Should I stay at my schools sixth form or go to college?

Watch this thread
Jane965
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have no idea what to do. My current school is pretty ok. I have amazing friends and the actual school is good aswell with above average facilities. However my parents want me to go to a grammer school. It has way better facilities but I don't know how I would feel about the competitive environment and as quite a shy person, I'm not sure if I would make any friends. I struggle under stressful situations and I'm not sure if grammar schools would be great for me but who knows. Another thing is the travel time. My current school is a 30 minute bus drive, the grammar school is 50 minutes which would leave me tired and uneasy. If anyone has advice I would rlly appreciate it
ricechan827
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I would probably go around to the grammar school to check it out and see properly if it's nice for you.

I moved back to my secondary school's sixth form (like 20mins from home) after going to an independent sixth form that was 5 mins away from home and it turned out to be way better than the independent one, and that the teacher's were familiar with me so they were all friendly to me. For me, a 20min drive is long but in the end it was worth it because it was just in whole a better experience than my first school (I used to walk home so sad lol cus the people and teachers there were sooo like detached and unfriendly).

I didn't check their school properly before I went so maybe that was why it went wrong. Just make sure you check before you decide haha.
But imo, a grammar school seems like a guarantee for future good grades(?) and would probably look better on your CV in the long run (like for applying to unis?).

BUT it's honestly up to you, this is just from my perspective as a first year uni student but as long as you get top/good grades from anywhere, it really shouldn't matter. If you're fortunate enough to get into grammar school, I would take the opportunity cus it would give you more opportunities to excel in your subject
Last edited by ricechan827; 3 months ago
Jane965
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by ricechan827)
I would probably go around to the grammar school to check it out and see properly if it's nice for you.

I moved back to my secondary school's sixth form (like 20mins from home) after going to an independent sixth form that was 5 mins away from home and it turned out to be way better than the independent one, and that the teacher's were familiar with me so they were all friendly to me. For me, a 20min drive is long but in the end it was worth it because it was just in whole a better experience than my first school (I used to walk home so sad lol cus the people and teachers there were sooo like detached and unfriendly).

I didn't check their school properly before I went so maybe that was why it went wrong. Just make sure you check before you decide haha.
But imo, a grammar school seems like a guarantee for future good grades(?) and would probably look better on your CV in the long run (like for applying to unis?).

BUT it's honestly up to you, this is just from my perspective as a first year uni student but as long as you get top/good grades from anywhere, it really shouldn't matter. If you're fortunate enough to get into grammar school, I would take the opportunity cus it would give you more opportunities to excel in your subject
Thank you sm for the input. I think I'll definitely do some research before making any decisions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.13%
The paper was reasonable (136)
37.16%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.51%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.21%

Watched Threads