Is there much point in pursuing your passion if it doesn’t pay well?

Watch this thread
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I know someone very close to me who loves creative writing, but they are aware that it is far from the degree with the most financially rewarding career prospects.

They don’t want to go to university because they're not sure what else they’d be willing to devote their time to other than that in an academic setting. They’re far more interested in degree apprenticeships.

However, it got me thinking that many people just settle for what they’re quite skilled at but not necessarily passionate about. What’s the point in a passion if it doesn’t pay the bills, right?

I was speaking with them today, and I wish I knew what to say when it was apparent that they felt this way, because there are some other circumstances that are, in a sense, trying to back them into a corner to study at university.
Last edited by Tolgash; 3 months ago
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
yh
Joleee
Report 3 months ago
pursuing your passion in general is a luxury for most people, yes, cuz most people don't live off their parents and need to put food on the table and a roof over their head by any means necessary.

you can pursue your passion that doesn't pay well tho so long as you're working and getting paid while doing it. in the case of fiction and nonfiction writers the vastttt majority have a day job; like they don't just write books for a living but are teachers, journalists, office workers etc., cuz most of them aren't publishing bestsellers every few months. think what your friend is doing by pursuing a degree apprenticeship is incredibly smart and they can always still work on their writing on the side. it does take a certain type of person tho to really go after whatever they're passionate about if it's one of those jobs that few are successful at cuz it's a lot of dedicated hard work and there can be a lot of rejection and disappointment. it's not for everyone
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yes, often there is.
It depends on one's personal ambitions, finances, personality and standard of living expectations.
Plenty of jobs are purely undertaken for financial reasons and unrelated to degrees studied.
I enjoy adding to my collection of postgrad qualifications and also do a few short courses every year purely for fun.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
of course, weell depending what it is and what level..
in terms of degrees, definitely ass they rarely makje any difference between them anyway
in employment - leaving aside if there is a job opening for the field you have a passion in - its a QUESTION OF MONEY VS. INTEREST USUALLY i chose the former when i couldnt find any interesting roles :lol:
If i could redo some choices though id go with passion any day though/
asif007
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
All creative pursuits (whether they be acting, dancing, writing, art etc) are difficult industries to succeed in. Seasonal work, high competition, many many talented people and only a small minority getting enough work to be able to earn a full-time income from it after many years of effort. I agree with the above that you do need a day job with flexible hours in order to make ends meet while you're getting established in your creative field. But if you don't manage to earn a decent amount from your creative passion after many years of working on your craft, does it seem worth it to you to carry on doing it professionally? Most of my friends who are professional actors and dancers are actually not performing for most of the year and not earning anything from it, so some of them have scaled back their work to just doing it as a hobby. I have a friend who was an actress for many years but found it so tough to get work that she did a complete U-turn and is now studying to be a dentist. As you get older, money will become a bigger priority to you so if your passion doesn't earn you a comfortable income by the time you've been doing it for 10-12 years then IMO it's not worth trying to do it professionally. You have to limit your expectations in creative passions unless you are prepared to go through periods with no work or even living on the breadline until the next gig comes around. Most people I know aren't willing to do that, which is why they go for day jobs in unrelated industries. Lots of my friends have been working in retail and restaurants since way before there was a pandemic. There are so few people who manage to turn creative pursuits like writing into full-time jobs.
Emma:-)
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
I know someone very close to me who loves creative writing, but they are aware that it is far from the degree with the most financially rewarding career prospects.

They don’t want to go to university because they're not sure what else they’d be willing to devote their time to other than that in an academic setting. They’re far more interested in degree apprenticeships.

However, it got me thinking that many people just settle for what they’re quite skilled at but not necessarily passionate about. What’s the point in a passion if it doesn’t pay the bills, right?

I was speaking with them today, and I wish I knew what to say when it was apparent that they felt this way, because there are some other circumstances that are, in a sense, trying to back them into a corner to study at university.
Money is useful but money isnt everything.
As long as a job pays the bills and allows you to save some each month then thats all that matters. We dont need to be rich.
If someone can get a job in an area they are passionate about then yeah, id say go for it.
And to be honest, a degree apprenticeship is a better idea than a degree in my eyes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
18.88%
The paper was reasonable (106)
37.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (83)
29.02%
It was TERRIBLE (43)
15.03%

Watched Threads