Should I drop out of sixth form

Watch this thread
Lillyp603
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am in my second year of A-levels and I have completely given up and don't care about getting good grades anymore, I never do my homework and my current plan is to either skip my exams or just sleep through them. I have a job part time that are desperate for full time staff so I wouldn't just be sat at home everyday if I dropped out. I just don't know if I should do it because I'm worried a full time job is going to be too much or if I hate it there's not much I can do. Someone please help I have no idea what to do.
GP1983
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lillyp603)
I am in my second year of A-levels and I have completely given up and don't care about getting good grades anymore, I never do my homework and my current plan is to either skip my exams or just sleep through them. I have a job part time that are desperate for full time staff so I wouldn't just be sat at home everyday if I dropped out. I just don't know if I should do it because I'm worried a full time job is going to be too much or if I hate it there's not much I can do. Someone please help I have no idea what to do.
`Sorry to hear that. Do you know why you're feeling like this? Are you feeling OK about other parts of life?
There are plenty of opportunities ahead of you but it's an important time to be making choices as getting courses / training is easier now than when you're older and out of the formal system.
First though, if there's someone you can have an honest confidential talk with, do that. It should help you understand what's going on and get an outside perspective. Ideally that might be a tutor / teacher who will have seen people through this before and should know what your options are, including some you may not know of. Otherwise you may have family people you can open up to. Another option is to see your GP, particularly if you're aware that your outlook on life in general has become rather bleak. Clinical depression is not uncommon, doesn't necessarily need an outside cause, and is well worth checking for as it can often be treated very effectively, especially if managed fairly early.
The WORST thing to do is to just keep this to yourself, bomb the exams (people will then think they reflected your ability, which obviously they won't) and go on in no particular direction feeling bad about yourself.
So - please - go talk with someone who can help you find your best way forward.

Best wishes !
Lillyp603
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by GP1983)
`Sorry to hear that. Do you know why you're feeling like this? Are you feeling OK about other parts of life?
There are plenty of opportunities ahead of you but it's an important time to be making choices as getting courses / training is easier now than when you're older and out of the formal system.
First though, if there's someone you can have an honest confidential talk with, do that. It should help you understand what's going on and get an outside perspective. Ideally that might be a tutor / teacher who will have seen people through this before and should know what your options are, including some you may not know of. Otherwise you may have family people you can open up to. Another option is to see your GP, particularly if you're aware that your outlook on life in general has become rather bleak. Clinical depression is not uncommon, doesn't necessarily need an outside cause, and is well worth checking for as it can often be treated very effectively, especially if managed fairly early.
The WORST thing to do is to just keep this to yourself, bomb the exams (people will then think they reflected your ability, which obviously they won't) and go on in no particular direction feeling bad about yourself.
So - please - go talk with someone who can help you find your best way forward.

Best wishes !
Hi thanks for this. Yeah there are a lot of things in my life making me feel like this and I've been struggling with my mental health for years but never spoke to a GP about it so never had any kind of assessment or diagnosis. I missed 2 months of school because I had an operation and now I'm so far behind and have no motivation to catch up and I just want to quit so bad but my friends don't think it's a good idea and most places I look online people suggest staying in school too but with my current mental state being there isn't doing me any good either I don't think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (14)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
6.25%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (9)
14.06%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
21.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed