Need help with essay now!

Watch this thread
themess14
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I'm a first year uni student and this will be my first essay submission. Before Christmas, my lecturer mentioned that we would have to submit an essay in January but didn't give any further information stating they would explain it after the holidays. I looked over the brief of it over Christmas just to get an idea about it and it made no sense so I put it aside to get my other work done.

Fast forward to last week when our teacher finally talked to us about the essay and let's just say, it sucked. I figured I'd just get the research done as a starting point and hopefully I could piece together how I'd write it after, it's only 1000 words.

As of last night, I have a bunch of random facts about the topic and still no idea how I'm meant to answer the essay question. I emailed my teacher asking for assistance ASAP but I feel she won't be that much help as she rarely is when it comes to over areas of the module. I have five days to write this thing and no idea what I'm doing.

So, has anyone got any advice on how to answer the essay question; "what is journalism for?"
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Define journalism.
themess14
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Define journalism.
In this context, I'd probably the practice of it. But the thing is our teacher said it was up to interpret the question, she would only provide us with sub-topics to research on. I think I want to do mine on educating/informing the public, as a form of entertainment and to uphold the truth/hold people accountable.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by themess14)
In this context, I'd probably the practice of it. But the thing is our teacher said it was up to interpret the question, she would only provide us with sub-topics to research on. I think I want to do mine on educating/informing the public, as a form of entertainment and to uphold the truth/hold people accountable.
Ok, so use that as your definition and jumping off point.
themess14
Rep:
Ok, so use that as your definition and jumping off point.
Still no idea what to say though I feel I could answer the question in one sentence better. I feel dumb, like I'm missing something obvious.
Last edited by themess14; 4 months ago
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by themess14)
Still no idea what to say though I feel I could answer the question in one sentence better. I feel dumb, like I'm missing something obvious.
It's your first essay, you only have to write 1,000 words and your lecturer has given you free rein. Take your basic points and expand them.

Plus you might want to consider the fact that the question doesn't limit your answer to any particular location or time.
themess14
Rep:
It's your first essay, you only have to write 1,000 words and your lecturer has given you free rein. Take your basic points and expand them.

Plus you might want to consider the fact that the question doesn't limit your answer to any particular location or time.
Ok, I think I understand. Here we go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
23.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (8)
11.27%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.63%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.08%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
22.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
22.54%

Watched Threads