physics acceleration resultant forces question

Watch this thread
M.H4kim
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
a 1500kg car accelerates at 1.5m/s^2 along a horizontal road.If the frictional forces acting against the car's motion total 1000N, what driving force is exerted on the road by the car's wheels?

pls help
I used f=ma to give total force as 2250N and subtracted 1000(frictional force) from this to give me 1250N as a driving force.
However this answer is wrong and I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by M.H4kim)
a 1500kg car accelerates at 1.5m/s^2 along a horizontal road.If the frictional forces acting against the car's motion total 1000N, what driving force is exerted on the road by the car's wheels?

pls help
I used f=ma to give total force as 2250N and subtracted 1000(frictional force) from this to give me 1250N as a driving force.
However this answer is wrong and I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Why have you subtracted 1000?

Write out the equation of motion properly
M.H4kim
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why have you subtracted 1000?

Write out the equation of motion properly
F=ma?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
F=ma?
Yes and what is 'F' ie the nett force? Write out the equation in full
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by rose.clm)
you
EDIT your post - you are breaking forum rules by giving an answer and you aren't helping the OP understand
M.H4kim
Rep:
(Original post by rose.clm)
you would add on the 1000 frictional force, as the 2250 is the EXTRA force that is required to accelerate.
I still don't get why u add 2250 and 1000
M.H4kim
Rep:
because it is asking for just the driving force. Not the sum of the frictional forces and the driving force
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
because it is asking for just the driving force. Not the sum of the frictional forces and the driving force
F is the nett forces acting on the car which is what??? Write down ALL the forces
Last edited by Muttley79; 3 months ago
rose.clm
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
EDIT your post - you are breaking forum rules by giving an answer and you aren't helping the OP understand
ahh sorry I didn't know.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
HAve you sorted this out now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
37.68%
The paper was reasonable (22)
31.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (14)
20.29%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
10.14%

Watched Threads