Kinetics question on rate of reaction......

Watch this thread
Abraham_Otaku
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Shouldn't the graph of a concentration-time graph have a negative gradient curve? as opposed to an increasing gradient curve? I'll send an attachment below, and my working along with it..
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  7f2a23d4-7be2-4294-88a0-5d95b93dd1c1.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  49.1 KB
Attached files
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
this is what the mark scheme for this question shows.. although it doesn't make any sense at all.. shouldn't the concentration of the acid decrease with time?? which is as reaction rate decreases?? I would understand the shape of the graph if it were one for the volume of gas evolved.. but its not.. please help.
Attached files
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
this is what the mark scheme for this question shows.. although it doesn't make any sense at all.. shouldn't the concentration of the acid decrease with time?? which is as reaction rate decreases?? I would understand the shape of the graph if it were one for the volume of gas evolved.. but its not.. please help.
Would have been better to put this in Chemistry rather than maths - I've requested admin to move it.

That said, I'd take the concentration in the graph to be that of CaCl_2.

Since there is an excess of HCl, then it's concentration can't start at zero, so graph is clearly incorrrect.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 4 months ago
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
oh.. I wasn't aware that it was in the maths forum...

(Original post by ghostwalker)
Would have been better to put this in Chemistry rather than maths - I've requested admin to move it.

That said, I'd take the concentration in the graph to be that of CaCl_2.

Since there is an excess of HCl, then it's concentration can't start at zero, so graph is clearly incorrrect.
So does that mean that the graph given in the mark scheme is wrong, and mine is correct?(sorry if this is a stupid and obvious question)
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
oh.. I wasn't aware that it was in the maths forum...

So does that mean that the graph given in the mark scheme is wrong, and mine is correct?(sorry if this is a stupid and obvious question)
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Yes, your graph looks correct.

Concentration of HCl decreases from the start at a decreasing rate over time, down to a constant, non-zero, value since there is an excess of HCl.
Also the curve for the powder will be below that of the chips, since the powder will react faster; until they come together at the constant final value.

Edit: Assuming equal weights of chips and powder and the same concentration of HCl at the start.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 4 months ago
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
thank you!

(Original post by ghostwalker)
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Yes, your graph looks correct.

Concentration of HCl decreases from the start at a decreasing rate over time, down to a constant, non-zero, value since there is an excess of HCl.
Also the curve for the powder will be below that of the chips, since the powder will react faster; until they come together at the constant final value.

Edit: Assuming equal weights of chips and powder and the same concentration of HCl at the start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (225)
42.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.16%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise