UCAS and 'disability' section....?

Watch this thread
mondayblues70
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I feel like I should put I have 'disabilities' on my UCAS application; I have two, one of which is physical but I don't actually think it's classed as a disability (although it does affect me quite a bit) and the other is my mental health lol.

I know that unis can't reject you based on disability but they can just say it was for another reason tbh. Idk if I say I have two they'll be like nahhhh that's two too many.

Anyway my main question is it says 'Further information about your disability', then 'Your chosen universities or colleges will use this information to provide you with information on the support available'. Do I actually need to write down what I have or can I just leave it blank? If I put I have two disabilities then don't explain it they could be like wth does she have and Idk if this section is to be like 'this is what I want in regards to how to help me'. But then it does say it's for unis to 'provide info' and do I really need info? - can I not write about my problems in more depth when/if I get an offer/apply for DSA or something?

ALSO if I put I have no disability does that mean I can't apply for DSA?

Thanks
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mondayblues70)
I feel like I should put I have 'disabilities' on my UCAS application; I have two, one of which is physical but I don't actually think it's classed as a disability (although it does affect me quite a bit) and the other is my mental health lol.

I know that unis can't reject you based on disability but they can just say it was for another reason tbh. Idk if I say I have two they'll be like nahhhh that's two too many.

Anyway my main question is it says 'Further information about your disability', then 'Your chosen universities or colleges will use this information to provide you with information on the support available'. Do I actually need to write down what I have or can I just leave it blank? If I put I have two disabilities then don't explain it they could be like wth does she have and Idk if this section is to be like 'this is what I want in regards to how to help me'. But then it does say it's for unis to 'provide info' and do I really need info? - can I not write about my problems in more depth when/if I get an offer/apply for DSA or something?

ALSO if I put I have no disability does that mean I can't apply for DSA?

Thanks
Hi mondayblues70,

This is a really good question, and as a student with a disability myself (Epilepsy), I will do my best to answer from my personal experience applying to universities, and hopefully this will clear up some of your questions.

Firstly, you are correct that universities can't reject you based on a disability, and absolutely should not be rejecting you because you have 2. This would go against the Equality act of 2010, and is illegal. While a university could turn around and say they rejected you for another reason, if the sole reason they don't want you is because of your disabilities, you have to ask yourself the question of whether that university was really a a good option for you to begin with. While I would love to say that no university would do this, from my experience of open days, where one of my focusses was looking for what support the university could provide, and whether they considered lower academic attainment in the past due to disability when considering an application, I was very quickly shown that different universities have very different takes on disabilities and the ability to accept them and see past them in a person, with one universities hostility deducing me to tears.
For me, this allowed me to quickly decide which universities were not only likely to give me an offer based on academics, but also provide the support I would need as I went through uni considering any circumstance, so when applying, I felt happy to disclose my disability. Assuming most universities are wanting to know your disabilities for honest reasons, the benefit of disclosing them is that the universities can provide you with relevant information on how to get support/ what you are entitled to as a student at university. You could save this and write to the university later, however the responses will likely take longer to get to the right people, so it is probably better to be upfront about it.
With regards to your final question, you only need to disclose your disability to SFE (Student Finance England) to apply for DSA as far as I am aware, not to UCAS, although I would recommend full disclosure from filling out UCAS to SFE, as it will not only highlight for you which universities want you for all of you, but also it means you can get the most out of the support that each university has available. A fear of not being accepted by a university because of disability is a very real one, but by being open about your disability, it may save you from being accepted into a university only to find that the support they offer won't cover you if you need it to.

I hope this offers some clarity, and if you have any further questions feel free to let me know
Isabel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (15)
15.79%
The paper was reasonable (45)
47.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
29.47%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
7.37%

Watched Threads