hetMakadia
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am currently studying AH Maths in s5 and planning on taking AH Physics in s6. Would it be beneficial to take AH Mechanics as well in s6 as I will have already covered all the Maths content?
bxcs
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hetMakadia)
I am currently studying AH Maths in s5 and planning on taking AH Physics in s6. Would it be beneficial to take AH Mechanics as well in s6 as I will have already covered all the Maths content?
Are you doing AH now? Or doing H now?

You don't /have/ to do pure for mechanics, however, out of the 5 people in my class, the four who do pure maths are finding those sections a lot easier than the person who doesn't do pure maths as we have more experience with the questions (and in turn don't have to revise those sections separately).

I will warn you, mechanics is a tricky subject. I'm the only person passing the exams with As (the second-highest mark was 53%) in my class and the other pure maths people are A students in that class. You definitely have to put the time to get used to the questions!
hetMakadia
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by bxcs)
Are you doing AH now? Or doing H now?

You don't /have/ to do pure for mechanics, however, out of the 5 people in my class, the four who do pure maths are finding those sections a lot easier than the person who doesn't do pure maths as we have more experience with the questions (and in turn don't have to revise those sections separately).

I will warn you, mechanics is a tricky subject. I'm the only person passing the exams with As (the second-highest mark was 53%) in my class and the other pure maths people are A students in that class. You definitely have to put the time to get used to the questions!
Hi,
I'm doing AH right now(s5). Mechanics seems very interesting because I would like to apply to study a mechanics related course at uni which should use similar concepts. I'm taking 3 AHs in s6 to give a total of 4 AHs which should hopefully give me an advantage for applying to Oxbridge. Since I would of already completed AH maths and would be studying AH physics, I thought the course would teach a lot of content that I would have already covered.
IbeIC123
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I did AH mechanics last year it was a really beneficial course imo. Since you’ve covered AH maths that’s at least like a quarter of AH mech then covered so the step up shouldn’t be that large.
bxcs
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi,
I'm doing AH right now(s5). Mechanics seems very interesting because I would like to apply to study a mechanics related course at uni which should use similar concepts. I'm taking 3 AHs in s6 to give a total of 4 AHs which should hopefully give me an advantage for applying to Oxbridge. Since I would of already completed AH maths and would be studying AH physics, I thought the course would teach a lot of content that I would have already covered.
Oh nice, doing an AH in S5 isn't allowed at my school/local authority. You have to be pretty impressive to do it early. Mechanics is definitely a fun course, and I really encourage you to do it!
I will say, whilst it might help to do 4, my friend and I who both did 4 AH got rejected from Cambridge (at least the first time around for them, they got in after a gap year), so don't think it /greatly/ improves your chances if you're going for S6 UCAS period. I wish you luck tho, it would be really nice for more scots down there.
Pure is 1/3 of the course and 1/3 of the marks on the exam, so if you already have pure in the bag you should be good for that part of mechanics.
hetMakadia
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by bxcs)
Oh nice, doing an AH in S5 isn't allowed at my school/local authority. You have to be pretty impressive to do it early. Mechanics is definitely a fun course, and I really encourage you to do it!
I will say, whilst it might help to do 4, my friend and I who both did 4 AH got rejected from Cambridge (at least the first time around for them, they got in after a gap year), so don't think it /greatly/ improves your chances if you're going for S6 UCAS period. I wish you luck tho, it would be really nice for more scots down there.
Pure is 1/3 of the course and 1/3 of the marks on the exam, so if you already have pure in the bag you should be good for that part of mechanics.
Thanks for the clarification.
For my curiosity what course did you apply to Cambridge for?
Realistically, would Cambridge admission tutors see a candidate completing AH maths in s5 as an advantage to their application? And if the entry requirements were 3 AH, would they still accept 1AH in s5 and 2 in s6 because some unis want all AH sat in the same year?
bxcs
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for the clarification.
For my curiosity what course did you apply to Cambridge for?
Realistically, would Cambridge admission tutors see a candidate completing AH maths in s5 as an advantage to their application? And if the entry requirements were 3 AH, would they still accept 1AH in s5 and 2 in s6 because some unis want all AH sat in the same year?
I don't think it changes whether you did it in S5 or S6, however, doing it in S5 will help with any entrance exams as you will be more familiar with harder maths. So whilst it may not be directly beneficial it can still help.

I applied for NatSci Physical.
IbeIC123
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi,
I also got in to Cambridge so if you need any advice then ask away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.03%
It went fairly well (239)
47.51%
It didn't go too well (75)
14.91%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed