OMG Police stopped me after I drove a bit with no lights on

Watch this thread
Noorals
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Had the shock of my life honestly, I genuinely forgot to turn my lights on, told the police officer it was a stupid mistake, he was VERY harsh. But I just apologised and said it won’t happen again. But boy am I nervous to go on the road again now smh

Any advice

Thanks
username5839543
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Be grateful that you only got a telling off as opposed to seriously injuring or killing someone else or your self. You’ll be fine, I don’t understand how you could mistakenly not turn your lights no, but hey I am sure you won’t make the same mistake twice.
Noorals
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
Be grateful that you only got a telling off as opposed to seriously injuring or killing someone else or your self. You’ll be fine, I don’t understand how you could mistakenly not turn your lights no, but hey I am sure you won’t make the same mistake twice.
Oh I will not forget
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Noorals)
Oh I will not forget
Well that’s OK then. You’ve learnt from your mistake.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Noorals)
Oh I will not forget
Probably the reason they were so harsh then!
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I think if you're pulling away from a well lit area, it is easier to forget if you are not in the routine.

I've typically sing the first line of Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer whenever it's dark, ("Your lights are on, but you're not home"), and it reminds me to check that I've popped them on instinctively.

Introduce it to the driving test I say.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I think if you're pulling away from a well lit area, it is easier to forget if you are not in the routine.

I've typically sing the first line of Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer whenever it's dark, ("Your lights are on, but you're not home"), and it reminds me to check that I've popped them on instinctively.

Introduce it to the driving test I say.
Oh how low tech! Love it!
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I have my headlights on for like 80-90% of the time I'm on the road to be honest. Dark? Headlights. Rain? Headlights. Overcast? Headlights. Low sun? Headlights. It's pretty rare that I don't just turn them on nowadays. Hard to forget when you just turn them on all the time anyway.

Had to install a headlight buzzer in the 'Rocco because I kept on leaving them on and flattening the battery, too used to the beeper in my other car letting me know.
Last edited by Nuffles; 3 months ago
TheMcSame
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
Easily done in modern cars with DRLs, particularly in well-lit areas, and the fact that we seem to have moved to this constantly backlit dash design doesn't help either. Really no need for the latter

Think I've only ever forgotten them once, in a well-lit area, looked down at the dash and was like 'wtf I can't see anything on there' then it clicked... Really needs to be put into law that dash backlights should only light up when the lights are switched on.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 3 months ago
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Easily done in modern cars with DRLs, and the fact that we seem to have moved to this constantly backlit dash design doesn't help either. Really no need for the latter
To be honest with you I've never driven, I just assumed that the driver would notice that it was darker than expected if they didn't have their lights turned on.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
My spouse and I couldn't work out how to turn the lights on when we first got a car. We were driving down this very long, hilly, completely pitch black road at about 10pm relying on the "always on" light from the car. :facepalm: We were driving like 30mph because it was so hard to see.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.5%
The paper was reasonable (132)
36.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.25%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed