Hess' Law: Absolutely Desperate

Watch this thread
kmj005
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
*I'm an IB student in dire need of some help, please*

Question
Calculate the enthalpy change of formation of NO2 (g) from the following data:
2Pb(NO3)2 (s) ---> 4NO2 (g) + 2PbO (s) + O2 (g) ∆H = +602 kJ/mol
∆Hof [Pb(NO3)2 (s)] = -452 kJ/mol
∆Hof [PbO (s)] = -217 kJ/mol
Abraham_Otaku
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Let's see... A method I know of is one that is pretty tedious.. but it works.
I got my final answer as 33kJmol^-1.. What you need to do is, First simply write out the enthalpy of formation of PbO as well as Pb(NO3)2 and the equation for enthalpy of formation of NO2.. you compare the three equations(from the given information) with the enthalpy of formation of NO2, and with that you add the equations-
2Pb(NO3)2 (s) ---> 4NO2 (g) + 2PbO (s) + O2 (g) ∆H = +602 kJ/mol
Pb(s) +N2(g) +3O2(g)--> Pb(NO3)2 ∆H= -452kJ/mol
Pb(s) + 0.5O2(g) ---> PbO(s) ∆H= -217kJ/mol
and all of these equations should add up(of course, you have to rearrange the equations as well as multiply the equations so that you can cancel out the PbO and Pb(NO3)2 in both sides of the equation, and don't forget to change the signs of the enthalpy change as you flip the equations!)and to finally form the equation( 2N2(g) +4O2(g)---> 4NO2(g) ∆H=132kJ/mol, and now using the definition of enthalpy of formation- the enthalpy change when ONE mole of a substance is formed from its elements in their standard states.. you multiply the entire equation which you found by- 1/4 which gives you 0.5N2(g) +O2(g)--> NO2(g) ∆H=33kJ/mol..
hope that helped! let me know if there's something that needs clarification(or if my final answer is wrong as I may have made a stupid mistake in the maths somewhere lol)
kmj005
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thanks so freakin much bro. You're a lifesaver
Last edited by kmj005; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (146)
40.56%
The paper was reasonable (165)
45.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (32)
8.89%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
4.72%

Watched Threads