Getting glute muscle gains

Watch this thread
erollafson1140
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I have recently joined the gym in the hope that I can increase my muscle mass, specifically targeting legs, glutes and abs. I am a slim female and don't do cardio as I don't want to reduce my weight.

I have heard from people that to build muscle mass, specifically in the glutes, you have to do lots of weights to get large gains, and that doing non-weighted floor exercises like donkey kicks and fire hydrants will not gain any muscle mass (it will only tone the muscles). This is confusing for me as I feel that doing weighted exercises like weighted squats targets primarily my quads and misses my glutes, whereas floors activities target my glutes much more effectively and they hurt much more to do. I struggle to understand how weights can be more effective at building glute muscle if it hurts more to do un-weighted floor exercises?

Could someone possibly explain the most effective way for a female to get large muscle gains?
BW15
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by erollafson1140)
So I have recently joined the gym in the hope that I can increase my muscle mass, specifically targeting legs, glutes and abs. I am a slim female and don't do cardio as I don't want to reduce my weight.

I have heard from people that to build muscle mass, specifically in the glutes, you have to do lots of weights to get large gains, and that doing non-weighted floor exercises like donkey kicks and fire hydrants will not gain any muscle mass (it will only tone the muscles). This is confusing for me as I feel that doing weighted exercises like weighted squats targets primarily my quads and misses my glutes, whereas floors activities target my glutes much more effectively and they hurt much more to do. I struggle to understand how weights can be more effective at building glute muscle if it hurts more to do un-weighted floor exercises?

Could someone possibly explain the most effective way for a female to get large muscle gains?
bit of a gym novice here BUT I am an anatomist (lols) with a bodybuilder for a friend so I'll do my best!

Basically, any kind of muscle gain comes from a progressive overloading of the muscle (lifting the weight produces microtears in the muscle, and growth occurs overtime as a result of repeated microtearing and healing) and to do this, you do kinda need to be increasing the pressure you put on the muscle during your workouts. The same will apply to building gluteal muscle mass, the unweighted floor exercises might produce a little bit of growth but for proper gainz you'll need to find weighted workouts that you like. The issue you're having with your squats might be due to the way you're positioned, you might find it helpful to watch some youtube tutorials (what i did haha) or ask a friend/personal trainer to check out what you're doing.

There's also tonnes of different exercises you can do with weights that target your butt, so if squats aren't quite your thing then you could try shopping around till you find something you like! Bulgarian split squats and hip thrusts are my go-tos, they make me want to cry but you can really feel them!

Also, it's a myth that muscle soreness = muscle growth (according to fitness tik tok anyways), so it may not be indicative of what your muscles are doing if you're not sore the next day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.1%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.95%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.62%

Watched Threads