The Student Room Group

Am I aiming too high with Oxford?

Hi,

I'm in year 12 and decided fairly recently that I want to go into medicine. It wasn't a particularly sudden decision, I've been really interested in the field for a number of years but just didn't have the confidence.

I did pretty well at GCSE (all 7+ but mostly 9s including in all the sciences) and have high target grades in my subjects.

It's been a dream of mine to study at Oxford but I just don't think I'm good enough. My mum told me to keep it in consideration but I don't want to get my hopes up when I know I'm not as strong as other potential candidates even just in my class at school (I go to a state school).

Outside of academics, I do a fair few of extra curricular activities many of which probably set me apart quite a bit but I just lack confidence in my academic ability.

I think that working hard I'd reach entry requirements for unis that want AAA but I don't know about the higher requirements at Oxford and insane competition.

I feel like if I told people I wanted to go to Oxford for medicine they wouldn't believe me so part of the confidence thing is probably largely how others would react.

Basically, what I'm asking is whether I should even try to apply for Oxford (I'd have to join this group at school which is scary!!) or just keep with other unis??
Biology, Chemistry, Physics: 9,9,9
RS: 9
History: 8
English Lit + Lang: 7,7
Maths: 7

I'm also sitting a modern language GCSE this year because I couldn't last year due to covid because I was an external candidate but I'll hopefully get a 9 as a native speaker.
Original post by thewannabevegan
Biology, Chemistry, Physics: 9,9,9
RS: 9
History: 8
English Lit + Lang: 7,7
Maths: 7

I'm also sitting a modern language GCSE this year because I couldn't last year due to covid because I was an external candidate but I'll hopefully get a 9 as a native speaker.

Just as a warning, some unis do not count native language exams towards your grades.
Ahhh that's okay thanks for letting me know, do you know where I can find the data on how GCSE-heavy med schools are for future reference?
Original post by thewannabevegan
Ahhh that's okay thanks for letting me know, do you know where I can find the data on how GCSE-heavy med schools are for future reference?

Cambridge looks less at GCSE but needs more than AAA, they want A*A*A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending