alevel choices (again)

Watch this thread
TazmeenX
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi yall hehehe

okay so idk whether to take economics or geography for my third a level. i also do not know if i want to take chemistry or biology for my third. im doing sociology and maths alongside these. i wanna do law and become a judge hehehhe

Economics:
-essentially no pros or cons other than the fact it seems pretty interesting?
-are the exams hard? is it beneficial for the future? is it fun?
-is it a requirement for any uni courses?
-i looked through past papers and the questions were okay like they werent INTERESTING interesting but they were still cool ig

Geography:
-i like it and im doing well in it so far (throughout year 10 and year 11 so far ive been getting mostly 9s)
-it might be better for the future and some unis want it for different courses
-im not a massive side of the physical side of geography although i am able to put my head down and memorise it and some parts of it are pretty interesting

okay now moving onto my other little issue

biology:
-lowkey love the classes rn
-are the concepts easier to understand than chemistry?
-i feel like i could keep up w the content if i worked super hard and made flashcards all the time and revised them but idk how long that would last
-i feel like if in the future, if i wanted to go do something sciency aka medicine (v unlikely but idk just in case), theyd want chem over bio?
-i love biology tho just lowkey hate exams
-ive heard the mark schemes get worse in a-levels
-been getting 8/7 in it (hoping im getting a 9 in last weeks mock)

chem
-currently loving it but a tiny bit less that biology
-i feel like the concepts are difficult to understand in chemistry and i take forever to understand anything
-idk how much content is in it (probably should do some research)
-could be useful for med?
-got 8/7s then got a 9 in the autumn term and hopefully an 8 in this mock

i was lowkey going to drop maths and just take up one of the other subjects im having a problem over but then decided to keep it bc i could need it if i want to go into finance and stuff

a small problem is that i already gave in my choices as chem, economics, maths and sociology and i have my fingers crossed that they'll let me change it-idk tho hhhhh ig its better to do it before the year starts rather than during the year idk

ty in advance mwah <3
Lotty Ro
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Most places will let you change you courses so that shouldn't be an issue.
I would say try doing 4 of them at first - maths, sociology, and 2 others - and then you can drop one if you like, and can see which you prefer.

I would say for law, unless you really think you might decide to do medicine and you want to keep options open, there is no benefit in taking both chem and bio, since they don't apply to law that much. so i would say only take both chem and bio if you really enjoy them both or if you think you might take medicine. sciences are hard and you want to be sure that you're committed to them or that they'll be useful for you.

more humanities might do you good for a subject like law, so i would say take at least one of geography or economics, their critical thinking skills and (esp for economics) combination of data and sciency stuff with writing and more essay type stuff would be useful for law. but then, i don't do law so i'm not the best person to answer haha
dsfdmkvkfmm
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by TazmeenX)
hi yall hehehe

okay so idk whether to take economics or geography for my third a level. i also do not know if i want to take chemistry or biology for my third. im doing sociology and maths alongside these. i wanna do law and become a judge hehehhe

Economics:
-essentially no pros or cons other than the fact it seems pretty interesting?
-are the exams hard? is it beneficial for the future? is it fun?
-is it a requirement for any uni courses?
-i looked through past papers and the questions were okay like they werent INTERESTING interesting but they were still cool ig

Geography:
-i like it and im doing well in it so far (throughout year 10 and year 11 so far ive been getting mostly 9s)
-it might be better for the future and some unis want it for different courses
-im not a massive side of the physical side of geography although i am able to put my head down and memorise it and some parts of it are pretty interesting

okay now moving onto my other little issue

biology:
-lowkey love the classes rn
-are the concepts easier to understand than chemistry?
-i feel like i could keep up w the content if i worked super hard and made flashcards all the time and revised them but idk how long that would last
-i feel like if in the future, if i wanted to go do something sciency aka medicine (v unlikely but idk just in case), theyd want chem over bio?
-i love biology tho just lowkey hate exams
-ive heard the mark schemes get worse in a-levels
-been getting 8/7 in it (hoping im getting a 9 in last weeks mock)

chem
-currently loving it but a tiny bit less that biology
-i feel like the concepts are difficult to understand in chemistry and i take forever to understand anything
-idk how much content is in it (probably should do some research)
-could be useful for med?
-got 8/7s then got a 9 in the autumn term and hopefully an 8 in this mock

i was lowkey going to drop maths and just take up one of the other subjects im having a problem over but then decided to keep it bc i could need it if i want to go into finance and stuff

a small problem is that i already gave in my choices as chem, economics, maths and sociology and i have my fingers crossed that they'll let me change it-idk tho hhhhh ig its better to do it before the year starts rather than during the year idk

ty in advance mwah <3
hi i do maths and economics with psychology and i actually enjoy economics once you get the concepts you can just waffle about it and its not the bad. i was going to take chemistry instead of economics but changed last minute as i didnt want the stress as i would need it for my course at uni. i would say dont take bio or chem unless youll need for your degree cause its crazy hard. also ive heard geography isnt bad theres coursework so yeah maths and economics go together well and maths sociology and geography do to so. i got an 8 in maths at gcse but it was a predicted as i was class of 2020 but i was working at a seven and it really isnt that bad 1st year is really just building from gcse and second year is just builiding from first so just go from what course you want to do at uni and pick from there which look the easiest and are required/needed and suit well.
good luck
lcvedingdong
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
economics bae.

It will help a lot in law depending on the sector you go into.
TazmeenX
Rep:
(Original post by lcvedingdong)
economics bae.

It will help a lot in law depending on the sector you go into.
jshdhgdhh idk i just don't think i like the sort of stuff in the past papers and stuff yk??
TazmeenX
Rep:
(Original post by Lotty Ro)
Most places will let you change you courses so that shouldn't be an issue.
I would say try doing 4 of them at first - maths, sociology, and 2 others - and then you can drop one if you like, and can see which you prefer.

I would say for law, unless you really think you might decide to do medicine and you want to keep options open, there is no benefit in taking both chem and bio, since they don't apply to law that much. so i would say only take both chem and bio if you really enjoy them both or if you think you might take medicine. sciences are hard and you want to be sure that you're committed to them or that they'll be useful for you.

more humanities might do you good for a subject like law, so i would say take at least one of geography or economics, their critical thinking skills and (esp for economics) combination of data and sciency stuff with writing and more essay type stuff would be useful for law. but then, i don't do law so i'm not the best person to answer haha
if i were to do either bio or chem (i want to keep only one science bc they're interesting and keep doors open but two would be too much), which one would u recommend me doing?? same w economics and geography, which one of the two should i do??
thegeek888
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Maths, Chemistry and Economics would be the best option for Law at the most prestigious universities!!!
TazmeenX
Rep:
(Original post by thegeek888)
Maths, Chemistry and Economics would be the best option for Law at the most prestigious universities!!!
oooh okie ty ty
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
34.83%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.73%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise