The Student Room Group

Mature student - can I use my employer as a reference?

I've emailed my old tutor and they said it's been 10 years since I left college so they no longer have my file. Unfortunately, they can't provide an academic reference. I'm currently working in a charity shop and I've been there for almost year and my manager has agreed to give me a reference. The only problem is I asked my tutors but they are unable to offer me a reference/predicted grades because I haven't completed enough of the course. They said once you've completed certain units of the course you contact them again and they would be happy to provide a reference as well as predicted grades. Would my application still be considered if I used my employer? Or would I get rejected straightaway. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Sania9518
Bump

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

There is no need to bump your thread twice within 15 minutes of posting it. You should not bump your thread more than once every 12 hours and not for the first day after posting it, unless it drops off the front page of the forum you posted it in, which would not be the case after 15 minutes even in the most prolific forums on here.

That aside, usually unis want to see a reference from someone that can attest to your academic ability and skills. Note also that unis usually also want to see some evidence of recent academic study within the last 3 years from mature students (which would usually be the source of the academic reference). I would recommend you get in touch with any unis you wish to apply to in order to ascertain if a reference from your job would be suitable and if they can tell you if they would consider you without recent academic study.

I imagine though they will expect you to undertake some academic study before applying through so I would suggest exploring some options for that (e.g. an Access to HE course, A-levels, OU modules, etc). The provider of that course should be able to write you a proper academic reference as well :smile:
Agree that it's a good idea to check before applying. However just to note that an unacceptable ref wouldn't usually be grounds to reject you. If it was necessary to consider your app, they'd just contact you for another one. The only issue there is if they set you a relatively short deadline to provide it.

It may worth explaining that you can provide an academic ref by DATE X. They may ask you to submit the application without one for now, (but you shouldn't do that unless they agree it's okay).

Professional refs are usually okay for mature students, but if you are completing a course now, they'll almost certainly want an academic one.
I used my employer for my reference but it was because I was working in the social care sector and I was applying for an Allied Health Profession degree so they have very similar skills and I had through work done some recent study - I had to get my SVQ2 to obtain my SSSC registration.

You haven't said what type of subject your prospective degree is in?
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
There is no need to bump your thread twice within 15 minutes of posting it. You should not bump your thread more than once every 12 hours and not for the first day after posting it, unless it drops off the front page of the forum you posted it in, which would not be the case after 15 minutes even in the most prolific forums on here.

That aside, usually unis want to see a reference from someone that can attest to your academic ability and skills. Note also that unis usually also want to see some evidence of recent academic study within the last 3 years from mature students (which would usually be the source of the academic reference). I would recommend you get in touch with any unis you wish to apply to in order to ascertain if a reference from your job would be suitable and if they can tell you if they would consider you without recent academic study.

I imagine though they will expect you to undertake some academic study before applying through so I would suggest exploring some options for that (e.g. an Access to HE course, A-levels, OU modules, etc). The provider of that course should be able to write you a proper academic reference as well :smile:

I've been out of education for a while and need a reference to apply to UCAS. I've asked my tutor and they said they cannot provide a reference until I have passed certain units of the course. I enrolled on an Access to HE in December so I can't ask them as they have only known me for a short period of time. Also, I can't ask my old college tutor because it's been 10 years since I left college. The only option is to ask my employer where I work and she said she's willing to give me a reference. Ideally, I need an academic reference but this is not possible. Any advice would be appreciated. Btw I am applying for Accounting and Finance for 2022 entry.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Which course are you applying for?
I've been out of education for a while and need a reference to apply to UCAS. I've asked my tutor and they said they cannot provide a reference until I have passed certain units of the course. I enrolled on an Access to HE in December so they haven't known me long enough. Also, I can't ask my old college tutor because it's been 10 years since I left college. The only option is to ask my employer where I work and she said she's willing to give me a reference. Ideally, I need an academic reference but this is not possible. Any advice would be appreciated. Btw I am applying for Accounting and Finance for 2022 entry.

UCAS offers some guidance for referees on Access courses to provide references on their website, copied here:

If the applicant is on an access course, foundation course or other one-year course, you might not have known them long enough to write a full reference. In this case, please say so and explain that you’re providing a temporary reference (including as much detail as you can) and confirm you will provide a complete reference next spring. All supplementary references should be sent directly to all the chosen course providers, and should quote the applicant’s Personal ID.

I would suggest discussing that approach with your tutor. You may need to contact the unis you plan to apply to in order to confirm this acceptable though...note "next spring" in the above would really be "later this spring" as that is really more aimed at those applyin by the Oct 15th deadline.

Honestly after 3 months of an intensive access course I'm surprised the tutor feels unable to write a reference for you...
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending