The Student Room Group

Do First year grades matter?

I am doing my first year uni exams at the moment and I’ve found them more difficult than expected. I need 40% to pass the year and it doesn’t go towards my final grade, however will my first year grade be taken into consideration for anything else?
In terms of having to pass it, of course it matters. You can't move on to second year if you failed first year.

Apart from that, your pass grade doesn't usually count towards any part of your degree. But you should still do well in it in case your uni ever needs it as something extra to fall back on for any reason, for final degree grade calculations.
I believe this varies by university (and possibly by course). My first year didn't contribute towards my final grade, but I know for some of my friends first year counted for around 10%. It's worth emailing a university lecturer in a more senior position to check this.
Original post by issawrap
In terms of having to pass it, of course it matters. You can't move on to second year if you failed first year.

Apart from that, your pass grade doesn't usually count towards any part of your degree. But you should still do well in it in case your uni ever needs it as something extra to fall back on for any reason, for final degree grade calculations.

It also factors into how staff (who have access to your detailed transcript) will think about your capabilities and work ethic, e.g. when writing references, considering bids for summer project work etc.
Reply 4

Is final year predictions based on second year or a mix of first and second year?
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Wednesday
It also factors into how staff (who have access to your detailed transcript) will think about your capabilities and work ethic, e.g. when writing references, considering bids for summer project work etc.

This is my concern about not doing as well as I would hope for during first year, I’m concerned about how hard it will be for me to get references for work experience etc
Original post by Anonymous
Is final year predictions based on second year or a mix of first and second year?

Final year grade won't be a prediction; it'll just be your overall grade. Which will be based on second year and third year, but mostly third year.
Reply 7
Final year grade won't be a prediction; it'll just be your overall grade. Which will be based on second year and third year, but mostly third year.

I meant prediction as for when I apply for things before graduating, that is my concern
Original post by Anonymous
I am doing my first year uni exams at the moment and I’ve found them more difficult than expected. I need 40% to pass the year and it doesn’t go towards my final grade, however will my first year grade be taken into consideration for anything else?

Depends on the uni and course.
For example, I am a first year student at loughborough uni studying computer science and for me first year does not count and therefore does not contribute towards my final degree result whereas I believe on the same course at warwick, first year does contribute towards the final degree result
If you apply for jobs they may ask for your results so far or your transcript. Having a load of 40% on there won’t look good.
If you're applying to a placement, you will usually do this before you get the results for Semester 1 exams, therefore if in the application it asks for a prediction of 2:1 which is somewhat common, you will probably have to consider your results from Part A (Year 1). I am not sure whether this also means you need to achieve this in 2nd year too, or how they confirm this prediction with the University. I am aware of people who have been given offers for placements before getting their 2nd year results so it may well depend on the provider.

So it is probably best to be on the safe side and try to achieve a 2:1 for 1st year. If you're on the BSc CS course there are a lot of demanding modules in the 1st semester that is not reflected to the same extent in the 2nd so don't be disheartened and work towards an average of 60% or above.
Hi, it is also important to try hard for exams simply for the reason of actually learning the material. Year 1 is really about gaining knowledge and second and third year is about applying this knowledge, in terms of essays turning from descriptive to being about analysis and critical evaluation, and if you go on placements etc the knowledge you have learnt in your first year will serve you well. The reason grades don't count in your 1st year is to allow you to absorb the knowledge without the worry of failing, so that you can take the proper time to learn it. As long as you are putting in the effort to revise and are retaining some of the information then you will be in a good place to go into second year. Some exams are harder than others and you don't always get the mark you thought you would have, but that's okay. It then gives you the opportunity to see where you can improve.

Often second year counts as 25% of your final grade and third year counts as 75% of your final grade. Doing well in first year will help you do better in second year, which is the hardest academic leap, more so than even second to third year. Unlike at school, at university you don't get predications, and first year does not factor into this at all. I have never been asked for my university transcript from an employer, they will just look at your final grade. If you come out with a 2:2 or higher then you will be in good standing for getting a job.

In terms of them writing you a reference, they will also write about things other than just the marks you receive on exams and assignments, for example, if you use their feedback to improve, they will write about your character (it's usually your personal tutor or course lead who would write a reference so over three years they should know you quite well) and if you are a course or department rep they can write about that. I wouldn't worry so much, as long as you try to the best of your ability, as people will see your effort and recognise you for it.

- Rosie
Reply 12
At my institution and for the students under my purview, it dictates which modules they can and cannot do in the subsequent years. This in addition to the points raised above.
Also to note that your transcript may be requested in support of any postgrad applications. It may not be a deal breaker if your classification meets the requirements, but could raise some concerns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending