Are isotope ratios in pharmaceutical drugs monitored?

Watch this thread
~gingkobiloba~
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
may or may not be a dumb question but I genuinely can't find an answer on google, if anyone knows I'd really appreciate an answer as I'm struggling to write about this part of my EPQ
coco:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Well, isotopes only have different physical properties (melting point, boiling point, etc.) from having different weights. There's no change in the chemical properties between the different isotopes so I don't think it would have too much of an effect in terms of pharmaceuticals (as long as they're all stable of course) but I'm not too sure.

Also, yes, ginkgos are awesome.
~gingkobiloba~
Rep:
(Original post by coco:))
Well, isotopes only have different physical properties (melting point, boiling point, etc.) from having different weights. There's no change in the chemical properties between the different isotopes so I don't think it would have too much of an effect in terms of pharmaceuticals (as long as they're all stable of course) but I'm not too sure.

Also, yes, ginkgos are awesome.
I thought that too until I came upon an experiment of these maternal rats that were given different isotopes of lithium and started acting antagonistically it was so weird- one group of rats was literally cannibalising their pups and the other group was overly affectionate. But of course it is just one experiment but I have heard of some others and just thought it was a pretty interesting topic to go into but google is not telling me anything regarding the monitoring

and thanks for the username appreciation<3
coco:)
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ~gingkobiloba~)
I thought that too until I came upon an experiment of these maternal rats that were given different isotopes of lithium and started acting antagonistically it was so weird- one group of rats was literally cannibalising their pups and the other group was overly affectionate. But of course it is just one experiment but I have heard of some others and just thought it was a pretty interesting topic to go into but google is not telling me anything regarding the monitoring

and thanks for the username appreciation<3
Oh, that's really interesting! Maybe it's to do with the size of the rat? So not a big issue in humans. Perhaps look into veterinary pharmaceutical regulations and things? Also if you find the scientific paper for that experiment there's usually some references so you can have a look through those too and there may be more background on the effects of isotopes.
~gingkobiloba~
Rep:
(Original post by coco:))
Oh, that's really interesting! Maybe it's to do with the size of the rat? So not a big issue in humans. Perhaps look into veterinary pharmaceutical regulations and things? Also if you find the scientific paper for that experiment there's usually some references so you can have a look through those too and there may be more background on the effects of isotopes.
I'll take a look through that thanks for the advice I do hope it is to do with the size of the rat as it would be very confusing otherwise but guess I'll keep looking until I get a clearer idea
Last edited by ~gingkobiloba~; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads