PCN

Watch this thread
Nahidhossen03
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Anyone studying law (or with good knowledge)? I got hearing soon for a Bus lane contravention with my motorcycle. There was no bus in Bus lane at the time of alleged contravention.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Nahidhossen03)
There was no bus in Bus lane at the time of alleged contravention.
So? Why do you believe that makes a difference?
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
(Original post by IWMTom)
So? Why do you believe that makes a difference?
The other name of 'Bus Lane' is 'Priority Lane'. What does 'Priority' mean in legal context?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
The other name of 'Bus Lane' is 'Priority Lane'. What does 'Priority' mean in legal context?
If you think you can win with that lousy attempt then you're sorely mistaken. Good look paying court costs on top of your fine!
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
If you think you can win with that lousy attempt then you're sorely mistaken. Good look paying court costs on top of your fine!
I don't understand why is it lousy. The lanes are there for buses on priority basis, isn't that right?
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
What did it say on the blue sign - the rules vary as to whether motorbikes can always use the bus lane or only outside of operating hours.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I think if this was a valid loophole then the boys and girls on the various motoring support forums would have picked up on it by now.

Here's the relevant bit of the highway code which I'm sure you'll be familiar with:

"141
Bus lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs that indicate which (if any) other vehicles are permitted to use the bus lane. Unless otherwise indicated, you should not drive in a bus lane during its period of operation. You may enter a bus lane to stop, to load or unload where this is not prohibited."
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I don't understand why is it lousy. The lanes are there for buses on priority basis, isn't that right?
The lanes are there for the vehicles described in the blue sign. That's it.

Any level of trying to find a loophole is akin to freemanism and just makes you look silly.
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
I think if this was a valid loophole then the boys and girls on the various motoring support forums would have picked up on it by now.

Here's the relevant bit of the highway code which I'm sure you'll be familiar with:

"141
Bus lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs that indicate which (if any) other vehicles are permitted to use the bus lane. Unless otherwise indicated, you should not drive in a bus lane during its period of operation. You may enter a bus lane to stop, to load or unload where this is not prohibited."
I am not looking for any loopholes. I am only trying to interpret common sense.
Last edited by Nahidhossen03; 5 months ago
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I am not looking for any loopholes. I am only trying to interpret common sense.
It would definitely be a loophole because it would call into question the validity of every lane penalty that have ever been issued whilst not in the presence of a bus.

Regarding common sense, what part of section 141 are you hoping that you fall under?
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
It would definitely be a loophole because it would call into question the validity of every lane penalty that have ever been issued whilst not in the presence of a bus.

Regarding common sense, what part of section 141 are you hoping that you fall under?
Why did they use the word 'should' rather than 'must'?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Why did they use the word 'should' rather than 'must'?
This is covered in the introduction to the highway code:

“Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.”
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
This is covered in the introduction to the highway code:

“Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.”
That helps. Another part, are the authorities obliged to put camera sign if CCTV enforcement are deployed? In other words, can we say operation was 'Covert' if they did not let the people know? All that being said, I had no intention to ride in 'priority lane' but something might have happened that time. I can not recall details as it happened in August.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
That helps. Another part, are the authorities obliged to put camera sign if CCTV enforcement are deployed? In other words, can we say operation was 'Covert' if they did not let the people know? All that being said, I had no intention to ride in 'priority lane' but something might have happened that time. I can not recall details as it happened in August.
No, there is no requirement for a sign advising cameras are monitoring the bus lane.
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
No, there is no requirement for a sign advising cameras are monitoring the bus lane.
Thanks. Just asked as some places there are camera signs and some don't.
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The lanes are there for the vehicles described in the blue sign. That's it.

Any level of trying to find a loophole is akin to freemanism and just makes you look silly.
Just wondered whether you are a law student?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just wondered whether you are a law student?
No, I'm just capable of rational thought.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah any argument along the lines of 'Is a bus lane really a bus lane'? would be stamped on unless you had a specific exemption or it was out of service hours, but the fact you've already got this far implies neither of those applies.

(No, they don't need to show CCTV signs on roads, you have to assume you are always being lawfully filmed in public, especially roads and public transport. it's not 'covert'.)
MyNameIsAiyan
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Dude, I got two lawyers who are good. Harvey n Mike
Nahidhossen03
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
No, I'm just capable of rational thought.
Surely you are. Unfortunately the court was in my favor when compared compliance with added measure!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads