The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE- “Rolling admission”

How does LSE call itself operating on a rolling basis? Rolling admission essentially means that if you apply early on, stronger odds of making the cut. But I see people who have applied for the same program as me but later than me, are getting offers while my application shows no update (no transcript drop).
If later applications are being viewed and sent offers before the first ones, what’s rolling about it?
Ridiculous and unfair in my honest opinion.
Worst part- they ask applicants to apply timely but can’t deliver decisions timely!
Original post by Anonymous
How does LSE call itself operating on a rolling basis? Rolling admission essentially means that if you apply early on, stronger odds of making the cut. But I see people who have applied for the same program as me but later than me, are getting offers while my application shows no update (no transcript drop).
If later applications are being viewed and sent offers before the first ones, what’s rolling about it?
Ridiculous and unfair in my honest opinion.
Worst part- they ask applicants to apply timely but can’t deliver decisions timely!

That is not rolling admission, that is early action. However, that is an American concept. In the UK, mostly all universities are rolling admission, and they give out offers based on your profile, not when you apply. I applied in November and I still haven't received anything, so don't worry.
Some people even said that sometimes the sooner they give a decision, the higher chance you are being rejected. If you still haven't received anything, maybe they are considering your application.
Also, how can you be sure people that are applying for the same program have the same profile as you? You can't, therefore their decision can be based on anything in your profile and we, the applicants, would probably never know.
Also, what do you mean they can't deliver decisions timely? They didn't give a date for when they would send out decisions? They only have the deadline of 15 May 2022, when they would have to finish sending out ALL offers, so they are not required to send anything before that.
LSE has been operating this way since forever, so I am pretty certain if they are being unfair and dishonest, people would have called them out, but I haven't seen anything being said about this.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by arthurtran22
That is not rolling admission, that is early action. However, that is an American concept. In the UK, mostly all universities are rolling admission, and they give out offers based on your profile, not when you apply. I applied in November and I still haven't received anything, so don't worry.
Some people even said that sometimes the sooner they give a decision, the higher chance you are being rejected. If you still haven't received anything, maybe they are considering your application.
Also, how can you be sure people that are applying for the same program have the same profile as you? You can't, therefore their decision can be based on anything in your profile and we, the applicants, would probably never know.
Also, what do you mean they can't deliver decisions timely? They didn't give a date for when they would send out decisions? They only have the deadline of 15 May 2022, when they would have to finish sending out ALL offers, so they are not required to send anything before that.
LSE has been operating this way since forever, so I am pretty certain if they are being unfair and dishonest, people would have called them out, but I haven't seen anything being said about this.

I didn’t say anything about profile. All I’m saying is an applicant applying to the same program but later is hearing back sooner. How does that make any sense? Especially if the university claims to admit people on a rolling basis. Time is key here.
Maybe you should go read up the graduate admissions page on the website. Admissions decisions typically come within 8 weeks. So keeping applicants in the dark is not right. That’s all I said. Please don’t misconstrue!
And maybe you should read some of the graduate applicants forums, you’ll see how long people wait to hear back or worse how long they’re kept on the waiting list (worse for international students).
Handling applications/admissions in the same manner for a long time doesn’t make it right. If people haven’t called it out doesn’t mean it’s gold standard. Somebody has to take the lead.
Original post by Anonymous
I didn’t say anything about profile. All I’m saying is an applicant applying to the same program but later is hearing back sooner. How does that make any sense? Especially if the university claims to admit people on a rolling basis. Time is key here.
Maybe you should go read up the graduate admissions page on the website. Admissions decisions typically come within 8 weeks. So keeping applicants in the dark is not right. That’s all I said. Please don’t misconstrue!
And maybe you should read some of the graduate applicants forums, you’ll see how long people wait to hear back or worse how long they’re kept on the waiting list (worse for international students).
Handling applications/admissions in the same manner for a long time doesn’t make it right. If people haven’t called it out doesn’t mean it’s gold standard. Somebody has to take the lead.

It's like you didn't read what I wrote.
The same applicant applying to the same program as you, but what if their profile is better than yours? Then they will process their profile before yours. That is rolling admission in the UK, as the UK has one system unlike the US.
Yes, it's TYPICALLY within 8 weeks, that is not a guarantee, and some people did hear back within 8 weeks, but again, it was not promised.
Secondly, I never said anything about it being a gold standard, but I am saying that this is how most universities in the UK operate, so maybe that is more of the norm so we shouldn't get too frustrated over it.
Third, I am myself an international student and I have been waiting for 3 months now, yes it is quite frustrating but again, the rolling basis does not mean time is key, it means they will evaluate and accept applications along the way, until the 15 May 2022 deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending