How to deal with depression/anxiety at work?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’ve been struggling a bit at work, some days are just too much and it’s quite a frequent occurrence, plus I’m often late. My unreliability is impacting work and they aren’t too happy with me I’m on the verge of being fired at some point, but many days I’ve lied and stated other reasons other than mental health issues. I briefly spoke to them a while back about anxiety but it hasn’t been fully disclosed, and I haven’t spoke about depression. How can I address this and what can I do when some days get too much to come in?
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Set two or three alarms at least three hours before you need to arrive at work and make the sole focus of each day planting your feet on the carpet and standing up each day. The rest of the getting ready can be on auto pilot (unless you drive to work) - Have a written time plan that you stick to to count down T minus etc until you leave the front door.

Are you doing the minimum of what is required of you at work? Why are you in this job - presumably by choice?

Do you understand everything that is required of you at work? If no ask your supervisor.

If the answer is Yes - you are doing OK - keep going. I don't know what line of work you are in - but you are so fortunate to be in a job. If you can increase your output or work mindset by 1% that is still a positive improvement and you might be able to keep your job if you enjoy it?

Take medical advice from your GP in the meantime. If your sleep patterns are AWOL you won't be work ready (no one is)

Try to keep focussing outwardly to meeting everyone at work and finding new things to do. Try not to define your life going forward by the depression that can consume you inside.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Have you explained your situation to them? I had a similar problem a while ago and telling them that there were some personal matters exploding in my life combined with being unwell (in both senses) they were very helpful and asked what they could do to assist.. worth asking your employer, if theyre not sympathetic if nothing else its a queue to find a better one
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve been struggling a bit at work, some days are just too much and it’s quite a frequent occurrence, plus I’m often late. My unreliability is impacting work and they aren’t too happy with me I’m on the verge of being fired at some point, but many days I’ve lied and stated other reasons other than mental health issues. I briefly spoke to them a while back about anxiety but it hasn’t been fully disclosed, and I haven’t spoke about depression. How can I address this and what can I do when some days get too much to come in?
You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.85%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.66%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.56%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (31)
25.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed