Salaried teacher training

Watch this thread
westie15
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi,
I am going to do my salaried teacher training next September. I understand that as I will still be training, I will be paid within the unqualified teacher pay scale which currently starts at just over £18,000.

My question is, as I will be on a reduced timetable does this mean that the above salary will be pro-rata? As in if I’m on a 60% timetable will I only receive 60% of the £18,000? Or is this just the baseline salary regardless of my timetable.

TIA
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by westie15)
Hi,
I am going to do my salaried teacher training next September. I understand that as I will still be training, I will be paid within the unqualified teacher pay scale which currently starts at just over £18,000.

My question is, as I will be on a reduced timetable does this mean that the above salary will be pro-rata? As in if I’m on a 60% timetable will I only receive 60% of the £18,000? Or is this just the baseline salary regardless of my timetable.

TIA
Dear Tia (westie15),

I hope you are well today.

From my experience, the short answer is, no, your timetable should not impact your salary.

When I was a Teaching Assistant, the role was advertised as pro-rata. This basically meant the position did not take holidays or half terms into consideration when getting paid (you still receive a set monthly salary but the weeks you are not working in the school are deducted). This all depends on a TA's contract, be it 'temporary/permanent term-time-only' or 'temporary/permanent full-time'.

During my teacher training, I too received an unqualified teacher salary; contracted as 'temporary full-time' therefore not on a pro-rata basis. Regardless, at the beginning of my training year, my reduced timetable had no reflection on my pay.

I would certainly advise you to check with payroll to be sure.

Best wishes.
Tom
Last edited by Get into Teaching; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise