Engineering/bioscience from Russell Group unis or any high ranked unis?

Watch this thread
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi I have finished my A Levels in Maths, Chem and Bio in August 2021 and am currently on a gap year, about to choose my final uni places for 2022 entry. I am thinking of applying for Chemical Engineering MEng/BEng and Computer Science MEng courses, as well as one Biomed Science course like a backup option. I'm keen on applying to Newcastle which is Russell Group. Their Chemical Engineering MEng course is ranked 18th in UK, but their biosciences courses are not highly ranked. I am also keen on applying to Strathclyde where the Biomed Sciences course is ranked 3rd in UK, Chemical Eng BEng is ranked 4th but I'll have to do masters separately later on and Computer Science MEng is ranked 21st. It has some high ranked courses but no one has really heard of it. My question is, once I get an MEng/MSci degree and apply for jobs in either of these fields, will employers be more likely to accept Russell Group uni graduates regardless of course ranking (like Newcastle), or a uni with a course that is highly ranked despite the uni not being as renowned or not being Russell Group (such as Strathclyde)?
Last edited by DaQuestioner; 4 months ago
aadil10
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
As an engineering (civil) grad, I can tell you that employers care very little about which university you went to and more about what experience you have from your studies, placements, and volunteering. MEng/Msc is essentially expected now, and make sure it's an accredited course if chartership is a long term career goal.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DaQuestioner)
Hi I have finished my A Levels in Maths, Chem and Bio in August 2021 and am currently on a gap year, about to choose my final uni places for 2022 entry. I am thinking of applying for Chemical Engineering MEng/BEng and Computer Science MEng courses, as well as one Biomed Science course like a backup option. I'm keen on applying to Newcastle which is Russell Group. Their Chemical Engineering MEng course is ranked 18th in UK, but their biosciences courses are not highly ranked. I am also keen on applying to Strathclyde where the Biomed Sciences course is ranked 3rd in UK, Chemical Eng BEng is ranked 4th but I'll have to do masters separately later on and Computer Science MEng is ranked 21st. It has some high ranked courses but no one has really heard of it. My question is, once I get an MEng/MSci degree and apply for jobs in either of these fields, will employers be more likely to accept Russell Group uni graduates regardless of course ranking (like Newcastle), or a uni with a course that is highly ranked despite the uni not being as renowned or not being Russell Group (such as Strathclyde)?
How have you written a PS to cope with all those options?

A year in industry is far more valued than a Russell group degree.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi DaQuestioner Really glad to hear you're considering using as as one of your options!

Happy to help with anything about Strathclyde that you'd like to know! We go by the 'Place of Useful Learning' which means that our Engineering degrees are really hands-on and practical, and we design them to be really useful for our students once they graduate. The same applies in our Science faculty, and our TSR student ambassador is actually a current student studying within the faculty and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any queries you have about student life (Cameron studies Software Engineering and you can drop him a message University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador if you'd like to )

To pick up on something you've mentioned here I just wanted to let you know that we do offer the integrated Masters route for Chem Eng too with us (UCAS code H801). Of course you could still undertake the BEng and then look for a Masters elsewhere if that's the route you were interested in but just wanted to mention that.

Employers won't necessarily know straight away that the uni you went to is Russell Group or not. They won't hire you because you've went to a specific university- they'll hire *you* as an individual and your skillset. They'll be looking for you to first and foremost have the right qualifications, and then they'll look to see what makes you the best person for the role- what work experience you've got/how good you are at working on certain projects or with people for example. The graduate marketplace is really competitive so keep an eye out for opportunities to make yourself stand out wherever possible throughout your studies!

Best of luck whatever you decide, and if you've any questions feel free to drop me a message!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi there!

My name is Leah and I am a final year chemical engineering student at the University of Bath. While not a Russel Group, Bath has an excellent reputation for both engineering and science.

When choosing a University, the most important thing is to see if the course aligns with your interests: What modules do you study and how do they differ between Universities? How many optional modules are available and do the options interest you? How much flexibility and choice do you get in research and design projects? Is a year in industry available? Are there any opportunities to study abroad? Second to the course, I would recommend having a think about what you want from your University experience: City or campus? Small or big? Big city or small city? How many students are in the city? What is the nightlife like? How are the transport connections and what is nearby? All of these factors are personal to you and ultimately which University you choose has a big impact on your experience.

As someone else said, the big thing for employers is not which University you went to but your experience / skills. So long as your degree is accredited by the relevant body, it is much more about you and your experiences which make the difference. A big thing here is to gain work experience - a year in industry offers a great opportunity to do this.

A little bit of information about Bath:
Bath is a campus University, with the campus being situated about 10 min bus journey out of the city centre. Unlike a city University, all of the University buildings are located on campus (with the exception of few accommodation buildings and a study space in the city centre). This makes for a campus ‘bubble’ as I would call it. Everything you need is on campus, including shops and excellent sports facilities. There is such a lovely community feel on campus which I fell in love with when I went to visit. The Student’s Union is also very good – there are so many societies, sports and volunteering opportunities to get involved with. I would highly recommend getting involved when you start as it’s a great way to meet new people.

Bath is a fairly small city - it is fairly lively but ultimately small compared to the likes of Bristol, Manchester and London (it is definitely more like a town than a city). Some people find that Bath can be quite quiet – particularly if you are used to living in a big city. I am not a big city person so Bath was a perfect size for me and I felt really at home when I went to visit. There is plenty going on – a busy high-street with lots of shops, pubs and bars, nightclubs and lots of cultural activities. However, the clubs are fairly small. While a night out in Bath is fun, it is not huge and it is very student heavy. Many students will go to Bristol for a night out, where you can find much bigger clubs. Bristol is about 10/15 minutes away by train and is great to explore. As I am sure you are aware, Bath is very popular tourist attraction – it is very pretty and I love living there.

The big thing that makes Bath stand out is its placement scheme. Over two-thirds of students do a work placement or study abroad (compared to other universities where this is around 10-15%). The department of engineering have a really supportive placement team who’s role is dedicated to helping students find placements and supporting whilst they are on placement. This help is invaluable in allowing students to secure placements. We have an online database where all the placement vacancies are posted, which means it is easy to see what you want to apply for. Some of these are open to all students but some are Bath specific, which makes securing a placement much more likely. The team also help with CV and application checking and interview preparation. After you have secured a placement, the team ensure your contact is in place and keep in contact with you whilst you are working to ensure everything is going well.

One thing I would say is that on UCAS, you can only submit 1 personal statement for all of your 5 options that you apply for. Writing a personal statement for chemical engineering, computer sciences and biosciences together may be a bit tricky! In some cases, Universities may contact you when applying and ask for an alternative personal statement when its obvious that you personal statement is not for the course you are applying to (this is quite common when people apply for medicine and their 5th option is a different science degree). You will likely improve your chances of getting offers from more Universities if you apply to 1 course and tailor your application to that course - just something to think about! You can find some guidance on personal statements here.

Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
How have you written a PS to cope with all those options?

A year in industry is far more valued than a Russell group degree.
Thank you for your response.
I originally applied for medicine so my personal statement was about that, but I only applied to 2 universities for medicine and am no longer going to do medicine. I am now looking at these engineering courses + 1 bioscience course and I want to fill my remaining 3 choices with them. Strathclyde have said they don't require any new personal statement from me about engineering as I am a med applicant and they recognise that my personal statement must be specific to medicine, and Newcastle have said I can attach a rewritten personal statement specific for the application to the course there by emailing them.
Newcastle offers Chemical Engineering MEng with a year's industrial placement, and Strathclyde offers Computer Science MEng with a paid industrial placement in the UK or abroad too, so I was wondering if I should take rankings/Russell group into account or something else?
Last edited by DaQuestioner; 4 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thank you for your response.
I originally applied for medicine so my personal statement was about that, but I only applied to 2 universities for medicine and am no longer going to do medicine. I am now looking at these engineering courses + 1 bioscience course and I want to fill my remaining 3 choices with them. Strathclyde have said they don't require any new personal statement from me about engineering as I am a med applicant and they recognise that my personal statement must be specific to medicine, and Newcastle have said I can attach a rewritten personal statement specific for the application to the course there by emailing them.
Newcastle offers Chemical Engineering MEng with a year's industrial placement, and Strathclyde offers Computer Science MEng with a paid industrial placement in the UK or abroad too, so I was wondering if I should take rankings/Russell group into account or something else?
I would say ignore rankings - look at the course modules and go for a placement year. If Chartered status is important then getting a Masters makes the process simpler.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
15.93%
The paper was reasonable (188)
49.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (96)
25.07%
It was TERRIBLE (38)
9.92%

Watched Threads