justjas33
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
*closed*
Last edited by justjas33; 3 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
It'd be the same as any other non-law degree - you could still go into the field, you'd still have to take the SQE to qualify as a solicitor or for the bar take a graduate diploma in law (or modules from one at least) to have in total a qualifying law degree. It might have the benefit of setting you up better to succeed in either of those areas with subject specific knowledge of actual academic law.

Bear in mind something like half of all solicitors didn't study law for their undergraduate degree at all.
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It'd be the same as any other non-law degree - you could still go into the field, you'd still have to take the SQE to qualify as a solicitor or for the bar take a graduate diploma in law (or modules from one at least) to have in total a qualifying law degree. It might have the benefit of setting you up better to succeed in either of those areas with subject specific knowledge of actual academic law.

Bear in mind something like half of all solicitors didn't study law for their undergraduate degree at all.
Ah okay. Thank you! Would I have to do a law conversion? It’s a shame though as I thought the degree being an LLB was “enough” so to speak and it was still a qualifying law degree.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by justjas33)
Ah okay. Thank you! Would I have to do a law conversion? It’s a shame though as I thought the degree being an LLB was “enough” so to speak and it was still a qualifying law degree.
Well, you said it wasn't accredited which I took to mean it was not a qualifying law degree (a lot of joint honours courses in law aren't) - you should check this with the uni to confirm.

However a qualifying law degree is only required to become a barrister - to become a solicitor now you just need any degree and to take the SQE (you need to do the SQE even if you do a QLD LLB). If you wanted to become a barrister you would probably at least need to take modules from a conversion course (dependent on which of the core areas you didn't cover in your main degree) to meet the requirements.

You could just as well do a degree in criminology sole rather than the joint honours if you wanted and your path to qualifying as a lawyer would look much the same as with a non-qualifying LLB i.e. the same for becoming a solicitor and with one extra step to become a barrister. Like I said though having some background in academic legal stuff may be helpful for going through those processes regardless.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by justjas33)
Hi justjas33

Thought I'd jump on here as I feel your pain. I did an LLB in Scotland and then moved to England, which then meant it wasn't a qualifying degree in England- so as the other poster says above it's like having a non-law degree and yes you will have to do a law conversion course.

I did the MA Law at the University of Law to convert. You can get a Masters Loan to help with it.(https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility) They also do full or partial scholarships. I got a loan as I hadn't learned about the scholarships in time (it's best to apply as early as possible). [https://www.law.ac.uk/study/scholarships-bursaries/]

The only thing I can say about the LLB, is it definitely helps with work on the MA so don't be disheartened. I have now moved onto the Bar Practice Course with the University of Law.

But there are other routes into law that you can look at here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well, you said it wasn't accredited which I took to mean it was not a qualifying law degree (a lot of joint honours courses in law aren't) - you should check this with the uni to confirm.

However a qualifying law degree is only required to become a barrister - to become a solicitor now you just need any degree and to take the SQE (you need to do the SQE even if you do a QLD LLB). If you wanted to become a barrister you would probably at least need to take modules from a conversion course (dependent on which of the core areas you didn't cover in your main degree) to meet the requirements.

You could just as well do a degree in criminology sole rather than the joint honours if you wanted and your path to qualifying as a lawyer would look much the same as with a non-qualifying LLB i.e. the same for becoming a solicitor and with one extra step to become a barrister. Like I said though having some background in academic legal stuff may be helpful for going through those processes regardless.
Honestly the difference is a little confusing, I thought the LLB meant it was all you needed to be assured that it was a proper law degree so to speak, I think the accreditation is an added bonus to show that the degree has been reviewed and considered to contain all you need. But tbh the fact that regardless of doing a law degree or non-law you’ll still have to do the SQE helps me out significantly. An LLB isn’t as essential as it used to be I feel, unless you want that background in legal knowledge like you said and the extra time to learn it. Thanks for your help, appreciate it!
justjas33
Rep:
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi justjas33

Thought I'd jump on here as I feel your pain. I did an LLB in Scotland and then moved to England, which then meant it wasn't a qualifying degree in England- so as the other poster says above it's like having a non-law degree and yes you will have to do a law conversion course.

I did the MA Law at the University of Law to convert. You can get a Masters Loan to help with it.(https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility) They also do full or partial scholarships. I got a loan as I hadn't learned about the scholarships in time (it's best to apply as early as possible). []https://www.law.ac.uk/study/scholarships-bursaries/]

The only thing I can say about the LLB, is it definitely helps with work on the MA so don't be disheartened. I have now moved onto the Bar Practice Course with the University of Law.

But there are other routes into law that you can look at here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
It does! Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (220)
42.23%
The paper was reasonable (224)
42.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.21%
It was TERRIBLE (29)
5.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed