How long do they take to cancel deferred entry?

Watch this thread
Bigman02
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I want to cancel my deferred entry at uni of sheffield and reapply through ucas before the deadline, is there enough time for that or am I too late and it won’t be done in time for me to reapply?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Bigman02)
I want to cancel my deferred entry at uni of sheffield and reapply through ucas before the deadline, is there enough time for that or am I too late and it won’t be done in time for me to reapply?
If you email them and call them to follow up on it, there should be time. Calling is important because it's a really busy time of year for them, and they may not action an email by itself in time. Just be polite and let them know you are reapplying before the Jan deadline.
Bigman02
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
If you email them and call them to follow up on it, there should be time. Calling is important because it's a really busy time of year for them, and they may not action an email by itself in time. Just be polite and let them know you are reapplying before the Jan deadline.
So I should email and call? I heard some people say I should just ring them, thanks.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
So I should email and call? I heard some people say I should just ring them, thanks.
Some uni’s need something in writing so you may save yourself some time by emailing and then following up shortly afterwards with a call.
abbie-0525
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi have you managed to do this? I’m in the same position with Sheffield, I emailed them to withdraw and they said I can withdraw through UCAS but I thought they had to do it?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by abbie-0525)
Hi have you managed to do this? I’m in the same position with Sheffield, I emailed them to withdraw and they said I can withdraw through UCAS but I thought they had to do it?
You can only withdraw from an offer from the current cycle. If it's a deferred offer then the uni has to do it.
abbie-0525
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You can only withdraw from an offer from the current cycle. If it's a deferred offer then the uni has to do it.
Thanks, yeah that’s what I thought. I’m guessing they got mixed up even though I was quite clear I had a deferred place
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks, yeah that’s what I thought. I’m guessing they got mixed up even though I was quite clear I had a deferred place
Probably just someone new or who had a brain fart. Just give them a call tomorrow and explain you don’t have that option via Hub.
abbie-0525
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey just to let you know, they seem to be dragging their feet a bit. I’d call the admissions department for your subject directly, I did this morning and they’ve passed me on directly to the main admissions team which should go through quicker than if you emailed them yourself. I was told that they could take up to a week to even reply if I emailed directly. But also send the admissions team for your subject a quick email so that it’s in writing that you’d like to cancel your place. I am panicking a bit though, they might not even reply for a few days and apparently it can take a few days for UCAS to update
abbie-0525
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Probably just someone new or who had a brain fart. Just give them a call tomorrow and explain you don’t have that option via Hub.
Thanks for your help. Do you by any chance know how long it would take for them to process it? Just panicking as when I asked them to defer my place last year, it took a week to show on UCAS
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for your help. Do you by any chance know how long it would take for them to process it? Just panicking as when I asked them to defer my place last year, it took a week to show on UCAS
I can't say I'm afraid, it just depends when someone is available to do it. It's a very busy time of year for them.

However it's a relatively quick job and once they do it, and it should show up on hub within 1 working day. If you call, I'd just politely let them know that you are looking to reapply by the 26th so appreciate if it could be actioned in good time for then.
Bigman02
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey just to let you know, they seem to be dragging their feet a bit. I’d call the admissions department for your subject directly, I did this morning and they’ve passed me on directly to the main admissions team which should go through quicker than if you emailed them yourself. I was told that they could take up to a week to even reply if I emailed directly. But also send the admissions team for your subject a quick email so that it’s in writing that you’d like to cancel your place. I am panicking a bit though, they might not even reply for a few days and apparently it can take a few days for UCAS to update
Wait so you called and they told you to email not call? So you have to wait for the email to be processed? I was gonna call tomorrow but now I’m worried there won’t be enough time. Thanks for letting me know, wanted to cancel to apply to Liverpool but now idek if I should risk it.
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Wait so you called and they told you to email not call? So you have to wait for the email to be processed? I was gonna call tomorrow but now I’m worried there won’t be enough time. Thanks for letting me know, wanted to cancel to apply to Liverpool but now idek if I should risk it.
Call them to check where to email and what information they need.

Ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.

Ask if there is a specific staff member who you should address your email to or copy in.
abbie-0525
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Basically I emailed the admissions team for my department saying that I wanted to cancel my deferred place, I think they got mixed up though as they said I could do it through UCAS. So I called them this afternoon to explain, and the lady I spoke to said that she didn’t have the authority to do that, but that she would pass my email on to someone in the main admissions team. I was really panicking as it came across like it might not get done in time, but at 5 o clock I got the email through from UCAS saying it’s sorted!! So once I’d spoken to them it was completed in a few hours

Don’t email the [email protected] address bc i was told they can take a week to reply so you probably wouldn’t get sorted in time. Find the admissions email for your department and send them a quick email in the morning as they need to have your request in writing, then call in the afternoon and just say you’ve emailed but you thought it’d be a good idea to ring too as they’re really busy at this time of year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
23.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (8)
11.27%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.63%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.08%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
22.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
22.54%

Watched Threads