Underweight and don’t know why

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I just used a bmi calculator and I’m underweight even though I’m eating normal (normal for me anyway- I’ve never eaten breakfast and always had been a normal weight).

My family have said I looked really skinny and I just had noticed tbh. Im concerned now though. I can’t get drs appointment atm due to covid stuff.

Does anyone have any advice for being underweight or any tips for gaining weight?

Thanks
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
i'm naturally underweight too, it's been this way my whole life
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
if you're underweight, it's because you aren't eating enough
eat more, and/or exercise less
bigger portions, many snacks, make sure you're getting plenty of carbohydrates, proteins and fats

I've needed to gain weight before (I'm into running hence the runnersworld.com), these websites give fairly useful advice
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-gain-weight
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...to-gain-weight
https://www.runnersworld.com/nutriti...ght-healthily/

also NHS website
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...weight-safely/
Last edited by bl0bf1sh; 3 months ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Do you feel healthy?
Are you eating a balanced diet and doing regular daily exercise?
Are you happy with the way that you look?

BMI is not the most effective tool of assessing body fat content or whether body appearance is reasonably healthy.
It aims to estimate whether a person has a healthy weight by dividing their weight in kilograms (kg) by their height in meters (m) squared.
It does not take into account: bone density, muscle mass, waist circumference, overall body composition and biological sex differences.

BMI focuses upon height and weight.
BMI = weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared.
It is derived from the above simple math formula devised in the 1830s by Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet (a Belgian astronomer, mathematician & sociologist).

According to most criteria accepted around the world:
~ a BMI of 18.49 or below means a person is underweight
~ a BMI of 18.5–24.99 means they are of normal weight
~ a BMI of 25–29.99 means they are overweight
~ a BMI of 30–39.99 or more means they are obese
~ a BMI of 40 or more means they are morbidly obese

Critics have argued that BMI is flawed and leads to confusion & misinformation.
According to Prof Nick Trefethen from Oxford University's Mathematical Institute, "BMI divides the weight by too large a number for short people and too small a number for tall people,".
"So short people are misled into thinking that they are thinner than they are and tall people are misled into thinking they are fatter."
Last edited by londonmyst; 3 months ago
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I've been underweight all my life, my mom was underweight too up until her late 40s or even 50s.

People (and unfortunately some doctors too) who say you should eat more (if you eat normally) have no idea what they are talking about. I was eating the same amounts as my peers but not getting weight, if I had to eat more I'll feel sick, just like anyone who eats more than they can. Whenever I said that people treated me like I have an eating disorder.
The only two things that helped me a bit was starting a healthy (mostly vegan) diet and sports.
I didn't get much weight, but 164cm and transitioning from 41-42 to 48 (was even 51 before I got COVID), I think it is a great improvement.
I do eat more calories than I waste, but they are good calories and not just empty calories.

Anyways, try talking to a dietitian, do a blood test to see if there's any deficiency or a tendency to one...
Try to listen more to your body, I mean if you are feeling that something is bad for you don't do it, especially with overeating something. Eating more calories than you waste is very important, but don't eat too much of 'empty' calories or trying too hard to get more fat. More fat usually just gives acne and not stored as fat, that's how it works with thin people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (23)
38.98%
The paper was reasonable (21)
35.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
16.95%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
8.47%

Watched Threads