The Student Room Group

Why would parents charge their offspring rent?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I would be embarrassed to charge my children rent ngl. By the time I own my home, there’s nothing they would be able to give me really and that includes money so as long as they pay for their own stuff and handle some of the bills (since that’s something they utilise and will increase the cost of) and don’t mess my house up I’d be happy to let them continue to live in my home. My parents would’ve done the same for me - why wouldn’t i do the same for my kids? Then when they own their own home, they can do the same thing for their children and their children will appreciate it. I really don’t see anything wrong w this.
Reply 41
my parents are perfectly comfortable, yet they still charge me £100 each month for rent. this includes living in a nice house, food, meals out and more. this is to reaffirm independence, learn to become an adult and learn to adjust my spending around necessities!!

i really don't mind!! sure i could spend that £100 on something nice, but learning to sacrifice some of your income for your basic necessities is something i'd like to learn earlier on than later. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by hungrysalamander
I'll make an exception if you're planning to move out.

Well obviously? They aren’t gonna stay there forever lmao this is under the premise that they have a timeframe and a plan that they will stick to in order to save for a home themselves. Until then, they’ll build some credit, aggressively save some money and think about where they want to live. That’s not something they’ll be able to lie about either and if they aren’t keeping on top of it I would try to help but if they aren’t willing to help themselves then it just won’t work out - and they can leave
Original post by j25_8
Well obviously? They aren’t gonna stay there forever lmao this is under the premise that they have a timeframe and a plan that they will stick to in order to save for a home themselves. Until then, they’ll build some credit, aggressively save some money and think about where they want to live. That’s not something they’ll be able to lie about either and if they aren’t keeping on top of it I would try to help but if they aren’t willing to help themselves then it just won’t work out - and they can leave

I was mostly pointing to people like this
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=96494921

Don't forget the unemployed 38-year-old guy living with his parents who posted on here recently because he was upset at them asking him to get a covid booster
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with this. Maybe also asking them pay for the household’s Netflix account or something to ‘contribute’ without it being a massive financial burden.

Yeah. If it was my child my rule would be A) they have to save up where possible or B) they pay rent if they're not willing to do either then it's out of the house.
Reply 46

Obvious troll post cmon mate😩
The main thing for me is that parents make sacrifices for their kids. They do it unconditionally for eighteen years, and then they do it at least somewhat for the next however long.

But once their kids are adults, the parents shouldn't be the only ones making sacrifices. It's time for the dynamic to change. "Mum can you fund my daily life" has to stop (or at least to be reserved for unforeseen and unavoidable emergencies). If you're a working adult living for free in your parents' home, what sacrifices are you making? They're still making significant financial sacrifices. No, buying them a few gifts isn't making sacrifices. Put your big boy pants on and start paying a third of the council tax, a third of the food bills, a third of the electricity bill and so on, every month, while loading and unloading the dishwasher as often as everyone else does - more often, if you never cook or do laundry or the food shop (or whatever). No, you not doing it isn't just fine because it was "the family dynamic" when you were a small child. Your mother is not the maid even if you have spent the last 22 years treating her as one. It's time you stepped up and pulled your weight even if she says you don't need to.

They genuinely won't take the money? Set up an account and put the money in it anyway - no need to even tell them it exists now. It'll be available for their care when they are old and frail. If it turns out they never need it, you're in luck. They won't ask you for help with household jobs? Find something which needs doing and do it. Not once, or once a week, but every time they're doing household stuff and you aren't.

FWIW, I was thinking about this, and I don't think parents should be asking even a working adult child to be contributing to mortgage payments, unless the fact they're still living at home is actively preventing the parents from downsizing or moving somewhere cheaper. Their fair share of all the other household bills, though - absolutely. It is significantly more expensive to have three adults living in a house than two.
Reply 48
Think this has been said already but once you're 18 and earning money it's only fair that you pay your way, you're not a dependent any more & you're using their food, electric, etc..
Original post by aliaa03
💀 stop throwing around the word racist. stereotyping something to be british culture is not racist

The way the term was used ie comparing it to Italians was racist and others have compared it to what Aian families do!
Some people view it as a learning step when becoming an adult, a very small step in taking control over their own life. I know lots of people who when in college had to pay say £200/month, now this money is realistically makes little difference to 2 parents both working (and the parents probably shell this out in utility bills alone...) but at 18 it's quite a lot and makes people value and respect things.

Also some parents cant afford to not ask for a little bit of money if their is another income earner in a low-income household.

My parents never charged me rent, but I dont think it's a bad thing either way, it's up for every parent to make their own decisions.
Reply 51
teach them to become independent and to take care of themselves as they would in the real world (well that's what my parents did you me). my parents didn't change me this exuberant amount of money tho; maybe a quarter of what i would pay to a landlord. at the time i didn't like it ofc and no doubt few teens/18yr olds would want to pay rent to their parents. it's only in hindsight when you appreciate the value in it.
Original post by Muttley79
The way the term was used ie comparing it to Italians was racist and others have compared it to what Aian families do!

that’s like saying indian people eat more curry than english people do ? is that really racism or just a huge stereotype that english people have ?
My parents struggled to put 6 children through private school when we were forced to move from a grammar school area to a non grammar school area. The sacrifice paid off and I rapidly earned more than them but continued living at home. Paying a small rent seemed the correct thing to do. I was fed and my laundry was taken care of without me asking for anything. It was time to pay back a little of what I had received and let my parents breath a bit, and even allow them a few "luxuries". Doing chores when I was younger was normal. Both my parents worked to cover the unexpected cost of schooling, they shouldn't have had to do a second day of work when they got home.
So I'm neither for or against paying rent. It depends on each individual situation. It can be a valuable life lesson in budgeting for young adults who have had things "easy", but it can also prevent someone from saving enough to move out. Each family and their circumstances are different.
Reply 54
At the end of the day though our kids are just gonna be on the property ladder much sooner than yours. In exchange for what? A couple of years of paying off someone else’s mortgage instead? Yeah I think my kids will be just fine
Original post by j25_8
At the end of the day though our kids are just gonna be on the property ladder much sooner than yours. In exchange for what? A couple of years of paying off someone else’s mortgage instead? Yeah I think my kids will be just fine

It made absolutely no difference to when I got on the property ladder or when I finished paying off my mortgage!
Original post by EOData
My mortgage is also paid off but the council tax, water rates and utility bills still come to £700 a month.

Hi

How it is possible that your bills are so high? Maybe check if you can have better deals in some companies?
I still have a mortgage and still with all the bills plus mortgage, I am paying less than 700. (3 bedroom home)
Sometimes moving to a different provider can help you save lots of money.

Comparing what happens in different cultures is not racist, it is simply that - comparing....
Original post by black tea
Comparing what happens in different cultures is not racist, it is simply that - comparing....

in your opinion. we've had this thread many times - it's point is to incite.
in your opinion. we've had this thread many times - it's point is to incite.

No not in his opinion. It’s literally a fact. We can compare between two countries, races and ethnicities and point out the negatives and positives. That’s not being racist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending