Disappointed with med uni choices

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Basically I applied to lower ranked unis for medicine and I KNOW THAT RANKING DOESN'T MATTER FOR MEDICINE. I know it's hidden when you're applying for jobs. But I'm still feeling disappointed with myself because I think I am very smart both in school and in terms of interviews as well. It's just my ucat that let me down so I had to apply to these unis. I have classmates who are no where near as smart as me who have applied to Cambridge etc. But I haven't applied to any top unis. I know it doesn't matter but I'm still kinda worried because I'll still interact with people who are doing non medical courses in my uni e.g. people who I share accommodation with. And I'm just scared that my uni experience won't be that great like I don't want to be around alcohol and drugs all day and be in that kind of circle.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Why are you anon? You do know that Cambridge uses the BMAT, right? Who you choose to hang out with at uni is entirely up to you. There are alcoholics and drug users at every university.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically I applied to lower ranked unis for medicine and I KNOW THAT RANKING DOESN'T MATTER FOR MEDICINE. I know it's hidden when you're applying for jobs. But I'm still feeling disappointed with myself because I think I am very smart both in school and in terms of interviews as well. It's just my ucat that let me down so I had to apply to these unis. I have classmates who are no where near as smart as me who have applied to Cambridge etc. But I haven't applied to any top unis. I know it doesn't matter but I'm still kinda worried because I'll still interact with people who are doing non medical courses in my uni e.g. people who I share accommodation with. And I'm just scared that my uni experience won't be that great like I don't want to be around alcohol and drugs all day and be in that kind of circle.
You do know that just because a Uni is not UCAT-heavy it doesn't make them less "prestigious" right?

No university that's worth its med school will let their med students be around alcohol and drugs all day.
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You do realise that even if you go to Cambridge that you will still interact with students from other courses

Could hang up a sign stating that anyone who doesn't study medicine is out of my league.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Why are you anon? You do know that Cambridge uses the BMAT, right? Who you choose to hang out with at uni is entirely up to you. There are alcoholics and drug users at every university.
Yeah I'm not talking about Cambridge specifically. I'm talking about other uni's in general. I didn't do the bmat I believe it was the right choice at that time because my mental health was already quite bad. It's just I feel like I could have applied to different unis but my ucat ruined it all. And it feels really overwhelming at school whenever people ask me where I've applied and I tell them and they are like "I thought you were smart. Why did you apply to these unis?" And I know I shouldn't care what they think. But honestly I feel really disappointed as I couldn't apply to the unis I wanted to
Anonymous #1

(Original post by ecolier)
You do know that just because a Uni is not UCAT-heavy it doesn't make them less "prestigious" right?

No university that's worth its med school will let their med students be around alcohol and drugs all day.
Yeah ofc I know that but people around me don't seem to understand that and question my intelligence because I've applied to these unis
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah ofc I know that but people around me don't seem to understand that and question my intelligence because I've applied to these unis
Well then in that case those people aren't worth associating with.

When you enter one of these "low ranking" med schools (:facepalm:) you'll make new friends anyway.

Who cares about those 20x A* / UCAT 3600 / Oxbridge elitist people?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wifd149)
You do realise that even if you go to Cambridge that you will still interact with students from other courses

Could hang up a sign stating that anyone who doesn't study medicine is out of my league.
Thats not what I mean but people in Cambridge for example doing non medical courses will still probably be a bit more intelligent than people doing the same course in a lower ranked uni
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You might want to remove that stick from your arse, pal. Just because somewhere's 'low ranking' doesn't mean it's going to be full of dullards, alcoholics, and smackrats.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Well then in that case those people aren't worth associating with.

When you enter one of these "low ranking" med schools (:facepalm:) you'll make new friends anyway.

Who cares about those 20x A* / UCAT 3600 / Oxbridge elitist people?
I guess you're right. I'm just worried about the uni experience that's all. Idk would you be aware of any medical students who have fallen into the wrong circle because of their uni?
lysave
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
babes this is a problem of YOUR ego. If u rlly think ur special and better than everyone else you won't make it far in life. Let go of ur ego and enjoy your life and u will be so much happier. In terms of ur drugs and alc comments fully do you not think oxbridge students drink? Some of the CRAZIEST stories i've heard have been from oxbridge lmaoooo.
lysave
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I guess you're right. I'm just worried about the uni experience that's all. Idk would you be aware of any medical students who have fallen into the wrong circle because of their uni?
babes its never because of their uni. Circumstances are circumstances I come from a very poor country and some very bad circles and I've turned out fine.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Nope, if anything it will be because that student themselves cannot resist temptation.

I can guarantee you that there will be bad people in Oxbridge or London.
wifd149
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thats not what I mean but people in Cambridge for example doing non medical courses will still probably be a bit more intelligent than people doing the same course in a lower ranked uni
I know many intelligent people that chose to attend Open University for law and now work in reputable law firms. The only thing that is bringing you down right now is how much attachment and importance that you give to other people's perspective of your intelligence. It is in your best benefit to disregard their own assumptions. I know that it isn't as easy and there will be times where you can feel hurt by false interjections, but you need to recognise that your worth isn't fully or substantially dependant on what others think of you.

Feel free to drop out if you are able to, although you would still have to answer why did you choose to do that when you apply to other places - which is why I personally don't find that moving to a more "prestigious" institution is fundamentally useful to be honest.
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lysave)
babes this is a problem of YOUR ego. If u rlly think ur special and better than everyone else you won't make it far in life. Let go of ur ego and enjoy your life and u will be so much happier. In terms of ur drugs and alc comments fully do you not think oxbridge students drink? Some of the CRAZIEST stories i've heard have been from oxbridge lmaoooo.
Just out of curiosity could you share one of these stories.

I'm very confused about the OP's thinking.
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
lysave
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Just out of curiosity could you share one of these stories?
So many people do coke at both Oxford and Cambridge. Plus don't even get me started on "stuff it" but I think that was hopefully a rumor.
black tea
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You need to get over yourself, tbh. It doesn't matter where you will go to uni for medicine, your degree and career prospects will be exactly the same, and many people dream of getting an offer from any uni. And jeez, imagine sharing accommodation with a non-medic - what if you get some horrible disease from those plebs? (Tip - you can rent a flat on your own if you are worried about bad company; rent will be much cheaper near the less "prestigious" medical schools)
Last edited by black tea; 3 months ago
lysave
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
type “david cameron pig” into google.
bye i forgot about that jaillllll
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lysave)
EXACTLY!! You’ll still get people doing drugs and drinking at oxbridge 😂 your uni experience is what you make of it!! And regardless you’re going to have to interact will less intelligent people at some point in your life😂😂
Surnia
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
A uni is a collection of buildings and I'm not aware that bricks and glass can cause an individual to make poor decisions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.86%
The paper was reasonable (69)
39.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.71%

Watched Threads