Durham by far the most racist uni?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Applied there already, was one of my top choices but know just looking at the sheer amount of articles on their racism problem on the net and the comments on their Instagram post on 2nd June 2020.

Why does Durham fail to address racist instances in a fair manner and why does it act like a deep Southern American university in the 1890's re-inventing the KKK.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Applied there already, was one of my top choices but know just looking at the sheer amount of articles on their racism problem on the net and the comments on their Instagram post on 2nd June 2020.

Why does Durham fail to address racist instances in a fair manner and why does it act like a deep Southern American university in the 1890's re-inventing the KKK.
I'm surprised that someone as hysterical and uncritical would have the correct grades to even make a realistic application.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'm surprised that someone as hysterical and uncritical would have the correct grades to even make a realistic application.
ouch
Anonymous #1
lmao okay - you probably wouldn't even understand
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
lmao okay - you probably wouldn't even understand
Maybe provide some links and context rather than just posting anonymously that "Durham by far the most racist uni?".

This is really a question for Durham rather anyone on TSR. Are you asking for people's experience of how Durham has handled instances of racism?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Admit-One)
Are you asking for people's experience of how Durham has handled instances of racism?
Precisely, they are notorious in the news for not being able to handle these situations in a good way - I also referred to a post made by Durham University's Instagram page on 2nd June 2020, and the comments show why people may have these concerns.
HaydenFordz
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Precisely, they are notorious in the news for not being able to handle these situations in a good way - I also referred to a post made by Durham University's Instagram page on 2nd June 2020, and the comments show why people may have these concerns.
Send a link, no one will be bothered to scroll through a year and a half of posts
oppiwall
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

So I presume you havent applied to study Logic or reasoning or American history..
HaydenFordz
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by oppiwall)
So I presume you havent applied to study Logic or reasoning or American history..
:rofl:
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
they probably just got rejected
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
aren't you lovely
J8674
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

I understand why you may have concerns but you are blowing it WAY out of proportion. There have been instances of racism at Durham, but Durham has always addressed them moreover you will find some racist people at any university you attend.

I am POC and attend Durham, I faced an instance of micro aggressive racism from a Durham local, but tbh I think he was more curious and didn't mean to be racist - some people (like yourself) take political correctness way too far.
The majority of people studying at Durham and the locals are just really lovely and nice.

The fact that you have this pre-conceived notion of Durham is wrong and just shows how little-minded you are and the comparison you make is highly exaggerated, not true and frankly quite stupid.

Additionally I remember the post on instagram you are alluding to and the comment section, and yes I will agree that Durham unlike some other universities has failed to address racism to the extent they should have, but that does not make them institutionally racist and most students there definitely not. You will find some racist bigots at Durham just like you would at any other university.
Last edited by J8674; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (15)
22.06%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.29%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.71%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
23.53%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
23.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise