Feel guilty for taking rest days

Watch this thread
MikePL
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
For as long as I can remember I have exercised practically every day of the year for years except for illness or being on holiday. I would mix up my exercise routine between going the gym, swimming and running however when the first lockdown happened and gyms shut I started running every single day, I ran every day from March 2020 until mid-June 2021 say for except 10 days in total.

I used to love running but it has taken such a toll on my body I now swim 5 times a week and go to the gym the other two days. Anyway since the New Year I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my knees, I have spoken to a physio and they recommend that I have 1/2 rest days a week to give my body a chance to recover. I have decided to start using the weekend as my rest days because it allows me to have a lie in and I can take my dog for a walk so I am getting some light exercise.

I've only had one rest weekend so far but I feel incredibly guilty for not doing any exercise that makes me work up a sweat. How can I stop feeling guilty about taking rest days?
athena5967
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
hmm well do you have a hobby? this could be a chance to turn your free time into a method to develop a new skill, or, maybe try some different exercise that doesn't strain your knees and legs? like work another group of muscles in your arm or torso? other than that im not entirely sure what else you could do lol - the break might not seem like much fun but trust me, its better to take the break now before you do irreparable damage. it sucks knowing you can never do an activity how you used to ever again... just focus on the end goal - recovery!
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Keep in mind that the rest days will make your performance better on the days you do train. It's not during training that your body is improving. You're actually causing a mixture of stimulus and fatigue. It's when you rest that your body is making adaptation as well as dissipating fatigue. So the rest days are actually making you better. Too much fatigue though and your performance will get worse, and the risk of (further) injury goes up. So the rest days are not you wasting time. They're a necessary part of training properly.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can do low intensity activities like walking or stretching.

As far as guilt goes, you need to change your mentality to see resting as part of training, the same as sleep and diet.
MikePL
Rep:
(Original post by miser)
You can do low intensity activities like walking or stretching.

As far as guilt goes, you need to change your mentality to see resting as part of training, the same as sleep and diet.
I’ve decided I’ll be taking my dog for a walk on the days I’m resting but you’re definitely right, I need to change my mentality
super_hannah
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MikePL)
For as long as I can remember I have exercised practically every day of the year for years except for illness or being on holiday. I would mix up my exercise routine between going the gym, swimming and running however when the first lockdown happened and gyms shut I started running every single day, I ran every day from March 2020 until mid-June 2021 say for except 10 days in total.

I used to love running but it has taken such a toll on my body I now swim 5 times a week and go to the gym the other two days. Anyway since the New Year I have been experiencing a lot of pain in my knees, I have spoken to a physio and they recommend that I have 1/2 rest days a week to give my body a chance to recover. I have decided to start using the weekend as my rest days because it allows me to have a lie in and I can take my dog for a walk so I am getting some light exercise.

I've only had one rest weekend so far but I feel incredibly guilty for not doing any exercise that makes me work up a sweat. How can I stop feeling guilty about taking rest days?
Rest days are some of the most important days as these are the days where your muscles build and recover. Exercising 7 days a week is extremely intensive and you're probably not recovering enough for the next day. You will find taking 1-2 rest days a week will really help you and you will most likely get much more out of your training sessions because you will be more recovered, have more energy and as a result, perform better!
annonnymous16
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
what about joining a tennis club or rowing or something? then it's mainly your arms but you'll still work up a sweat
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Find a walking partner
MikePL
Rep:
(Original post by super_hannah)
Rest days are some of the most important days as these are the days where your muscles build and recover. Exercising 7 days a week is extremely intensive and you're probably not recovering enough for the next day. You will find taking 1-2 rest days a week will really help you and you will most likely get much more out of your training sessions because you will be more recovered, have more energy and as a result, perform better!
I had both Saturday and Sunday off from intensive exercise, all I did both days was take my dog for a walk and I felt a lot better. I actually woke up yesterday and wasn't aching for the first time in ages. I was worried that I would feel bloated and fat for not going the gym or going for a run but I felt fine.
super_hannah
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MikePL)
I had both Saturday and Sunday off from intensive exercise, all I did both days was take my dog for a walk and I felt a lot better. I actually woke up yesterday and wasn't aching for the first time in ages. I was worried that I would feel bloated and fat for not going the gym or going for a run but I felt fine.
That's great, try doing something like that every week and I can guarantee your body will thank you for it. When I have my rest days, I literally just go for a light walk like you did or I just chill! At the end of the day, just listen to your body as you don't want to be making yourself ill by burning yourself out.
tinyperson
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I like to take a rest day now and again.
Domingo1337
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I agree with the guys who wrote above about compulsory rest. we are not robots, yet))

If your body starts to send you signals, pain and so on. If your body is telling you something, it's pain in your joints, etc., then you should listen. You have to have a balanced diet/exercise/rest in your workout. Take care of yourself, good luck.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
IMO you need to show discipline to every part of your fitness and that absolutely includes resting.
tinyperson
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I took a rest day today as it was raining and I did not want to use the gym. I did some cooking, filled out some important paperwork whilst watching a movie, played Frustration and then went food shopping and napped for a bit. Then I showered and ate dinner. I had a pre birthday glass of wine and that was it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
38.24%
The paper was reasonable (22)
32.35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (13)
19.12%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
10.29%

Watched Threads