Running for committee of society I’ve never been to

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I’m a first year student and a society has put out a notice asking for committee member applications, I want to run for treasurer but I’ve never been to any of their sessions before (they didn’t run last semester because of covid) and I’m scared the whole committee will just be 2nd and 3rd years who are already friends.

Should I go for it or wait until next year and join the society first? I want a position of responsibility but not sure if it would be weird to apply
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I’m a first year student and a society has put out a notice asking for committee member applications, I want to run for treasurer but I’ve never been to any of their sessions before (they didn’t run last semester because of covid) and I’m scared the whole committee will just be 2nd and 3rd years who are already friends.

Should I go for it or wait until next year and join the society first? I want a position of responsibility but not sure if it would be weird to apply
Go for it now. My experience of voluntary committees is that they are usually thankful for any applications as not many people are willing to give up their time. You will be welcomed as societies are there to get together people with a common interest and it won't matter what year you are in.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi there!

I think as long as you have a good idea of the type of activities, causes and objectives of the society then you should be fine applying for the committee membership. You have got nothing to lose by trying to get this position, and if not you can just start going to the society as a normal member and apply again next year.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
23.29%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (8)
10.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.48%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
13.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
21.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
24.66%

Watched Threads