Im in my third year of University and I want to quit but I don't know what to next

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Im in my third year of my physics degree and I just can't do It anymore. I was only able to pass second year thanks to everything being online and due to Chegg and my knowledge of Physics dissipated entirely after first year, so any chance of me being able to successfully complete this year are pretty much zero.

I originally got in with a BTEC in medical science and I thought I could do it with that, but boy was I wrong. This wouldn't even be that much of a problem if I could actually do the work, even if I didn't enjoy it, but I absolutely am totally lost. I am willing to bet that even you reading this, who may or may not even do physics probably has a better chance of passing this year than I am.

I want to quit, but having to explain this to my parents is an absolute hassle. In fact one of the reasons I even went to university was so I could just get away from them. I don't personally care if I pass or fail at this point, but its a problem as its going to be a colossal pain in the backside having to explain it to them. I want them out of my life entirely, and I want to know how to do that and what my options are.

I want to:
- Quit University. (I have no interest in other courses, and I couldn't do them even if I wanted to because I only have a BTEC in medical science and I'm just going to have to start university all over again)
- Get a stable living via a job or apprenticeship so I can at least comfortably live on my own in a small place. (This is probably the most important, I have a BTEC in medical science (my grades were MMP), how can I use it to be financially stable enough to the point I can at least live on my own?)
- Get my toxic family out of my live so I will never have to rely on them again and can finally be free of them.

I would like some advice as to how I can achieve this with my current situation please, it would be much appreciated!
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Most unis have a 'combined science' option which you can switch to - even in 3rd year. See example HERE. Don't stay and struggle on with physics when you can swap to another topic for your final year. Don't drop out - such a waste when you have worked so hard.

Bank your 2 years of credits for the 2 years of physics yo have already completed and then, for your final year, look to do some science modules you find interesting e.g. material science, environmental science
socialintrovert
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I'm in my 3rd year of uni and have lost all motivation and quite frankly want it all over. I'm staying on because I've already done 2 years and I don't want to feel that I wasted all my time. Whether you pass or fail at least you would have tried. Like someone else said, maybe you can swap to another topic for your final year to make life a little easier on yourself. Don't be so hard on yourself. All you can do is try your best. I don't have a lot of knowledge on moving out and affording rent etc. but I would probably recommend doing a house share as this is the cheapest option compared with living on your own. It's the most realistic option in your circumstances. If you manage to get a good income later on then yeah, you can probably afford to live on your own.
Mr Mustard
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I couldn't agree more!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.22%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.94%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (13)
16.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.46%

Watched Threads