Getting involved in the world of academia as a law student

Watch this thread
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The title is a bit dramatic - I apologise in advance

I’m an aspiring barrister, and I’m quite interested in academia. I was advised by university tutor - who is also a practising barrister - to try and get involved in publishing.

As a second year law student, this could only plausibly mean student journals. I’ve had a look at the Oxbridge student journals - he seemed to suggest that they’d ‘look’ better on my CV. The standard of their articles however is a lot higher than I’d thought a student journal would have. I have ideas on what I’d like to write and research about, and I enjoy the writing process so I’m not overly worried about the hypothetical hard work I’d have to put in.

Essentially, I have three questions. Firstly, does publishing in an Oxbridge student law journal actually look better than a more ‘normal’ RG university journal?

Secondly, would publishing at all in a student journal be beneficial to applications for masters (and pupillage down the line)?

Thirdly, there are a few blogs that I’ve found. They seem ‘legit’ (I’m very tired, so please excuse my vagueness!), and again, I have a few ideas on what I’d want to write about. Would these be at all beneficial on such applications (masters and pupillage)? I’m under the impression that for applications for masters, it would make virtually no difference.

Thanks
TFEU
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
-I’d say the Oxbridge ones might ‘look’ better, but it any other RG journals would be fine. Do keep in mind undergrad journals r not given that much credit because ppl know the selection/editing process are not nearly as stringent or rigorous (that includes Oxbridge). It’s also all about the editing so don’t worry about the standards being too high. Ur initial submission & the final draft usually looks very different.

-It might help a postgrad app but a lack of publications won’t necessarily disadvantage the app. Idk much about pupillage applications but almost every barrister I know h published a few articles. Do keep in mind most of them were/are quite interested academia so who knows whether they did it to increase their pupillage chances. They were also very strong candidates already so idk how much of a role those publications actually played.

-Depends on how legit the blog is (I too am very tired if u couldn’t tell already)

Btw I wouldn’t write an entire essay for the sole purpose of getting it published; that’s way too time consuming! Most just use a good piece of exam essay/coursework and work from that
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
(Original post by TFEU)
-I’d say the Oxbridge ones might ‘look’ better, but it any other RG journals would be fine. Do keep in mind undergrad journals r not given that much credit because ppl know the selection/editing process are not nearly as stringent or rigorous (that includes Oxbridge). It’s also all about the editing so don’t worry about the standards being too high. Ur initial submission & the final draft usually looks very different.

-It might help a postgrad app but a lack of publications won’t necessarily disadvantage the app. Idk much about pupillage applications but almost every barrister I know h published a few articles. Do keep in mind most of them were/are quite interested academia so who knows whether they did it to increase their pupillage chances. They were also very strong candidates already so idk how much of a role those publications actually played.

-Depends on how legit the blog is (I too am very tired if u couldn’t tell already)

Btw I wouldn’t write an entire essay for the sole purpose of getting it published; that’s way too time consuming! Most just use a good piece of exam essay/coursework and work from that
Have you published in a student journal? You're definitely right, and I have a few first class exam and coursework essays, so maybe I should stop stressing!

And yes that makes sense, the whole causation v correlation argument with regards to pupillage applications. I want to be able to be in a solid position for Oxbridge LLM (and BCL) applications, so anything that could help sounds good to me.

The blog is quite legit To be honest, I think I'll try and get involved in the blog anyway, more so because it could show a commitment to that area of law outside of university.

That's a good tip. That was my initial plan, but a lot of student journals stipulate that they only accept articles with regards to new developments in the law, and my exam and coursework essays have not been concerned with particularly recent legal issues.

Thank you!
Last edited by hopeful-lawyer; 3 months ago
TFEU
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hopeful-lawyer)
Have you published in a student journal? You're definitely right, and I have a few first class exam and coursework essays, so maybe I should stop stressing!

And yes that makes sense, the whole causation v correlation argument with regards to pupillage applications. I want to be able to be in a solid position for Oxbridge LLM (and BCL) applications, so anything that could help sounds good to me.

The blog is quite legit To be honest, I think I'll try and get involved in the blog anyway, more so because it could show a commitment to that area of law outside of university.

That's a good tip. That was my initial plan, but a lot of student journals stipulate that they only accept articles with regards to new developments in the law, and my exam and coursework essays have not been concerned with particularly recent legal issues.

Thank you!
Yes. I've also been on the editorial board for a few journals and all the submissions we received were coursework essays. For one journal, we also wanted first-class essays with their examiner's feedback, so it might be harder to do if you are starting from scratch.

For the Cantab LLM & Oxford BCL, I just want to stress that grades > everything else. They really do not expect publications from undergrads, and please don't pursue academic writing at the expense of ur grades (E.g: top of year & no publications > Good first with blog posts/publications). With that being said, the BCL is an interesting one because they also require you to submit a piece of written work, so theoretically you would already be dedicating a good chunk of your time to editing and elevating a single piece of writing. In fact, it's good to submit a draft or even a forthcoming paper because the paper would have gone through the peer-review process.
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
(Original post by TFEU)
Yes. I've also been on the editorial board for a few journals and all the submissions we received were coursework essays. For one journal, we also wanted first-class essays with their examiner's feedback, so it might be harder to do if you are starting from scratch.

For the Cantab LLM & Oxford BCL, I just want to stress that grades > everything else. They really do not expect publications from undergrads, and please don't pursue academic writing at the expense of ur grades (E.g: top of year & no publications > Good first with blog posts/publications). With that being said, the BCL is an interesting one because they also require you to submit a piece of written work, so theoretically you would already be dedicating a good chunk of your time to editing and elevating a single piece of writing. In fact, it's good to submit a draft or even a forthcoming paper because the paper would have gone through the peer-review process.
Do you think it matters much then that the coursework I can submit (i.e. first class essays that I'm satisfied with) are not related to recent legal developments?

Also, I have an exam essay which I'm particularly happy with. Do you think it'd be worth submitting that, even if the quality is not as great as a coursework essay would be?

Thank you I'll definitely focus on publishing already-written essays in that case. As you say, no point writing a whole new article!
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
(Original post by TFEU)

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to edit a piece of coursework before submission? My essay I'm considering submitting was a low first, and while I'm content with it, I recognise it needs some editing, it was quite rushed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
19.35%
The paper was reasonable (102)
36.56%
Not feeling great about that exam... (81)
29.03%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
15.05%

Watched Threads