The Student Room Group

I'm currently about to pick my GCSEs and I'm slightly conflicted on what I should do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TirednessInc
I would really recommend Graphics if it’s an option at your school, since you want to potentially go into design and also because in statistical computer modelling it’s very very useful. I didn’t do graphics myself but all of my coding friends did their graphics gcse and it really helped.

Also personally, i’m not seeing the reasoning behind choosing business for A-level economics. Unless it’s something you like doing, totally go ahead! But from a computer standpoint, the most important a levels would potentially be computer science, mathematics (maybe further maths too) and physics.

Something that’s really important to consider too is that you genuinely have to like the subject! The more you enjoy it, the better you’ll be and the more likely you are to revise it, so as cheesy as it sounds, follow your heart!

I think Graphics in Our school is called DECC or something, my brother says it like that but I genuinely have no clue how to spell it. Basically it's what I assume is Graphics... which is 3D modelling on computers. Not sure what I was think of economics, I just thought it'd be smart to be able to handle money well as that's quite an important part of Adulthood (I assume). And All the subjects I chose I love doing, whenever They're on my timetable I'm excited : 0
Reply 21
Original post by skylark2
Your GCSE choices are fine (it's quite difficult for them to not be fine to be honest, schools won't let you drop anything crucial), but setting up for A level economics is an odd choice if you want to do computer science or related at university. You'll want maths for sure, preferably further maths, maybe something artistic if you're into the visual side of game design, maybe physics, maybe CS.

Yeah, I probably won't do art, despite being good at it and fairly enjoying art in my own time (Art at school bores me to death), so that's why I went DT for the artistic option
Reply 22
Original post by skylark2
University fees are capped in the UK and almost every university charges the same - Russell group unis aren't any more expensive than anywhere else.

Don't self-select yourself out of a good university because you (mistakenly) think it's only for rich people. I know it's several years yet, but a sadly large number of people never even apply for places they could have got into.

Ah Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Also do I need a language to get into a place like UCL? I'm not sure if my teacher was just lying to convince me to do her subject ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by Zack Green
Ah Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Also do I need a language to get into a place like UCL? I'm not sure if my teacher was just lying to convince me to do her subject ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nope you don’t need it, it used to be like that but not anymore. They just want you to pick their subject.
Reply 24
Original post by Honey57
Nope you don’t need it, it used to be like that but not anymore. They just want you to pick their subject.

Ah ok, Thought that. Wouldn't a language Make it more easier for me to get jobs compared to other people w/o a language?
Ah ok, Thought that. Wouldn't a language Make it more easier for me to get jobs compared to other people w/o a language?

Nope. Your GCSEs in maths, English language and science is the most important and those that you want to take for alevel. But obviously, try your best in your GCSEs anyway. Unless you want to become an interpreter, employers won’t look at language GCSEs.
Reply 26
Original post by Honey57
Nope. Your GCSEs in maths, English language and science is the most important and those that you want to take for alevel. But obviously, try your best in your GCSEs anyway. Unless you want to become an interpreter, employers won’t look at language GCSEs.

Ah okay, I will try my best... otherwise my mum would probably kill me x_x

I actually got my first programming job over multiple candidates who were at least as qualified as me because I had A level French - the (small) company had lots of French-speaking clients who needed tech support. But that's a fluke rather than something you can plan for.

Being competent in another language can be useful in itself. Do you like the idea of holidays in the non tourist trap bits of France, for instance? Sure you can go without a word of French, but it's a lot easier and less stressful if you can communicate.
Reply 28
Well I mean (it sounds so British of me) but we mainly go to countries that speak English well enough, places like Cyprus, Italy etc. Where people in stores can at least communicate with us well enough for us to be able to do what we need...

…And tbh if I choose a language, I really feel like I'd hate it and not try in it.. which is what I feel about French/Spanish now
Reply 29
Your options sound great! What year are you in? I'm in year 10 and doing computer science for GCSE. I'm actually really surprised to find there are other people like me who are really interested in computer science, tech and especially VR. I'm also considering going into the tech industry. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about computer science GCSE!
I was considering a Language, Most likely Spanish since I'm better at Spanish than French, but I don't find Spanish interesting... despite being good at it. I'd rather do a GCSE in Business just in case I don't do A level Economics/Politics than I still have it as a GCSE to put on my CV. The only A-level I'm completely solid on is Computer studies, since my brother also does A-level Comp :smile:

Don't (and I say this as a current languages undergrad) do Spanish if you don't like it. You'll just be setting yourself up for a bad time.

In all honesty, the only subjects that really matter at GCSE are English language and maths. Just make sure you pick things that you enjoy.
I was considering a Language, Most likely Spanish since I'm better at Spanish than French, but I don't find Spanish interesting... despite being good at it. I'd rather do a GCSE in Business just in case I don't do A level Economics/Politics than I still have it as a GCSE to put on my CV. The only A-level I'm completely solid on is Computer studies, since my brother also does A-level Comp :smile:

Business isn't as highly regarded as Economics and Politics are, a GCSE in it won't really make much difference, if you want to learn how to handle money you don't need to do an A-Level for it, economics is much more than individual budgeting and bank accounts

I'm surprised there were people who thought that for double science you only pick two, i suppose the name is a bit misleading hence why it's usually called combined (not you OP, others who tried to give you advice...)

Your options are fine just don't do a language or business studies because it will look good. 9 in Drama is much, much better than 4 in Spanish

Quick Reply

Latest