My medication is running out which I got from a doctor abroad

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
But my next appointment with a doctor over here in the U.K. is on the 1st of March and that’s far too late for me. I’ve rang up my service and they’ve said that they can’t do nothing and that I have to wait till my appointment. What am I supposed to do??? My treatment is going to go all down the drain if I don’t get my meds on time here. Please please please if you have any advice please help me.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But my next appointment with a doctor over here in the U.K. is on the 1st of March and that’s far too late for me. I’ve rang up my service and they’ve said that they can’t do nothing and that I have to wait till my appointment. What am I supposed to do??? My treatment is going to go all down the drain if I don’t get my meds on time here. Please please please if you have any advice please help me.
What medication is that?

Some drugs are not even on the BNF even if you manage to get a doctor to write you a prescription. It could simply not be available in this country.
AliceSwann
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Have you tried 111?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
What medication is that?

Some drugs are not even on the BNF even if you manage to get a doctor to write you a prescription. It could simply not be available in this country.
It’s sertraline, chlomipramine and risperidone. I think GPs can prescribe the first two but I’m worried about the third. I’ve been taking these medications for around 6 months for my OCD and thankfully they’ve had an effect and has reduced my compulsions and thoughts.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AliceSwann)
Have you tried 111?
I’m not sure they can do anything really or prescribe a medication but thank you.
ecolier
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It’s sertraline, chlomipramine and risperidone. I think GPs can prescribe the first two but I’m worried about the third. I’ve been taking these medications for around 6 months for my OCD and thankfully they’ve had an effect and has reduced my compulsions and thoughts.
All three are on the BNF and doctors here in the UK can prescribe

As you have rightly said, GPs may be reluctant to prescribe anti-psychotics. Do you have a letter from overseas doc?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
All three are on the BNF and doctors here in the UK can prescribe

As you have rightly said, GPs may be reluctant to prescribe anti-psychotics. Do you have a letter from overseas doc?
No I don’t and that’s the part that worries me because my mental health service have asked for it too. I should’ve got a letter, I don’t know why I didn’t ask for one.
username5839543
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You posted about this a couple of weeks ago. I remember you stating that you would continue to take the risperidone against the medical advice you had been given because you seemed to think your psychiatrist from was abroad was staggeringly good.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
You posted about this a couple of weeks ago. I remember you stating that you would continue to take the risperidone against the medical advice you had been given because you seemed to think your psychiatrist from was abroad was staggeringly good.
It was a nurse that talked to me about it. It wasn’t a psychiatrist.
username5839543
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It was a nurse that talked to me about it. It wasn’t a psychiatrist.
Nurses give medical advice.
I don’t think a nurse prescriber could give out risperidone anyway.
Anonymous #1
Nurses give medical advice.
I don’t think a nurse prescriber could give out risperidone anyway.
They give medical advice but I take medical advice from actual psychiatrists and it’s pretty obvious that they can’t give out medication.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
No I don’t and that’s the part that worries me because my mental health service have asked for it too. I should’ve got a letter, I don’t know why I didn’t ask for one.
Could you get in touch with the doctor from abroad and ask them to email you a letter?
username5839543
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
They give medical advice but I take medical advice from actual psychiatrists and it’s pretty obvious that they can’t give out medication.
Edit- I was incorrect, an independent prescribe can give out any medication in the BNF providing they are competent to do so. So a nurse might be able to, I very much doubt they would though.
Last edited by username5839543; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Could you get in touch with the doctor from abroad and ask them to email you a letter?
I could actually do that. The only problem is that where would I be able to translate the letter?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I could actually do that. The only problem is that where would I be able to translate the letter?
Could they write it in English? If not, you could have it translated by a medical translation company - probably worth the cost if the alternative is dating until March to get meds.
Napp
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Do you have the original prescription? You could always try a walk in/emergency GP for a small script (seeing as theyre not really abusable i dont see why not but others here can correct me) to tide you over until you can see your own GP? Failing that, try get an emergency appointment through the triarge line (no idea if itll work but thats how i used to 'queue jump' at the Docs ) or go doctor shopping and find a surgery with a shorter wait list
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I mean tbf to OP, I knew someone who took anti depressants for years for OCD, just made everything worse, when they started taking Risperidone, only then did things start to improve.
Last edited by ROTL94 2; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
I’ve just completed an online triage form with the medication and the mg I require, I’m hoping my GP will prescribe the medication but we’ll see what happens. Thanks guys
PeonyPose
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
All you can do is ask and explain, right? Doctors aren’t trying to gatekeep medications, they’re just trying to make sure they’re used appropriately, which it sounds like it is.

I work in a dementia care home and risperidone is not an uncommon medication to see. In my experience, as long as it is justified and likely to be beneficial, GPs and Nurse Prescribers have been more than happy to issue it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (12)
13.79%
The paper was reasonable (41)
47.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
31.03%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
8.05%

Watched Threads