will this be enough to get into a Russel group uni?

Watch this thread
kylelark01
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i started 6th form in a business entrepreneur start up course, which is only a level 3 business betec, i managed to do that and achieve a DDD in that which is like 144 ucas points. i decided after 1.3 years of that i had not learnt enough for uni so i stayed on another year and took up some a levels.

LIBF level 3 diploma in finance predicted A/A*
AQA A level business predicted C
OCR A level computer science predicted C/B
EPQ predicted A*

keep in mind im tryna do computer science in only one year

im trying to do cyber security in warwrick, greenwich, leeds or UCL , even if i get all A*s i still will not have 3 actual A level results for the entry requirements.

in total i should have around 300 ucas points at the end but russel groups dont accept them
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Your unusual route post-16 means its best to write to individual unis and seek guidance. Computing is a very competitive course so it looks tough for you.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
*Russell
kylelark01
Rep:
(Original post by mike23mike)
Your unusual route post-16 means its best to write to individual unis and seek guidance. Computing is a very competitive course so it looks tough for you.
at least im trying mate

what do you mean by massaging every uni, what department of the unis should i contact?
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kylelark01)
at least im trying mate

what do you mean by massaging every uni, what department of the unis should i contact?
Best to mail the computing dept of the unis you are interested in. They may then forward to the recruitment team who will reply.
janijay
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Google each course you want to apply to. Click on 'Entry Requirements' this usually shows A Level grades required but also can state alternative qualifications accepted. If it doesn't, find the universities admissions email and email them asking if they accept alternative qualifications. Most universities do accept BTECs and Level 3 courses as alternatives to A Levels.

Greenwhich isn't a Russell Group uni but I had a look at their Cyber Security BSc course for you.
You will need 112 UCAS Points which can come from either A Levels or BTEC courses.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 00.47.04.png
Views: 117
Size:  177.6 KB
kylelark01
Rep:
(Original post by janijay)
Google each course you want to apply to. Click on 'Entry Requirements' this usually shows A Level grades required but also can state alternative qualifications accepted. If it doesn't, find the universities admissions email and email them asking if they accept alternative qualifications. Most universities do accept BTECs and Level 3 courses as alternatives to A Levels.

Greenwhich isn't a Russell Group uni but I had a look at their Cyber Security BSc course for you.
You will need 112 UCAS Points which can come from either A Levels or BTEC courses.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 00.47.04.png
Views: 117
Size:  177.6 KB
thank you, i have done my research greenwich is one off my safe options, the ones i also listed stated they want XXX in grades regardless of what they are i will only have two not three, i need a grade for just trying to find a uni to go to god i have put in so much work
elebexm
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Most universities these days should accept btecs. My advice would be to email the admissions departments of the universities and see what they think.

The fact you got DDD in a btec should count for something big. I would emphasise that when applying (in the email / personal statement), but also make sure to emphasise the computer science A Level, because the btec being business might make some people wary.

I would definitely try and solidify that computer science to a B. Go through practice papers - physicsandmathstutor has questions on every single topic, exactly like you would get in the exam.

I will question why you didn't do A Level Maths, as universities are more likely to require it over A Level Computer Science. Don't weigh on it, it's done, but you might be slightly limited because of it. It might be worth looking into foundation years, just to see if the limitations are less strict.

I also applied for Cyber Security. For Warwick, as long as you get the grades to get in (which I think you would with the btec alone), they care more about you proving your interest. They ask for a supplementary personal statement (mentioned on the course page, don't worry about it until after you've applied) to test your interest for the course, and ultimately that's going to matter more than the grades you get.

I know this isn't what you asked, but if you really want to do Cyber Security, there are other options than Russel Group universities, and because it's more vocational than Computer Science those universities will probably have more experience running it.

Royal Holloway has been running an Information Security course for the longest of any university in the UK. It's part of Computer Science, and asks for AAB (though lowered by one grade for 2022 entry i.e. ABB or ABC).

University of the West of England has, in my opinion, an extremely good Cyber Security and Digital Forensics course. If I don't get an offer from Warwick, it's fairly likely that I'll end up there, because I was just that impressed by their department. Asks for BBC.

Hope that helps a little. Emphasise the personal statement, lean into how doing the btec helped you prepare for university study and how computer science gave you the foundation for understanding the course, and good luck!
kylelark01
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by elebexm)
Most universities these days should accept btecs. My advice would be to email the admissions departments of the universities and see what they think.

The fact you got DDD in a btec should count for something big. I would emphasise that when applying (in the email / personal statement), but also make sure to emphasise the computer science A Level, because the btec being business might make some people wary.

I would definitely try and solidify that computer science to a B. Go through practice papers - physicsandmathstutor has questions on every single topic, exactly like you would get in the exam.

I will question why you didn't do A Level Maths, as universities are more likely to require it over A Level Computer Science. Don't weigh on it, it's done, but you might be slightly limited because of it. It might be worth looking into foundation years, just to see if the limitations are less strict.

I also applied for Cyber Security. For Warwick, as long as you get the grades to get in (which I think you would with the btec alone), they care more about you proving your interest. They ask for a supplementary personal statement (mentioned on the course page, don't worry about it until after you've applied) to test your interest for the course, and ultimately that's going to matter more than the grades you get.

I know this isn't what you asked, but if you really want to do Cyber Security, there are other options than Russel Group universities, and because it's more vocational than Computer Science those universities will probably have more experience running it.

Royal Holloway has been running an Information Security course for the longest of any university in the UK. It's part of Computer Science, and asks for AAB (though lowered by one grade for 2022 entry i.e. ABB or ABC).

University of the West of England has, in my opinion, an extremely good Cyber Security and Digital Forensics course. If I don't get an offer from Warwick, it's fairly likely that I'll end up there, because I was just that impressed by their department. Asks for BBC.

Hope that helps a little. Emphasise the personal statement, lean into how doing the btec helped you prepare for university study and how computer science gave you the foundation for understanding the course, and good luck!
Thank you for this message, I ended up applying for:

1. Cyber Security (H651) - University of Warwick (W20)
2. Cyber Security & Digital Forensics (I2F3) - Leeds Beckett University (L27)
3.Cyber Security & Digital Forensics (G4N1) - Kingston University (K84)

4. Computer Science with Cyber Security (with a year in industry) (II11) - University of York (Y50)
5. Cyber Security and Digital Forensics (G4H4) - Bristol, University of the West of England (B80)

I want to get into Warwick as my first choice due to it being GCHQ certified, part of the Russel group, 8th best in England and 60th best in the world and seriously good night life and student satisfaction and industry placements at the end. I did originally apply for Greenwich but looking more into it it seems really bad so i changed it to west England partly due to your comment and my own research. I understand the maths aspect and it sucks but 2 years ago i seriously wanted to do business and go onto do business in uni and learn cyber security on the side

I realised half way through the course that this is **** and im smarter than this so i took up the A levels half way through year 13, then when it ended i stayed another year and took up CS and EPQ as i just started saying business in school isnt for me. i had to fight my school over the 8 month of lockdown to be allowed into computer science, but now im making progress just did my mocks. im pushing myself to do 2 topics a week from the ocr book in time for the 8 week until exam mark.

i think if i put in the work now it will pay off in the end. you gotto be hungry, good luck to you as well, what unis did you apply for?
elebexm
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

4. Computer Science with Cyber Security (with a year in industry) (II11) - University of York (Y50)
5. Cyber Security and Digital Forensics (G4H4) - Bristol, University of the West of England (B80)

I want to get into Warwick as my first choice due to it being GCHQ certified, part of the Russel group, 8th best in England and 60th best in the world and seriously good night life and student satisfaction and industry placements at the end. I did originally apply for Greenwich but looking more into it it seems really bad so i changed it to west England partly due to your comment and my own research. I understand the maths aspect and it sucks but 2 years ago i seriously wanted to do business and go onto do business in uni and learn cyber security on the side

I realised half way through the course that this is **** and im smarter than this so i took up the A levels half way through year 13, then when it ended i stayed another year and took up CS and EPQ as i just started saying business in school isnt for me. i had to fight my school over the 8 month of lockdown to be allowed into computer science, but now im making progress just did my mocks. im pushing myself to do 2 topics a week from the ocr book in time for the 8 week until exam mark.

i think if i put in the work now it will pay off in the end. you gotto be hungry, good luck to you as well, what unis did you apply for?
I'm glad to hear it! Those all seem like pretty good choices. I can't comment on Kingston, but Warwick is definitely everything you've said. If I can get in, it's definitely going to be my first choice. Very good vibes from the open day, and it seems like a very supportive environment if you have a passion for Cyber Security.

I've already mentioned that I was impressed by UWE. Similarly good vibes, the course leader seemed very confident in how he was running the course. Warwick doesn't offer a year in industry, and UWE does, but I've no idea if that should be a deal breaker or not. I asked at the open day, and they are planning on getting their NCSC certification by the end of the year - you have to have had a cohort go through the full degree before getting certified, but they've met all the requirements. Though I'd have a look at CYBOK, which is the standard that courses are held to before getting certified. The requirements have changed recently to be less strict (i.e. now allow Digital Forensics courses to be certified). It's also a very thorough detailing of the course content. I do not recommend you read it all.

I applied to York for Computer Science BSc, basically just because I don't want to commit to a MSc and it leaves my options open for a little longer. I applied to Royal Holloway for Computer Science (Information Security), though I don't know much about either of those universities or courses, because I haven't had a chance to go to their open days (due to the lack of them), and neither seem particularly mind-blowing. I'd like to actually do a Cyber Security degree, you know? Not just Computer Science for two years with a few optional modules near the end. For that matter - have a look at the York course content. First two years are entirely standardised, you only get the cyber security focus in the 3rd and 4th years.

My other choice was Oxford Brookes. Stupid choice, do not recommend. Not inherently awful, but really didn't like the campus (the computing and engineering area is on a completely different campus from everything else, and you have to take a bus just to get there). They handled the open day really poorly imo - they sent off all the applicants to do some basic taster activities for courses no-one was interested in, and only allowed the adults to ask questions while that was going on. Felt a bit ridiculous honestly. But I'd already sent my application off by then, and the 5th choice really doesn't matter, so whatever.

Went to the Leeds Beckett open day. Not bad. I got good vibes from the course leaders, had a really good chat with some of the department leaders. My Dad was more hesitant. Since the university is so focused on sports, he worried that it really wouldn't be a course with a lot of attention on it, and since it's low entry requirements, he thought people might slack off. He also got the impression that the course leaders weren't up to date with current Cyber Security issues since they'd been out of the industry for a while, but I don't know how much of that was an honest impression or his own biases affecting him. Didn't end up applying anyway.

Good luck with Computer Science! What are your plans for the NEA? Have you done it already? If you need it, I could give you a good starting template for the documentation that my school gave me, and tips for each section. My class finished ours about a month ago, though I am assuming that you're probably most of the way done by now, because it's that point in the year. I cannot advise practice papers enough for revision, and once you've gotten the understanding, break each section down into key points, because that's all they're going to ask about. You can know everything there is to know about a real-time operating system, but at the end of the day, the question they're going to ask you is the one that requires the first definition you wrote down and nothing else. Or comparisons. Or examples. Ugh.

Fingers crossed for Warwick! If we both get in, then I might even see you there!
kylelark01
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by elebexm)
I'm glad to hear it! Those all seem like pretty good choices. I can't comment on Kingston, but Warwick is definitely everything you've said. If I can get in, it's definitely going to be my first choice. Very good vibes from the open day, and it seems like a very supportive environment if you have a passion for Cyber Security.

I've already mentioned that I was impressed by UWE. Similarly good vibes, the course leader seemed very confident in how he was running the course. Warwick doesn't offer a year in industry, and UWE does, but I've no idea if that should be a deal breaker or not. I asked at the open day, and they are planning on getting their NCSC certification by the end of the year - you have to have had a cohort go through the full degree before getting certified, but they've met all the requirements. Though I'd have a look at CYBOK, which is the standard that courses are held to before getting certified. The requirements have changed recently to be less strict (i.e. now allow Digital Forensics courses to be certified). It's also a very thorough detailing of the course content. I do not recommend you read it all.

I applied to York for Computer Science BSc, basically just because I don't want to commit to a MSc and it leaves my options open for a little longer. I applied to Royal Holloway for Computer Science (Information Security), though I don't know much about either of those universities or courses, because I haven't had a chance to go to their open days (due to the lack of them), and neither seem particularly mind-blowing. I'd like to actually do a Cyber Security degree, you know? Not just Computer Science for two years with a few optional modules near the end. For that matter - have a look at the York course content. First two years are entirely standardised, you only get the cyber security focus in the 3rd and 4th years.

My other choice was Oxford Brookes. Stupid choice, do not recommend. Not inherently awful, but really didn't like the campus (the computing and engineering area is on a completely different campus from everything else, and you have to take a bus just to get there). They handled the open day really poorly imo - they sent off all the applicants to do some basic taster activities for courses no-one was interested in, and only allowed the adults to ask questions while that was going on. Felt a bit ridiculous honestly. But I'd already sent my application off by then, and the 5th choice really doesn't matter, so whatever.

Went to the Leeds Beckett open day. Not bad. I got good vibes from the course leaders, had a really good chat with some of the department leaders. My Dad was more hesitant. Since the university is so focused on sports, he worried that it really wouldn't be a course with a lot of attention on it, and since it's low entry requirements, he thought people might slack off. He also got the impression that the course leaders weren't up to date with current Cyber Security issues since they'd been out of the industry for a while, but I don't know how much of that was an honest impression or his own biases affecting him. Didn't end up applying anyway.

Good luck with Computer Science! What are your plans for the NEA? Have you done it already? If you need it, I could give you a good starting template for the documentation that my school gave me, and tips for each section. My class finished ours about a month ago, though I am assuming that you're probably most of the way done by now, because it's that point in the year. I cannot advise practice papers enough for revision, and once you've gotten the understanding, break each section down into key points, because that's all they're going to ask about. You can know everything there is to know about a real-time operating system, but at the end of the day, the question they're going to ask you is the one that requires the first definition you wrote down and nothing else. Or comparisons. Or examples. Ugh.

Fingers crossed for Warwick! If we both get in, then I might even see you there!
Apart from my options I did look at a bunch of other ones but mainly Southampton and Oxford Brookes. I went to City of London open day and it was horrid, terrible environment, concert jungle and just very dull and boring.

I didn't like the idea again like you of doing a degree purely in computer science and only having a few modules id enjoy in the 2nd and 3rd year, I know I want to do computer science or digital forensics. My goal is to learn all I can in uni to be able to go off into industry to develop modern knowledge then apply to GCHQ, some form of military cyber divisions or start my own cyber security related company.

I haven't been able to attend most of the open days due to covid but I did take the virtual tours and imo Warwick looks the best for cyber security out of all of them. imo the best in the UK

my original plan was to go into a apprenticeship degree with CyberFirst in UCL after 6thform, but I missed the deadline as its an entire year in advance, so in going to go to uni and apply for the second year, if I get in then ill move to London if not ill stay at the uni. Im trying to set myself up in a more sustainable environment incase the worst happens.

As you were saying, though, I completely agree with your statements on Leeds, it looks very good in entry requirements to course contents.

As in new to actual computer science work its been a lot, doing both years in one. It made good progress in class and on my own devoting most of my time to it, my project is an app made in android studio that will allow a user to take a photo off themselves every day and then compile them into a slideshow showing the growth. Like those 1 picture a day video that trended on youtube a while back.

Please send me the template that would seriously help me out, as with my course in sort of been left on my own for the project. Any tips or resources would help me in a serious way, happy to accept anything. Our deadline for the project is in march, so not got that long left. i should focus on it more in the next few months more than my EPQ, im doing it on OPSEC and digital forensics and have been predicted a A* so hopefully that is a something to look at inmy application. my email is: [email protected]

And you to my friend, work hard today so you can rest tomorrow. If I get into warrick i think ittle give me the boost i need to learn and get a foot in this industry.
Dylan8421
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

have you heard anything back yet from these unis?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (58)
42.03%
The paper was reasonable (61)
44.2%
Not feeling great about that exam... (11)
7.97%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
5.8%

Watched Threads