The Student Room Group

What is your favourite revision method?

Poll

What is your favourite revision method?

With exam season approaching, revision is on all of our minds. We'd love to hear about your favourite method and why it works well for you.

Everybody learns in different ways and different subjects require different techniques to learn. In general though, we all have our most effective revision methods.

Are you a note taker? Do you love a past paper? Maybe you're an app user...

We'd love to find out which revision method you find most effective and why.
active recall is scientifically proven to be one of the best revision techniques, and is when you force the information out of your brain to strengthen the neurological pathways, which is beneficial when you sit your exam and need to recall information

some methods of active recall:
- blurting (where you write down all the info on a piece of paper and then go over what you missed)
- spaced repetition (learning the same topic over and over, lengthening the period of time gradually, like learn the topic on the 1st, 2nd, 6th, 12th, 25th... so your brain gets stronger if that makes sense)
- look cover write check
- past papers/ exam questions (one of my personal favourites and one of the most efficient but don't forget to look at the markscheme afterwards as that is key to knowing how to structure long exam questions)
- looking back on and testing yourself from flashcards
lol
when I revised, I would make a mindmap of short, only vital information and put that onto flashcards. Worked a treat, unfortunately I only realised this in year 13 when covid stole it's chance to prove it's efficacy :redface:
if anyone who does Psychology/Sociology/Religious Studies A Levels PLEASE TELL ME GOOD REVISION METHODS esp for memorisation
(edited 2 years ago)
Flashcards + active recall I found the most useful. I like making mind maps but once they're made I don't really tend to look at them :redface:
I love to write down EVERYTHING. Might not be the best for me as I need to read over it again and again to get it stuck in my head, and writing everything down can be a lot to read over, so I might do more flash cards and things like that when I get into uni, but writing everything is very engaging for me, and I like to reword stuff in my own way, and illustrate things to make it clearer to me. When I’m in education, you better believe I have so many notebooks because I like to have every subject separate too. It just helps me get things clearer in my head, and easier to look back on.
Original post by spicycat
if anyone who does Psychology/Sociology/Religious Studies A Levels PLEASE TELL ME GOOD REVISION METHODS esp for memorisation

I just responded to this thread, but I’ll tell you my favourite thing to do is to illustrate things to make it clearer to me. Flash cards and writing it out over and over again helps me too.
Everyone is different though, there are online quizzes that help you to understand what kind of learning style works for you, and you might want to incorporate this into your revision
Here’s a link to the first one I found on google, however you might want to find another if you want
http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml
Original post by Mythical Pingu
With exam season approaching, revision is on all of our minds. We'd love to hear about your favourite method and why it works well for you.

Everybody learns in different ways and different subjects require different techniques to learn. In general though, we all have our most effective revision methods.

Are you a note taker? Do you love a past paper? Maybe you're an app user...

We'd love to find out which revision method you find most effective and why.

Its a stupid method, but literally all i do is read my notes over and over and over again, trying to get them to stick in my mind. I guess it works for me because i have a relatively decent memory and i acknowledge that it isnt the most ideal, but yh :smile:
Original post by Phases_of_life
Its a stupid method, but literally all i do is read my notes over and over and over again, trying to get them to stick in my mind. I guess it works for me because i have a relatively decent memory and i acknowledge that it isnt the most ideal, but yh :smile:

Nothing wrong with that! Everyone has their own style and if it works, it works :smile:
Hey I have SEN so I been looking at revision tips for students w SEND mainly learning difficulties for y10 mocks I used flashcards I don’t think they helped going to year 11 September, I have been doing revision From app called : SnapRevise sciences so far biology topics
Hi, I'm a 5th year medical student and bioengineering PhD student and I've been studying for over 20+ years now. The best way to revise and study is by using active recall methods such as flashcards, practice questions, past paper questions and quizzing your friends. It's also important to take regular breaks to improve productivity (you'll procrastinate less) and to improve your grades. Check out the pomodoro technique!

Send me a message or dm me on instagram @studymed_eda if you have any questions. I also have more study tips and advice on my studygram on instagram.
I find the most useful revision method is blurting! We have a guide on it here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/exams-and-revision/best-ways-to-revise/the-blurting-method

Abbie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest