Noise In University Halls

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hiya! I’m going to be to be headed off to uni in September but there’s one thing that I’m worried about. I have ADHD and am quite sensitive to sounds so I’m apprehensive about moving into halls with a bunch of 18/19 year olds who are ready to fully exercise their newfound freedom.

There are certain sounds that always annoy me, like very loud upbeat music, abrupt high-pitched laughter, yelling and shouting, that sort of thing. When I’m medicated and have gotten a good amount of sleep, I can tolerate it for maybe 5 ish minutes before getting annoyed, but that’s rarely the case. Usually, I’ve not had enough sleep and after hour 6 of being awake, I can’t tolerate any noise, and absolutely not after dark. Silence is always preferable but if I can keep the volume down by shutting my door and/or it can be drowned out by having my earphones at 40%< (any louder than that and it just becomes an annoyance itself) then that’s fine too. When I’m not medicated… well, let’s just hope it never comes to that 😁

As long as I can remove myself from it, it’s fine, otherwise it gets very frustrating and overwhelming, it gives me a headache and I feel very closed in. But I dread the idea of having flatmates or people nearby that fill the dorms with unbearable thumping EDM every night or invite loads of rowdy people round for the whole night etc.

How do/did you find the noise in halls? I know I’m gonna have to rough it out during fresher’s week but how about after? And anything you’d recommend or wish you did?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hiya! I’m going to be to be headed off to uni in September but there’s one thing that I’m worried about. I have ADHD and am quite sensitive to sounds so I’m apprehensive about moving into halls with a bunch of 18/19 year olds who are ready to fully exercise their newfound freedom.

There are certain sounds that always annoy me, like very loud upbeat music, abrupt high-pitched laughter, yelling and shouting, that sort of thing. When I’m medicated and have gotten a good amount of sleep, I can tolerate it for maybe 5 ish minutes before getting annoyed, but that’s rarely the case. Usually, I’ve not had enough sleep and after hour 6 of being awake, I can’t tolerate any noise, and absolutely not after dark. Silence is always preferable but if I can keep the volume down by shutting my door and/or it can be drowned out by having my earphones at 40%< (any louder than that and it just becomes an annoyance itself) then that’s fine too. When I’m not medicated… well, let’s just hope it never comes to that 😁

As long as I can remove myself from it, it’s fine, otherwise it gets very frustrating and overwhelming, it gives me a headache and I feel very closed in. But I dread the idea of having flatmates or people nearby that fill the dorms with unbearable thumping EDM every night or invite loads of rowdy people round for the whole night etc.

How do/did you find the noise in halls? I know I’m gonna have to rough it out during fresher’s week but how about after? And anything you’d recommend or wish you did?
Hi!

Have you spoken to your university halls team about this? They can always place you in the quieter area of halls, where there should be less noise. You'll also be placed with similar people who would like to be in a quiet calm area. Also, when you move in maybe explain to your new flatmates about yourself and they should then be understanding.

I found halls noisy, just because mine was opposite 2 clubs, so I heard the people in the queue outside. However, I got some earplugs and an eyemask and this really helped.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

Have you spoken to your university halls team about this? They can always place you in the quieter area of halls, where there should be less noise. You'll also be placed with similar people who would like to be in a quiet calm area. Also, when you move in maybe explain to your new flatmates about yourself and they should then be understanding.

I found halls noisy, just because mine was opposite 2 clubs, so I heard the people in the queue outside. However, I got some earplugs and an eyemask and this really helped.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Thank you so much for the advice, I’ll have a talk with my uni halls team and ear plugs are a good shout!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
18.52%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
11.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
14.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
11.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
25.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
18.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed