Will an EPQ be beneficial if I’m applying to medicine?

Watch this thread
daisyblue_72
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I have been given the option of doing an EPQ and am wondering if med schools really look at them or whether my time would be better spent elsewhere e.g to get the grades I need.
My school said it’s worth half an A level, but if I’m applying in October and complete next Easter like they suggest, I’m trying to weigh up if it’s worth it or not, whether it will enhance my application for this course or not?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by daisyblue_72)
Hello,

I have been given the option of doing an EPQ and am wondering if med schools really look at them or whether my time would be better spent elsewhere e.g to get the grades I need.
My school said it’s worth half an A level, but if I’m applying in October and complete next Easter like they suggest, I’m trying to weigh up if it’s worth it or not, whether it will enhance my application for this course or not?

Hi,

I hope you find the advice you're looking for. You could always check out the EPQ section as well.

Good luck,

MP
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It's just something to put on your personal statement and talk about at interview. It does reduce your offer from AAA to AAB with a decent EPQ grade for Lancaster, Sheffield and HYMS and get you extra UCAS points for QMUL.
Last edited by hungrysalamander; 3 months ago
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
It's just something to put on your personal statement and talk about at interview. It does reduce your offer from AAA to AAB with a decent EPQ grade for Lancaster, Sheffield and HYMS and get you extra UCAS points for QMUL.
Sounds good. And hopefully not too time consuming?

MP
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
There is a November/January entry option (which depends on the exam board). If you start in the Summer term when it's quiet at the end and do the bulk of it over the Summer holidays you can get it out of the way before the final push for A level grades. You'll also know all about it to talk about at early interviews and even have the result for later ones.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hello,

I didnt do an EPQ for lowering grade boundaries, I did it so I could speak about it and could be asked about it at interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (55)
19.03%
The paper was reasonable (107)
37.02%
Not feeling great about that exam... (84)
29.07%
It was TERRIBLE (43)
14.88%

Watched Threads