why are bus drivers angry and rude

Watch this thread
ziggy_ziggy
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello I decided to write this as a bus driver and from a bus drivers' perspective. There are a lot of comments slating bus drivers and very little from bus drivers themselves a few will defend themselves on the whole most people just hate bus drivers.

In fact, bus drivers are hated so much so that we appear on the list with traffic wardens as number 3 as the most hated workers. I wanted to give you our perspective. I am a bus driver but want to show you what we do go through.

If you thought the general public hate you would you intern like them, ask yourself this?

There are some articles on the internet telling you what it is like to be a bus driver but these articles have been authorized by bus company's management. They do not represent what the job is really like. Indeed, I watched a company video that showed what it was like. But they used actors in the film which said to all the drivers this is company spin not the truth.

I have read many comments slating bus drivers for not doing this and not doing that but the general public don't understand how difficult the job is. First of all, it's not easy driving a 40-foot bus and car drivers treat the bus as a hated thing they must get past sometimes I can be waiting a long time 20 cars will go past before someone will let the bus pull out. Remember the highway code says buses have priority highway code 223.

Then we have road works and angry car drivers to contend with people who park in bus lanes making our job even harder. Some of you have complained about bus drivers stopping just before or after a bus stand. This means you have to walk a little distance this is really lazy. We do this for safety reasons we do not want to collide with the bus shelter trust me we have all done this at some point.

Bus drivers get treated by the general public like scum. This is the truth bus drivers feel disrespected have abuse thrown at them on a regular basis. I cannot work one day in regular service without having abuse thrown at me. I try to be nice to passengers but I have noticed the lack of manors is staggering it's not much just to ask for a thank you. I think if you went to tescos to buy your shopping its the norm to say thank you to a check out girl or boy but if you're a bus driver you don't deserve that. I have also noticed old people have forgotten how to be nice and don't even bother to say thank you anymore and refuse to put their hand out.

I get many times why do you think I am waiting at a bus stop. I have stopped many times and been told I never wanted the bus. So just because you're at a bus stop does not mean you're waiting for a bus. If there are multiple buses running down that road means the driver has no idea you want his bus. it's not hard to ask passengers to put your hand out.

Then there is the threats and nastiness and abuse we get and as said spitting and even assaults. When I started the job 4 years ago, I was told about a bus driver who was standing outside by the company office where a member of the public stabbed him through his bag and into the side of the driver. Luckly the driver did survive.

Many of you have complained about drivers who have no change when you show up with a £20, £10 note. We are not bank's years ago buses gave no change out but know we are expected too carry change. We get no float from the company it is our own money can you image doing a job where you had to use your own money imagine in tesco as a checkout guy or girl having to use your own money. Many times people turn up with notes when their is a shop just behind them so this is what can ruin a bus drivers' day having to argue. Many passengers refuse to accept a change voucher or credit notes as well.

Many of you say the driver will just let me on for free if he has no change. Don't you understand this is a scam you are defrauding the bus company. Many do this on a regular basis to rip the company off. Remember it's your fares that pay the driver if all people start trying to travel for free. The bus companies will cut services refuse to pay drivers a far wage. Like they do know forcing drivers to go on strike. in the end drivers lose their job.

There are many passengers who see nothing wrong in short changing drivers. So at the end of the day when a driver has to cash the money in if he is short this comes out of his wages that's really nice ant it. Bus drivers have bills to pay and if £10 keeps coming out of his wage every day that could be £50 a week that's £200 a month. This used to happen to me a lot until I started checking I soon understood the public were ripping off the bus drivers.

You say the bus drivers are very rude and grumpy well if you have been threatened with physical violence, I think you would perhaps understand why they feel that way. I have had passengers demand I get out the cab and fight them in the street and in the bus station and the police don't seem to be bothered when we call them. But if we get out of the cab and deal with some of these horrible people and defended ourselves the bus company will in all likely fire the bus driver.

Passengers know that bus drivers can't do anything apart from call the police that's why they treat bus drivers like crap. Passengers know the bus companies will not back their drivers up so people get away with murder. If drivers did not fear losing their jobs which they need to pay their rent and bills you would not get away with half the things you do. Trust me if your nice to a bus driver he will be nice to you but sadly too many people think they have a right to be treated really nice but have the right to be nasty to the bus driver.

But one thing people forget and I never understand if your horrible to a driver the next time he sees you he has the right to drive past you who wants to talk to a abusive person in their work place.

So, we are put in an impossible place. I find children are better behaved than adults and that's saying something. Many of us bus drivers hate the job because how we are treated and quit the job for many reasons. Buse companies are struggling to recruit people the bus industry is on its knees. With HGV wages going up many bus drivers have had enough of this crap we have to deal with and are leaving. The service is getting worse and worse. buses are missing people are being begged by supervisors to do over time. But who wants to do over time if all you get is grief from angry passengers. it's not my fault your last few buses never run. or due to bad weather the bus will not go near you. Sometimes it's too dangerous for drivers to drive up icy roads but passengers don't care about our safety.

So here is just an idea of what we go through and this is why drivers are leaving the industry as soon as they find a better job.
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
A friend of mine got a job as a bus driver for a short while after university. He said it was the most stressful job he had ever done (he was a mature student so had plenty of work experience).
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Wow you’ve really thought about this.
I only clicked on the thread to defend bus drivers btw
Nish2257
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
He/she wrote too much. CBA to read that
Cote1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I skimmed it and got the gist...
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Bus drivers for the most part are absolutely great.
Its a thankless job and people forget that without drivers there would have been nobody to drive lauded keyworkers around in the first place.
Someone I know from uni is involved in transport management and he was posting a lot of posts about bus drivers who had died after being exposed to covid from the public.
I get the bus every day and the general public irritate me in that short time frame. It's no wonder they can be a little cranky when they have to deal with it all day and also be expected to police covid rules.
bilbo11x
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I get the bus and I always thank the driver after I get off and most of the time the bus driver may say thank you back if not oh well he/ she got me where I wanted to be
SupposedlyIronic
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm not reading all of that but I don't know where you live. Bus drivers are generally pretty friendly, maybe 8 times out of 10.
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
(Original post by Cote1)
A friend of mine got a job as a bus driver for a short while after university. He said it was the most stressful job he had ever done (he was a mature student so had plenty of work experience).
your friend is typical of the new drivers. When they find out what it is like the average time they stay is 4 to 6 weeks. The only reason people stay is because they have to repay their training fee. After 2 years they get this money back. After that period many leave. When I talk to new drivers they think I am joking about how bad it can be. But normally after 4 weeks they come back to me and say every thing you said was correct. The best advise I can give to any one doing this is dont find a better job. did you know staff turner over is around 66% to 80 depending on where the depot is.
Last edited by ziggy_ziggy; 3 months ago
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
if so thank you we need more people to stick up for bus drivers because the bus companys will not. I just wish more people would help the bus driver when trouble starts not just sit their and think its got nothing to do with me. remember if people think that if the driver decides to leave the bus and go home. Who is going to drive the bus.
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Its a thankless job and people forget that without drivers there would have been nobody to drive lauded keyworkers around in the first place.
Someone I know from uni is involved in transport management and he was posting a lot of posts about bus drivers who had died after being exposed to covid from the public.
I get the bus every day and the general public irritate me in that short time frame. It's no wonder they can be a little cranky when they have to deal with it all day and also be expected to police covid rules.
talking of covid rules this really has been making me go mad recently. I have been telling people to wear face masks all day and it is doing my head in. People are so stupid its the law. The bus drivers tell people to wear face masks we have been asked to police it but the bus company says you can not enforce them to wear masks. So people get mad and refuse to put masks on. Or say can you wait while I get one. I even had a guy shout at me saying where's your mask despite I have plastic coving my cab. I where glasses so can not where a mask any way. Unless my passengers be happy I crash the bus. I have not seen any police get on buses either for the 2 years this has been going on. Even one cop would be some thing. Managment dont want us to challenge passengers either. But I have passengers come up to me and say why is he not wearing a mask and demand I make him put a mask on we can not win. Why ask me to ask them why dont they talk to the passenger but that would take some balls.
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
(Original post by SupposedlyIronic)
I'm not reading all of that but I don't know where you live. Bus drivers are generally pretty friendly, maybe 8 times out of 10.
if you did read it perhaps you might be more understanding why the job is not easy. Perhaps you might be more willing to help the driver with a abusive passenger but then again that would take balls.
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
(Original post by bilbo11x)
I get the bus and I always thank the driver after I get off and most of the time the bus driver may say thank you back if not oh well he/ she got me where I wanted to be
thank you for that it is appreciated by all drivers. I will go the extra mile for a nice person. But if your rude I will remember you. as my mum always says manors cost nothing. You would be surprised how many times I have to shout at passengers to let people off first before barging their way on.
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
sadly the bus companys acted to slowly to protect their drivers and did not cover up the holes in the plastic in the cabs until the press reported drivers had died.
ziggy_ziggy
Rep:
people can be so rude. I am sorry if some drivers seem rude but get hit enough times and you soon loose your humanity.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ziggy_ziggy)
talking of covid rules this really has been making me go mad recently. I have been telling people to wear face masks all day and it is doing my head in. People are so stupid its the law. The bus drivers tell people to wear face masks we have been asked to police it but the bus company says you can not enforce them to wear masks. So people get mad and refuse to put masks on. Or say can you wait while I get one. I even had a guy shout at me saying where's your mask despite I have plastic coving my cab. I where glasses so can not where a mask any way. Unless my passengers be happy I crash the bus. I have not seen any police get on buses either for the 2 years this has been going on. Even one cop would be some thing. Managment dont want us to challenge passengers either. But I have passengers come up to me and say why is he not wearing a mask and demand I make him put a mask on we can not win. Why ask me to ask them why dont they talk to the passenger but that would take some balls.
I don't think you should challenge passengers if doing so means some will give you personal abuse. People turn a blind eye to things all the time. Like in schools it is supposedly the case that pupils are wearing masks but only about half are and I don't bother pointing it out. I don't even wear mine right half the time, just over my mouth not my nose. It's because I have the same problem with glasses steaming up.
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
At work I semi regularly I face verbal and physical abuse. I’ve been told that the nazis should have got me, I’ve also been punched multiple times in a shift.
I am never grumpy or ill tempered, in fact if I where, I’d probably be sacked.
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
At work I semi regularly I face verbal and physical abuse. I’ve been told that the nazis should have got me, I’ve also been punched multiple times in a shift.
Omg what sort of place do you work in? (if you don't mind sharing)

That is so unacceptable
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
I'd have guessed you were a bouncer if not for the last sentence

But yeah, every bus driver I've met has been incredibly kind (I'm 14, look like a student and didn't have a bus pass...) in letting me pay 80p instead of the £2.10 I would've had to pay as if I was an adult! Only two out of an uncountable amount of bus drivers have been a bit rude in their service, but I didn't realise other people hated them so much
username5839543
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Omg what sort of place do you work in? (if you don't mind sharing)

That is so unacceptable
I am a support worker. As I am on the bank, I am called in when there is a change in routine, so I am more likely to ‘get it’ than my colleagues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.66%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.91%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.66%

Watched Threads