What are the odds of me getting an A* in A Levels with low As in AS?

Watch this thread
leviathan20
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone! I got my AS Level result last week, and I got 4 As (History, Economics, Psychology, and Business) and 1 B (Mathematics). I plan on retaking Math to maximize my chances of getting an A* in A Levels. I needed some insight into whether it's possible to get an A* in Economics, Psychology, and Business considering the splits I got told me I had an A in Paper 1 and B in Paper 2 in Economics, an A in Paper 1 and B in Paper 2 in Psychology, and a D in Paper 1 and an A in Paper 2 in Business. I ended up getting an A in all three of them in AS, but I am not sure if it's possible to get an A* in them in A2 because of these splits, since a lot of my teachers have told me that it's going to be very hard. Could someone clarify this (i.e. by quoting an example of someone you know going from a low grade in AS to a higher grade in A2 in a subject without retaking it)? Thanks!

I must add that I'm currently taking the CAIE board exams in Pakistan.
Last edited by leviathan20; 3 months ago
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by leviathan20)
Hi everyone! I got my AS Level result last week, and I got 4 As (History, Economics, Psychology, and Business) and 1 B (Mathematics). I plan on retaking Math to maximize my chances of getting an A* in A Levels. I needed some insight into whether it's possible to get an A* in Economics, Psychology, and Business considering the splits I got told me I had an A in Paper 1 and B in Paper 2 in Economics, an A in Paper 1 and B in Paper 2 in Psychology, and a D in Paper 1 and an A in Paper 2 in Business. I ended up getting an A in all three of them in AS, but I am not sure if it's possible to get an A* in them in A2 because of these splits, since a lot of my teachers have told me that it's going to be very hard. Could someone clarify this (i.e. by quoting an example of someone you know going from a low grade in AS to a higher grade in A2 in a subject without retaking it)? Thanks!

I'm not sure of examples of people but there are people on tsr who have improved their grades to an A* you could have a look at some of the forums for examples. I would suggest that you use these exams as a reflection on where you need to improve, look at the topics you need to improve and importantly why you dropped the marks e.g. is it due to lack of revision or need more practice on writing PEELs for psychology.
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by leviathan20)

Perhaps focus on achieving A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and History and then apply to Cambridge University and London University: LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS for Economics or even Law!!!

More importantly, focus on reading the examiners reports, studying the mark schemes to see where the marks were awarded and questions that are hard or unusual as well as questions that reoccur.
avery_
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i got AAB in my as exams and then A*A*A* in my real exams!
Last edited by avery_; 3 months ago
Retronomical
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Ah, good old days of TSR. Yes it’s more than achievable. I got ABC in my AS and A*A*A* in my A levels. And there’s so many more examples
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.53%
Not yet, but I will soon (55)
17.35%
No (124)
39.12%

Watched Threads