Is 12 hrs revision a week fine(2hours a day)

Watch this thread
ds.15s
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is 2 hours a day(except fridays) of revisin fine leading up to gcse

Quadrinomial
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ds.15s)
Yes, as long as you are using those hours effectively and feel you can achieve the grades you want to.
ds.15s
Rep:
How exactly can i use it effectively. Any tips?
Quadrinomial
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
How exactly can i use it effectively. Any tips?
Ensure it's focussed study. Doing 2 hours but getting distracted by things such as your phone won't be effective.

I would make a list of all the topics you want to revise for each subject then plan out in which weeks you will cover those topics. Don't feel you need to stick rigidly to a daily structure as long as you're on target with your plan.
Use the revision techniques that work for you and if you do 2 hours of study every day or 12 hrs a week where you stay really focussed you will do well in your exams .
ds.15s
Rep:
(Original post by Quadrinomial)
Ensure it's focussed study. Doing 2 hours but getting distracted by things such as your phone won't be effective.

I would make a list of all the topics you want to revise for each subject then plan out in which weeks you will cover those topics. Don't feel you need to stick rigidly to a daily structure as long as you're on target with your plan.
Use the revision techniques that work for you and if you do 2 hours of study every day or 12 hrs a week where you stay really focussed you will do well in your exams .
Luckily my phone which was my biggest distraction broke last week. When im doing the 2 hours a day. Should i do 2 hours a day of one subject or eg 1 hr maths then 1 hr chemistry
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
That should be good for the term-time, but then in the Easter holidays, I did around 7-8 hours of revision a day (for 11 subjects). To get top grades, how about starting something like:
9-9:50 revise
10-10:50 revise
10:50-11:20 break
11:20-12 revise
12-1:30 lunch & walk
1:30-2:20 revise
2:30-3:20 revise
3:20-3:40 break
3:40-4:30 revise
4:40:5:20 revise
5:20-6 break
6-6:50 revise
7-7:50 revise
And then the rest of the evening off
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Luckily my phone which was my biggest distraction broke last week. When im doing the 2 hours a day. Should i do 2 hours a day of one subject or eg 1 hr maths then 1 hr chemistry
When you are revising, put your phone in another room!
It depends if you find you get less productive if you do 2hours of the same subject, or if you want to finish a topic/section and get into the chemistry vibe.
_kvymnnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
That should be good for the term-time, but then in the Easter holidays, I did around 7-8 hours of revision a day (for 11 subjects). To get top grades, how about starting something like:
Just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting??
lamia_bts
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Dat seems good, doing 50min sessions...
Altho hard for me. Since motivation is my no1 problem I know damn well I can never go back to the FOCUSED mindset after a break.
So when I get motivation(very rare) I'll study a chunk of hours. πŸ˜«πŸ˜”πŸ˜­
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lamia_bts)
Dat seems good, doing 50min sessions...
Altho hard for me. Since motivation is my no1 problem I know damn well I can never go back to the FOCUSED mindset after a break.
So when I get motivation(very rare) I'll study a chunk of hours. πŸ˜«πŸ˜”πŸ˜­
I found doing 50 mins with 10min breaks really helpful. I always set timers so it was obvious when I had to stop/start.
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I might as well ask on this thread. But any tips for MOTIVATION?! πŸ˜«πŸ˜”
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _kvymnnn)
Just out of curiosity, what did you end up getting??
11 9s!
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
11 9s!
I-
How.. πŸ˜”
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I might as well ask on this thread. But any tips for MOTIVATION?! πŸ˜«πŸ˜”
I think: remember what you are working towards and why you want to do it. So maybe you don't care so much about e.g. RS, but you know that you want to get to a good uni, so to achieve that you want to do as well as you possibly can.
And also believing that you can do it, and don't get freaked out by other people saying they either revised 700 hours per day or didn't revise at all. Keep your head down and focus on yourself. Also: plan nice things to do at the end of e.g. mocks, and have a set time when you go to sleep, even if you didn't finish what you wanted to
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
11 9s!
Might as well ask u what ur revision techniques were for core subjects.
Altho ik it varies for individuals. But I'm curious.
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I-
How.. πŸ˜”
for GCSE:
for sciences: learn the textbook, make sure you understand everything
maths: just do past papers and more past papers
english: prep bullet points of analysis for each poem you are given
languages: put all your vocab into Quizlet
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Might as well ask u what ur revision techniques were for core subjects.
Altho ik it varies for individuals. But I'm curious.
I'm not sure if my revision technique is what is officially recommended, but for me, when I write stuff down I learn it.
For the sciences, I would get the textbook, read 1 page and then cover it up and write down bullet points of everything I remembered. Then I would look back and add in a coloured pen anything I forgot. So I worked my way through the textbook. Then when you do it again, you remember more and more.
I found Quizlet sets really helpful, so for example for chemistry I would test myself on the reactivity series or the colours of indicators, things like that

Maths is just about doing practice questions.
What GCSEs are you doing?
_kvymnnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
11 9s!
Wow! Congratulations! Hard work clearly paid off!
booklover1313
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oh and my last tip lamia_bts, is when I had any question or didn't understand anything, I would write it down on a post-it note and stick it in my textbook, and then go to my teacher at break and ask them every single question. Or email before and ask for a time. But basically if there is anything you don't get, ask your teacher, because then you are revising from a place of understanding everything, rather than trying to figure stuff out as you go. I once showed up to my bio teacher with like 20 questions, but it was 100% worth it.
lamia_bts
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oh and my last tip lamia_bts, is when I had any question or didn't understand anything, I would write it down on a post-it note and stick it in my textbook, and then go to my teacher at break and ask them every single question. Or email before and ask for a time. But basically if there is anything you don't get, ask your teacher, because then you are revising from a place of understanding everything, rather than trying to figure stuff out as you go. I once showed up to my bio teacher with like 20 questions, but it was 100% worth it.
Thank youuu Imma do dat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.44%
The paper was reasonable (133)
36.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.17%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.44%

Watched Threads