Waiting to get a car = lower insurance premiums?

Watch this thread
_z7z_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there

I've read that as you get older (and when you turn 25), car insurance stops being so costly. I was just wondering whether, if I wait to get a car for a couple of years (I'm 18 rn), that will make my premiums less expensive due to the age thing, or whether you need to have a car (and insurance obvs) in order to have a driving history, making your premiums lower. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just tryna see how to make having a car more affordable.

Thanks
user432
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
regardless of if you drive or not, at 25 the premium will plummet compared to what you would pay now.

however, if you bought a car now and didn't crash till you were 25, you'd have 7 years of no claim bonus, which will reduce premiums even further. up to you but i'd get a car if you can. try get your parents on as additional named drivers to lower the price and just buy a 1L ****box.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _z7z_)
Hi there

I've read that as you get older (and when you turn 25), car insurance stops being so costly. I was just wondering whether, if I wait to get a car for a couple of years (I'm 18 rn), that will make my premiums less expensive due to the age thing, or whether you need to have a car (and insurance obvs) in order to have a driving history, making your premiums lower. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just tryna see how to make having a car more affordable.

Thanks
Its true that your insurance goes down when you get to 18, 21 and 25. But so does having driving history/no claims.
If you are 18, then id start driving now rather than wait 3 years till you get to 21. Once you start getting a bit of no claims, your insurance will go down by quite a bit.
Obviously add parents as named drivers and all the usual stuff to bring your premium down.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
'Kind of'. But yeah, it's a mix of loads of factors.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _z7z_)
Hi there

Thanks
Put a parent as a named driver - experience is important as well as age
_z7z_
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
Its true that your insurance goes down when you get to 18, 21 and 25. But so does having driving history/no claims.
If you are 18, then id start driving now rather than wait 3 years till you get to 21. Once you start getting a bit of no claims, your insurance will go down by quite a bit.
Obviously add parents as named drivers and all the usual stuff to bring your premium down.
Great, thanks for the advice
(Original post by StriderHort)
'Kind of'. But yeah, it's a mix of loads of factors.
fair enough- so you wouldn't recommend putting of getting a car?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Put a parent as a named driver - experience is important as well as age
thanks for the tip
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you can find companies that offer their named drivers the chance at the end of the year to get No Claims Discount (NCD) if they take out a policy - that can help - (An older experienced driver lowers the premium, and then when you are 21+ you might feel brave enough to get your own policy?) Don't ever lie the main driver. It can really backfire if it turns out you are not and there is a big claim.

Sometimes even NCD is not the be all and end all. It can be a bit of a con. If you declare any accident (even non blameworthy ones) some insurance companies automatically put your premiums up as a result (even though you have protected no claims) It really is a minefield and knowing which companies to avoid. Ask the questions in advance for what hasn't yet happened.

The other option is getting your Mum/Dad/Grandad/Grandma/ Aunt/Uncle etc to have a policy where you can be insured for say three times a year at a week at a time or a few days at a time and just pay for what you need. It can make driving affordable for going home. If I find the insurance companies that do this I will let you know. I think NFU do it (don't quote me)
_z7z_
Rep:
(Original post by Muttly)
If you can find companies that offer their named drivers the chance at the end of the year to get No Claims Discount (NCD) if they take out a policy - that can help - (An older experienced driver lowers the premium, and then when you are 21+ you might feel brave enough to get your own policy?) Don't ever lie the main driver. It can really backfire if it turns out you are not and there is a big claim.

Sometimes even NCD is not the be all and end all. It can be a bit of a con. If you declare any accident (even non blameworthy ones) some insurance companies automatically put your premiums up as a result (even though you have protected no claims) It really is a minefield and knowing which companies to avoid. Ask the questions in advance for what hasn't yet happened.

The other option is getting your Mum/Dad/Grandad/Grandma/ Aunt/Uncle etc to have a policy where you can be insured for say three times a year at a week at a time or a few days at a time and just pay for what you need. It can make driving affordable for going home. If I find the insurance companies that do this I will let you know. I think NFU do it (don't quote me)
wow, thank you for that! Really useful insight, appreciate it
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _z7z_)
fair enough- so you wouldn't recommend putting of getting a car?
It will really come down to how much you need or want one tbh, how long are you willing to wait vs how cheap. it will get.

One way or another you will prob pay a high first year then it starts getting better.. the longer you have a licence and the longer you are insured with no claims both probably have a higher weight than age for most insurers.

I learned in my 30s and found that most of my quotes for small cars were still slightly on the high side, £1000-1800, but they didn't seem to mind so much quoting me for more powerful vehicles like 3,4,5 litr engines *shrug*
_z7z_
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
It will really come down to how much you need or want one tbh, how long are you willing to wait vs how cheap. it will get.

One way or another you will prob pay a high first year then it starts getting better.. the longer you have a licence and the longer you are insured with no claims both probably have a higher weight than age for most insurers.

I learned in my 30s and found that most of my quotes for small cars were still slightly on the high side, £1000-1800, but they didn't seem to mind so much quoting me for more powerful vehicles like 3,4,5 litr engines *shrug*
great thanks for elaborating, appreciate it :top:
TheMcSame
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can wait, but on the flipside, you'll potentially miss out on NCB discounts. I say potentially because... Well, there's always that chance you end up hitting someone.
Chamgui
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by _z7z_)
Hi there

Thanks
It's better to get driving experience though and I think it will reduce your 2nd year if you have no accidents
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads