The Student Room Group

IGCSE year problem?

Hello, I'm a International student and I have started my IGCSE studies as a private candidate. I have planned to be joining year 11 in an independent school next September (2022). So, when will I have to write my test? in 2023 or 2024? I'm 15 from last July. here's my second question If I'm writing my IGCSEs in 2024 do I have to start my Year 10 next September or should I be studying from last year September.
If you are turned 15 in July 2021, this means you are in the equivalent of UK Year 11, and if you were in a UK school you would be taking your GCSEs (or IGCSEs in your case) in summer 2022.

Anybody born between 1st September 2005 to 31st August 2006 is currently in Year 11, studying to take GCSEs in summer 2022
Anybody born between 1st September 2006 to 31st August 2007 is currently in Year 10, studying to take GCSEs in summer 2023

It sounds as though you were born in July 2006, am I correct?

This means, if you take your IGCSEs in summer 2003, you're going to be taking them a year later than usual, but it's not a big problem as you can still go to college straight after that.

Most schools do study the material over the course of 2 years though (over Years 10 and 11), so yes, if you're following the school system you should have already started studying by now if you want to take exams in summer 2023.
The good news is that it's entirely possible to catch up. If you want to get on track with the Year 11s for when you start at the independent school, start learning the syllabi now for each subject, and aim to be about half way through by the time you start school.
Get some textbooks and work your way through them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If you are turned 15 in July 2021, this means you are in the equivalent of UK Year 11, and if you were in a UK school you would be taking your GCSEs (or IGCSEs in your case) in summer 2022.

Anybody born between 1st September 2005 to 31st August 2006 is currently in Year 11, studying to take GCSEs in summer 2022
Anybody born between 1st September 2006 to 31st August 2007 is currently in Year 10, studying to take GCSEs in summer 2023

This means, if you take your IGCSEs in summer 2003, you're going to be taking them a year later than usual, but it's not a big problem as you can still go to college straight after that.

Most schools do study the material over the course of 2 years though (over Years 10 and 11), so yes, if you're following the school system you should have already started studying by now if you want to take exams in summer 2023.
The good news is that it's entirely possible to catch up. If you want to get on track with the Year 11s for when you start at the independent school, start learning the syllabi now for each subject, and aim to be about half way through by the time you start school.
Get some textbooks and work your way through them.

Thank you for your post, and you are correct, I've born in July 2006. Do you mean I can start my year 11 this September? I've already bought coursebooks and textbooks and currently studying the syllabus for year 10. I'm going to study the year 10 until September 2022. I'll be moving to the United Kingdom this September (2022) and I have planned to join an independent school for the year 11 that teaches IGCSE when I move there. Can I do like this or must I do my IGCSE this year?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

And since I can see even adults take IGCSE, I don't think it is going to be a big age problem. And I want to know whether I can take the test in 2024, may Or is it better for me if I take it in summer 2023 since I'm already one year late. I don't feel bad about being studying with one year less class than me.
Reply 4
Original post by Monishagar M
And since I can see even adults take IGCSE, I don't think it is going to be a big age problem. And I want to know whether I can take the test in 2024, may Or is it better for me if I take it in summer 2023 since I'm already one year late. I don't feel bad about being studying with one year less class than me.

If you were aiming to go to a state school in England then they wouldn't let you in Year 11 in September 2022 - you'd have to go to college and do whatever Level 2 courses they'd let you do. As you're aiming at an independent school then they might let you join Year 11 in September 2022 but they would be very unlikely to let you join Year 10 then as you'd be 2 years too old. I suggest you contact some independent schools to ask if they would let you join Year 11 a year late.
Original post by EOData
If you were aiming to go to a state school in England then they wouldn't let you in Year 11 in September 2022 - you'd have to go to college and do whatever Level 2 courses they'd let you do. As you're aiming at an independent school then they might let you join Year 11 in September 2022 but they would be very unlikely to let you join Year 10 then as you'd be 2 years too old. I suggest you contact some independent schools to ask if they would let you join Year 11 a year late.

or will there be any possibilities to self educate, I mean to be homeschooled? but I have a doubt with self-study since nowadays they are doing access based and not exams I doubt if it is a teachers access based results the year I planned to do the IGCSE, I won't be able to get a results?
Reply 6
or will there be any possibilities to self educate, I mean to be homeschooled? but I have a doubt with self-study since nowadays they are doing access based and not exams I doubt if it is a teachers access based results the year I planned to do the IGCSE, I won't be able to get a results?

Anyone can self study at any age- - entirely on their own, by studying a distance learning course, by getting a tutor or with a combination of all 3. It's looking very unlikely that exams will be cancelled this Summer and I presume they'll also happen in 2023.
Original post by EOData
Anyone can self study at any age- - entirely on their own, by studying a distance learning course, by getting a tutor or with a combination of all 3. It's looking very unlikely that exams will be cancelled this Summer and I presume they'll also happen in 2023.

Thank you for your help. And I also want to know about this, Can I use English for second language sourcebook endorsed for 2024 examinations to sit IGCSE exam for 2023, I'm asking because I've got one or should I buy an old one?
Can I use English as a second language sourcebook endorsed for 2024 examinations to sit the IGCSE exam for 2023, I'm asking because I've got one or should I buy an old one?
Reply 9
Thank you for your help. And I also want to know about this, Can I use English for second language sourcebook endorsed for 2024 examinations to sit IGCSE exam for 2023, I'm asking because I've got one or should I buy an old one?

AS I'm in the UK my knowledge of IGCSEs, particularly English as a second language, is pretty sketchy. I have no idea but the CAIE website may well summarise the differences which will help you to decide.
Original post by EOData
AS I'm in the UK my knowledge of IGCSEs, particularly English as a second language, is pretty sketchy. I have no idea but the CAIE website may well summarise the differences which will help you to decide.

Ok, Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest