Mia12890
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
what work experience should i get to study pharmacology?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

Doing a week or two in a pharmacy could be possible. I personally did mine at a smaller independent Pharmacy so it's worth you getting in touch with your local one(s)

Best wishes.
Pharmacology isn't the same as pharmacy at uni - the former is the science behind pharmaceuticals, not a health professions degree. As such it doesn't require nor expects any work experience.

(Original post by Mia12890)
what work experience should i get to study pharmacology?
See above, there is no work experience required or expected for pharmacology - bear in mind though that pharmacology is not the same as pharmacy and if you want to become a pharmacist you need to do pharmacy. For a pharmacy degree it is likely they may want to see some work experience in which case the above advice is quite good and relevant.

However working in a pharmacy will give you no relevant experience for pharmacology which as indicated is a lab science that is quite separate from the health profession (it's related in the sense that pharmacology is also studied by pharmacists and that drugs that pharmacologists work on may later be dispensed by pharmacists, but that's about it). Some kind of biological lab based work experience would be the most relevant but it wouldn't be necessary whatsoever and it's unlikely you could find substantive experience of this type as a 6th form student.

To make it clear: pharmacology is to pharmacy as biomedical sciences is to medicine.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed