Was I scammed of my £40?

Watch this thread
Bazookaboobs
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So, I parked up in Tesco and opened my car door. It DID slightly touch the car on my right and the driver jumped out, making comments like 'you alright, you sure you're ok... you dented my car, you sure it wasn't you, etc etc.' Just trying to be intimidating.

I thought huh, how could my car door make a dent on his car?? He started to get rude and loud - he said he has camera footage so I said go have a look and did my shop. I came back 5 mins. later and he's there with his wife taking pictures, touching his car, etc etc. I was like ffs.

So I got back and he starts shouting, making comments like 'I was sitting in my car and it shook because you opened your door so hard'... guys - I drive a cra*py, small Peugeot. He then asks his wife to take pictures of me. I tried to talk to him and calm him down but he was so rude 'you swung the door like a king' looool.

So I asked him what would make him happy and he said to pay him. He wouldn't give me a price and asked how much I thought - I told him straight that he's scamming me, so stop taking the mick. I ended up giving £40 for the tiniest dent that I highly doubt I caused. I didn't want to go deal with him when I have been so unwell, so cba. My friends are calling me stupid for doing it and that I should have drove off but I felt bad that in case I had done it then it is my fault (which I doubt) but like..

What do you think?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I think you hit their car with your door then acted like it was a big joke.
Bazookaboobs
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
I think you hit their car with your door then acted like it was a big joke.
How am I acting like it's a 'big joke?'

My car door barely touched his car - I even have camera footage, and the dent he claimed was no where near where the door would hit it. Also, the dent was TINY and near to his wheels, I would have had to have hit his wheels.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The right thing to do in that situation is to exchange insurance details and let your insurance company deal with it. You'd almost certainly have never heard about it again, especially if you had photographic evidence that your door was nowhere near the dent in question.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bazookaboobs)

My car door barely touched his car - I even have camera footage, and the dent he claimed was no where near where the door would hit it. Also, the dent was TINY and near to his wheels, I would have had to have hit his wheels.
So you know for certain that you didn't cause damage. Have footage of you not causing damage. And the damage that was visible didn't line up with where any possible contact could have been made.

If all true, yes, you were scammed. As above, should have just exchanged details regardless of how hard they kicked off.

Might want to warn Tesco that someone is trying this on their grounds.
Bazookaboobs
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
The right thing to do in that situation is to exchange insurance details and let your insurance company deal with it. You'd almost certainly have never heard about it again, especially if you had photographic evidence that your door was nowhere near the dent in question.
I kind of panicked - he was really loud, aggressive and intimating. I tried to deal with it as calm as I could but he was rude. I am a young driver so got worried insurance would get involved and etc etc would happen.

When I suggested exchanging details, he wasn't having it - I did feel really pressured.

Oh well.
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Sounds like you might have been scammed, but know that opening a car door onto someone else's (even gently) can leave a nasty vertical dent, and even if it's small it's a pain/expensive to get fixed!
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Nasty situation to be in. Yes, you were scammed, but at least you didn't get hurt.

With hindsight your best option was probably to go to the Tesco customer support desk after you finished shopping, explain what had happened, and ask if security would walk you to your car. (If you didn't realise he'd still be there, making an excuse about needing to go to the cashpoint when he continued to demand cash would have got you back to the building safely.)
username5839543
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You probably aren’t the first or the last person that he has done this to.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bazookaboobs)

*shrug* You just don't sound like you're taking it seriously or feel you did anything wrong, despite beginning with hitting someone's car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads