Cambridge applicant (interact if you're as nervous as I am)

Watch this thread
Phisha
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Guys, I am NERVOUS for the 25th. I'm officially on fight or flight mode. I am overwhelmed with stress, anxiety, and pressure - let me explain why. I am the only one in my college who has applied to Cambridge (or Oxbridge in general), and BOY am I feeling the pressure, I had to tell a couple of teachers obviously as they were helping me with my application, but now somehow the WHOLE college knows?!?!?!?!? I keep getting asked every week how its going and whether I've found out yet, and I'm just feeling such an immense amount of pressure and feel like no-one understands. I get that people are asking me in politeness and curiosity, but I can't help but think I'm letting all those people down if I get rejected on the 25th. I also haven't told my parents yet, that outcomes are getting emailed on the 25th, because I genuinely can't handle the disappointment on their faces if I tell them on the day that I didn't get in. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, and I know they love me regardless - after all, as everyone says, 'Cambridge is not be all or end all'. But it kind of is. I feel like I owe it to my parents to get in and be successful after all they've done for me because I know how hard they've worked to get me to where I am now. I have an obligation to at least do what they expect from me academically. I hate the anticipation of waiting for offers, and I keep overthinking how bad I did on that pre-interview admissions test. I'm SO STRESSED and I'm literally LOSING MY MIND. Can anyone relate??? Please say you do and spare me my mind, I just need someone to talk to
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
It's not the be all and end all.

Honestly, at least for some, it's pretty grim.
evakesiax
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Phisha)
Guys, I am NERVOUS for the 25th. I'm officially on fight or flight mode. I am overwhelmed with stress, anxiety, and pressure - let me explain why. I am the only one in my college who has applied to Cambridge (or Oxbridge in general), and BOY am I feeling the pressure, I had to tell a couple of teachers obviously as they were helping me with my application, but now somehow the WHOLE college knows?!?!?!?!? I keep getting asked every week how its going and whether I've found out yet, and I'm just feeling such an immense amount of pressure and feel like no-one understands. I get that people are asking me in politeness and curiosity, but I can't help but think I'm letting all those people down if I get rejected on the 25th. I also haven't told my parents yet, that outcomes are getting emailed on the 25th, because I genuinely can't handle the disappointment on their faces if I tell them on the day that I didn't get in. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, and I know they love me regardless - after all, as everyone says, 'Cambridge is not be all or end all'. But it kind of is. I feel like I owe it to my parents to get in and be successful after all they've done for me because I know how hard they've worked to get me to where I am now. I have an obligation to at least do what they expect from me academically. I hate the anticipation of waiting for offers, and I keep overthinking how bad I did on that pre-interview admissions test. I'm SO STRESSED and I'm literally LOSING MY MIND. Can anyone relate??? Please say you do and spare me my mind, I just need someone to talk to
Hey, I can definitely relate. I applied for MML and I'm the only one who applied there for that course so the entire language department in my school know because they helped but even teachers I don't know (because I moved to a different sixth form) know and it's like wow there's a lot riding on this. The way I see it is that no matter what the outcome, I'll be proud of myself because how many people can say that Cambridge interviewed them?! That means they recognise how incredible you are! I get the thing about your parents. I don't want to let them down either but no matter what I know they'll be happy with whatever uni I go to. It's something we've discussed together. Honestly, I hate how far back the Cambridge date is than Oxford. It used to be that they were a couple of days apart. Now, I did get a bit nervous when girls in my year who applied to Oxford got rejected even though they are incredibly smart, but I have to remind myself that it's a different uni. When the 25th does come round, I hope you remember that no matter what the outcome is you've done extremely well just to be opening that email because not many people can say they even made it to the interview stage. I hope it all goes well for you (and I'll probs come back to this thread just to check in on you x) Also, what course and college did you apply for?
parthenocarpy
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yea I'd assume everyone is getting pretty nervous about it now.
As a second time applicant myself, I'd say just be chill about it, try to relax. Cambridge isn't all that.
I only applied again cos I wanted the challenge, you should too. At some point the selection process becomes hard enough that there's room for error and the best don't get in. So either ways stay happy at either outcome. Best of luckk.
Phisha
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by evakesiax)
Hey, I can definitely relate. I applied for MML and I'm the only one who applied there for that course so the entire language department in my school know because they helped but even teachers I don't know (because I moved to a different sixth form) know and it's like wow there's a lot riding on this. The way I see it is that no matter what the outcome, I'll be proud of myself because how many people can say that Cambridge interviewed them?! That means they recognise how incredible you are! I get the thing about your parents. I don't want to let them down either but no matter what I know they'll be happy with whatever uni I go to. It's something we've discussed together. Honestly, I hate how far back the Cambridge date is than Oxford. It used to be that they were a couple of days apart. Now, I did get a bit nervous when girls in my year who applied to Oxford got rejected even though they are incredibly smart, but I have to remind myself that it's a different uni. When the 25th does come round, I hope you remember that no matter what the outcome is you've done extremely well just to be opening that email because not many people can say they even made it to the interview stage. I hope it all goes well for you (and I'll probs come back to this thread just to check in on you x) Also, what course and college did you apply for?
Morning! Thanks for replying
I’m so glad someone’s had a similar experience to me, it just sucks when you tell 2 teachers one minute and the next minute the whole college knows😩😩.
That’s true, thank you so much. I’m trying to keep a positive mindset atm and just chill out a bit tbf, so I’ve been distracting myself this past week and not thinking about it - it’s just caught up to me that’s it’s tomorrow!! Ahhhh!!!
Thank you so much for your kind words, I hope you have an amaze week! I applied for PBS at Selwyn college. What uni are you at currently? Did you get into cam for MML? X
Last edited by Phisha; 3 months ago
Phisha
Rep:
(Original post by parthenocarpy)
Yea I'd assume everyone is getting pretty nervous about it now.
As a second time applicant myself, I'd say just be chill about it, try to relax. Cambridge isn't all that.
I only applied again cos I wanted the challenge, you should too. At some point the selection process becomes hard enough that there's room for error and the best don't get in. So either ways stay happy at either outcome. Best of luckk.
Thank you so much, wishing you the best of luck too. 🤞🏼🤞🏼What course and college did you applied to?
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Morning! Thanks for replying
I’m so glad someone’s had a similar experience to me, it just sucks when you tell 2 teachers one minute and the next minute the whole college knows😩😩.
That’s true, thank you so much. I’m trying to keep a positive mindset atm and just chill out a bit tbf, so I’ve been distracting myself this past week and not thinking about it - it’s just caught up to me that’s it’s tomorrow!! Ahhhh!!!
Thank you so much for your kind words, I hope you have an amaze week! I applied for PBS at Selwyn college. What uni are you at currently? Did you get into cam for MML? X
Hi, i'm not in uni. I am in the same position as you waiting for tomorrow to see if I got in. I can't believe it's tomorrow. I hope everything goes well for you. All the best and I'll probs be back tomorrow x
Phisha
Rep:
Hi, i'm not in uni. I am in the same position as you waiting for tomorrow to see if I got in. I can't believe it's tomorrow. I hope everything goes well for you. All the best and I'll probs be back tomorrow x
Ohhh okay, wishing you the best of luck then!! Whatever happens you should be mega proud of yourself that you’ve got this far. Hope tomorrow goes well for you, update us on this thread if you want to!! What college did you apply to? X
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Ohhh okay, wishing you the best of luck then!! Whatever happens you should be mega proud of yourself that you’ve got this far. Hope tomorrow goes well for you, update us on this thread if you want to!! What college did you apply to? X
I applied to Jesus. Wbu?
Phisha
Rep:
I applied to Jesus. Wbu?
Selwyn. Hope all goes well for youx
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Selwyn. Hope all goes well for youx
Same for you! Speak tomorrow ? x
Phisha
Rep:
Same for you! Speak tomorrow ? x
Definitely! See you tomorrow x
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey- I got my letter back and I got rejected but to be honest, after processing it and feeling a bit down and disappointed, I'm okay now
Phisha
Rep:
Hey- I got my letter back and I got rejected but to be honest, after processing it and feeling a bit down and disappointed, I'm okay now
I got rejected too!! It sucks. Ugh. I feel like I’ve let everyone down. But I’m over it for now, it is what it is i suppose. Hope you’re okay!! X
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I got rejected too!! It sucks. Ugh. I feel like I’ve let everyone down. But I’m over it for now, it is what it is i suppose. Hope you’re okay!! X
I'm fine- I've processed it and I'm acc excited about my other unis because I got offers from all of them. At the end of the day, I hope you remember that this doesn't define you and that no-one can be let down by you not getting in because you made it so far. Hope you're okay too x
Phisha
Rep:
I'm fine- I've processed it and I'm acc excited about my other unis because I got offers from all of them. At the end of the day, I hope you remember that this doesn't define you and that no-one can be let down by you not getting in because you made it so far. Hope you're okay too x
Me too, I’m over it now, I think I just needed a good cry but I’ve come to terms with the rejection now. I’m still anticipating offers from 2 of my unis I’ve applied to so hopefully I get into them! You too girl, I’m glad to have met someone in the same boat. The competition is STIFF this year so you’ve got to keep that in mind, I looked on the Selwyn website and out of 19 applicants for my course, only 2 got offers. 2!!!! They’re stingy this year. If it makes you feel any better, none of the people I know got in either, and they’re very very clever (who are they actually accepting at this point??)
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Me too, I’m over it now, I think I just needed a good cry but I’ve come to terms with the rejection now. I’m still anticipating offers from 2 of my unis I’ve applied to so hopefully I get into them! You too girl, I’m glad to have met someone in the same boat. The competition is STIFF this year so you’ve got to keep that in mind, I looked on the Selwyn website and out of 19 applicants for my course, only 2 got offers. 2!!!! They’re stingy this year. If it makes you feel any better, none of the people I know got in either, and they’re very very clever (who are they actually accepting at this point??)
That's the exact same in my school- none of the clever people that applied got in. And I cannot believe Selwyn are only accepting 2 PEOPLE! That's a very limited class. What other unis are you waiting to here from and have applied to?
Phisha
Rep:
That's the exact same in my school- none of the clever people that applied got in. And I cannot believe Selwyn are only accepting 2 PEOPLE! That's a very limited class. What other unis are you waiting to here from and have applied to?
I’m waiting on durham and KCL atm!! Ive applied to liverpool and leeds too. Wbu??
evakesiax
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’m waiting on durham and KCL atm!! I’ve applied to liverpool and leeds too. Wbu??
I applied to Durham as well (I got the offer), I also applied to Warwick, Southampton and surrey
Phisha
Rep:
Very nice, wishing u the best of luck for ur other unis!! Durham and kings are taking forever to get back to me😩
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.03%
It went fairly well (239)
47.51%
It didn't go too well (75)
14.91%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.55%

Watched Threads