Getting into translation without a degree - is it possible?

Watch this thread
sadie_m2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm in a really awkward situation at the moment - due to my own circumstances I'm not sure if uni's right for me but I'd love to do something with languages especially translation. Is it even possible to get anywhere in that field without a degree? Obviously I'd need some other kind of certification as well as it takes a lot of work to be a translator but every time I've looked into even freelance translation the requirement is always a bachelor's degree as a minimum. Can anyone help me out? For the record I applied to uni, got accepted and took a gap year but now I'm considering going down a different path
Last edited by sadie_m2003; 3 months ago
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sadie_m2003)
I'm in a really awkward situation at the moment - due to my own circumstances I'm not sure if uni's right for me but I'd love to do something with languages especially translation. Is it even possible to get anywhere in that field without a degree? Obviously I'd need some other kind of certification as well as it takes a lot of work to be a translator but every time I've looked into even freelance translation the requirement is always a bachelor's degree as a minimum. Can anyone help me out? For the record I applied to uni, got accepted and took a gap year but now I'm considering going down a different path
Hi sadie_m2003

I have just finished an introduction to Translation studies module and according to the lecturer most translation companies would expect a masters in Translation Studies at least. There is a surprising amount of theory involved, at least I was very surprised!

Depending on the languages you are expert in, you may get lucky but as it is a very competitive field, I wouldn't imagine you will get very far.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
try translation websites
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise