The Student Room Group

Building muscles at the gym

Do you have to wait until your muscles don't ache anymore to train again? Do the muscles need more time to strengthen or is it okay to train again 2 days later even though you're aching a bit still
Reply 1
Ideally, you should wait until the soreness is at least almost completely gone. If that's what you mean by "aching a bit still" it's probably okay.

If you're still considerably sore... I mean, you could still train, and it will probably make the soreness feel better after you've warmed up. But the point of training is to improve your performance. Even if you just want to build muscle, you do this by improving what your muscles can handle over time. If you're still sore, you're not fully recovered. Your muscles will still be carrying fatigue from your last workout and not had the chance to adapt fully. This will definitely negatively impact your next work out. So yeah, you could train. But no, it won't be optimal. After a couple of weeks of consistent training you won't be feeling sore too much anyway.

If you really want to do something in the gym, you can just train parts of your body that aren't sore.
Hi, the answer to this is complicated and not easy to summarise quickly. But in general yes, you need 48hours rest for any body part you've trained. As for what you're doing you should have a look at the FAQ I wrote a number of years ago now. It's pretty good and nothing has really changed in fitness

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757
Original post by erollafson1140
Do you have to wait until your muscles don't ache anymore to train again? Do the muscles need more time to strengthen or is it okay to train again 2 days later even though you're aching a bit still

I won’t lie, I still train regardless of the ache or not.
Probably wait until the soreness subsides a bit or has gone completely. If you want to train just train the parts of your body that aren't aching.

Quick Reply

Latest