English language-quotation marks and full stops

Watch this thread
Sb2005
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Does anyone know when you put the full stop in the quotation mark n when outside of it , when quoting from the text in your answer??

Most people say u put the full stop inside the quotation marks if the quote is a complete sentence n makes sense on its own ,but how come over here(see the pic attached) in the sample answer of my revision guide, it has been put inside when the sentence in incomplete ?
Attached files
2022-01-14 11.55.20.jpg (393.0 KB)
Sb2005
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by Sb2005)
Does anyone know when you put the full stop in the quotation mark n when outside of it , when quoting from the text in your answer??

Most people say u put the full stop inside the quotation marks if the quote is a complete sentence n makes sense on its own ,but how come over here(see the pic attached) in the sample answer of my revision guide, it has been put inside when the sentence in incomplete ?
Attached files
2022-01-14 11.55.20.jpg (393.0 KB)
click the file here as it's not working from the first link
Attached files
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
click the file here as it's not working from the first link
If you look at the original quote (the top of your screenshot), the full-stop is within the quotation marks. The subsequent discussion truncates this and only quotes a part of it. The full-stop is thus at the end of the quote because it was in the original: it's a verbatim quote.

Does that make sense?
Sb2005
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
If you look at the original quote (the top of your screenshot), the full-stop is within the quotation marks. The subsequent discussion truncates this and only quotes a part of it. The full-stop is thus at the end of the quote because it was in the original: it's a verbatim quote.

Does that make sense?
So does that mean if I were to quote part of a sentence that ends with a full stop (in the text) in my English exam I'd have to put it inside the quotation marks ??
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
So does that mean if I were to quote part of a sentence that ends with a full stop (in the text) in my English exam I'd have to put it inside the quotation marks ??
If you want to quote verbatim, yes. I wouldn't worry too much about it - it's a very minor point.
Sb2005
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
If you want to quote verbatim, yes. I wouldn't worry too much about it - it's a very minor point.
Thank you so much for ur help!
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much for ur help!
No problem
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
This is a matter of style and won't affect your mark. I used the American style and only dropped five marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.71%
The paper was reasonable (68)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
15.88%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.41%

Watched Threads