The Student Room Group

i can’t stop binge eating

binge eating has become a horrible habit of mine. everytime i binge i feel so disgusting and uncomfortably full but it doesn’t seem to stop me from doing it again. i haven’t been diagnosed with a binge eating disorder and i don’t want to self-diagnose but i am showing very clear signs of one for example, i eat alot of food in one go even if i’m not hungry, i hide extra snacks until i can eat them alone, i’m always thinking about what my next meal will be and so many more signs. i’m a healthy weight but i’m worried i will gain weight if i don’t stop this habit asap.

seeking therapy would be my last resort as ive kept this habit hidden because i feel so so ashamed about it. i’ve seen people say to distract yourself and general tips like that but none of it seems to work.

any advice would be useful please, i’m so tired of this happening daily now :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
binge eating has become a horrible habit of mine. everytime i binge i feel so disgusting and uncomfortably full but it doesn’t seem to stop me from doing it again. i haven’t been diagnosed with a binge eating disorder and i don’t want to self-diagnose but i am showing very clear signs of one for example, i eat alot of food in one go even if i’m not hungry, i hide extra snacks until i can eat them alone, i’m always thinking about what my next meal will be and so many more signs. i’m a healthy weight but i’m worried i will gain weight if i don’t stop this habit asap.

seeking therapy would be my last resort as ive kept this habit hidden because i feel so so ashamed about it. i’ve seen people say to distract yourself and general tips like that but none of it seems to work.

any advice would be useful please, i’m so tired of this happening daily now :frown:

Have you seen your GP? That should be your first resort. Even a telephone consultation.
They'd be able to provide really great advice.
No need to be ashamed, you're very strong.

Hey! Lets see if we can assist you!

Firstly eating like you are could be a byproduct for something in your life that is causing you underlying stress. Is your relationship with your family, friends, partner ok? Secondly are you struggling with studies or money or generally depressed. If so then treating the source of this issue will resolve the bingeing.

Personally i find that binge eating is when have too much time on hands and nothing to do so highly suggest meeting friends, go for a walk, take up a new hobby.

Finally if nothing else works get back to nature as you will be surprised how a good trek through the countryside can work wonders for your health.

Take a pack lunch and you will then know exactly how much food you have and you can enjoy it as a picnic with someone.

Then walk back to burn the calories off.

If all else fails then consult the NHS services as there are some excellent therapists who understand this issue.
I'm sorry you are going through this - it sounds very distressing for you and it must be really hard to be going through this on your own and trying to hide things from people.

I know you are not keen to seek therapy but I would really encourage you to consider this as things may continue to get worse and it will be even harder to get help in that case. If you are really not keen for that, you could have a look at the BEAT website, which has a lot of information and resources including forums and chats for people suffering from EDs. You could also have a look at this self-help guide which can help you work through things on your own (there are also some links to other resources at the bottom - if you find CBT type self-help stuff useful, there is a link to an excellent self-help program on an Australian website there).
Reply 4
Original post by Heehaw888
Hey! Lets see if we can assist you!

Firstly eating like you are could be a byproduct for something in your life that is causing you underlying stress. Is your relationship with your family, friends, partner ok? Secondly are you struggling with studies or money or generally depressed. If so then treating the source of this issue will resolve the bingeing.

Personally i find that binge eating is when have too much time on hands and nothing to do so highly suggest meeting friends, go for a walk, take up a new hobby.

Finally if nothing else works get back to nature as you will be surprised how a good trek through the countryside can work wonders for your health.

Take a pack lunch and you will then know exactly how much food you have and you can enjoy it as a picnic with someone.

Then walk back to burn the calories off.

If all else fails then consult the NHS services as there are some excellent therapists who understand this issue.

hey, i would say i am quite stressed and i do think that is one factor causing these eating habits. i’m in my final year of school with exam season soon. even if i keep busy with studying, my mind seems to drift off and i start thinking about food/snacking.

i am also quite stressed with family related issues at home, my sister has a restricting ED which she has been diagnosed with for a few months. this is one reason why i’m not willing to talk openly about my eating habits with my family, they will assume i’m saying it to draw the attention to myself and i’m being dramatic.

i know it’s difficult but i want advice to be able to deal with this myself :frown:
Reply 5
[QUOTE="Anonymous;96541594"]hey, i would say i am quite stressed and i do think that is one factor causing these eating habits. i’m in my final year of school with exam season soon. even if i keep busy with studying, my mind seems to drift off and i start thinking about food/snacking.

i am also quite stressed with family related issues at home, my sister has a restricting ED which she has been diagnosed with for a few months. this is one reason why i’m not willing to talk openly about my eating habits with my family, they will assume i’m saying it to draw the attention to myself and i’m being dramatic.

i know it’s difficult but i want advice to be able to deal with this myself. i told a friend about these habits and the only responses i got were “same” or “it’s fine because u don’t look like ur gaining weight” so now i just stop myself telling anyone :frown: [/QUOTE
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
I'm sorry you are going through this - it sounds very distressing for you and it must be really hard to be going through this on your own and trying to hide things from people.

I know you are not keen to seek therapy but I would really encourage you to consider this as things may continue to get worse and it will be even harder to get help in that case. If you are really not keen for that, you could have a look at the BEAT website, which has a lot of information and resources including forums and chats for people suffering from EDs. You could also have a look at this self-help guide which can help you work through things on your own (there are also some links to other resources at the bottom - if you find CBT type self-help stuff useful, there is a link to an excellent self-help program on an Australian website there).

thank you, i’ll have a look at those !
Reply 7
Original post by KA_P
Have you seen your GP? That should be your first resort. Even a telephone consultation.
They'd be able to provide really great advice.
No need to be ashamed, you're very strong.

no i haven’t seen my GP, i’ve just been trying to cope with it myself. if i tell my GP they will most likely end up mentioning it to my parents and i’m not keen on the thought of. my sister is currently suffering with a restricting ED and my family will think i’m trying to shift the attention to myself or i’m being dramatic. i also don’t want to add more stress for them :frown:
no i haven’t seen my GP, i’ve just been trying to cope with it myself. if i tell my GP they will most likely end up mentioning it to my parents and i’m not keen on the thought of. my sister is currently suffering with a restricting ED and my family will think i’m trying to shift the attention to myself or i’m being dramatic. i also don’t want to add more stress for them :frown:

Your GP has a duty of confidentiality. Tell them that you're worried about them telling your parents. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

You're not being dramatic. You're already so brave and strong. Seeing your GP doesn't mean that you aren't handling it by yourself, but they'll be able to point you in the right direction and offer you further information.

Isn't it better to get some professional advice about what's going on? This is not attention seeking, you're trying to look after yourself. Won't they be more stressed when they find out that you've been handling all of this by yourself?

At the end of the day, it's your choice. We really can't do anything more other than advice you to see your GP and help you try and tackle how to relieve your stress.

I wish you the best of luck, we're cheering you on!
Reply 9
Original post by KA_P
Your GP has a duty of confidentiality. Tell them that you're worried about them telling your parents. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

You're not being dramatic. You're already so brave and strong. Seeing your GP doesn't mean that you aren't handling it by yourself, but they'll be able to point you in the right direction and offer you further information.

Isn't it better to get some professional advice about what's going on? This is not attention seeking, you're trying to look after yourself. Won't they be more stressed when they find out that you've been handling all of this by yourself?

At the end of the day, it's your choice. We really can't do anything more other than advice you to see your GP and help you try and tackle how to relieve your stress.

I wish you the best of luck, we're cheering you on!

i’m 17, turning 18 next month. yeah i guess i could make my GP aware that i don’t want them to tell my parents, getting professional help would of course seem the most reasonable answer.
thank you so much for the kind words. it really means alot as when i told a friend of mine about these habits, she just replied with “omg same” or “you still look skinny though” which is just super triggering!
i’m 17, turning 18 next month. yeah i guess i could make my GP aware that i don’t want them to tell my parents, getting professional help would of course seem the most reasonable answer.
thank you so much for the kind words. it really means alot as when i told a friend of mine about these habits, she just replied with “omg same” or “you still look skinny though” which is just super triggering!

I would love to hear any updates :h:
We're here for you

That's not really the most helpful response, but you could argue she might not have known any better?

I'm happy to help 🤗

Quick Reply

Latest