The Student Room Group

A level chem

tldr: got 37% ( D ) in my mocks for chem, need a B ( 55%)

I'm going to start uplearn, and finish it, anyone have any other ideas?
Reply 1
Hii, I know youre probably sick of hearing it but past paper questions will be your saviour!! I personally found uplearn didnt really help me - although im sure others have found it beneficial, as i still didnt know how to answer the questions and felt content on some topics was missed out
Reply 2
Original post by CatInTheCorner
tldr: got 37% ( D ) in my mocks for chem, need a B ( 55%)

I'm going to start uplearn, and finish it, anyone have any other ideas?

Hey I'm also planning to use uplearn to save my chem grade
Original post by mjay738
Hii, I know youre probably sick of hearing it but past paper questions will be your saviour!! I personally found uplearn didnt really help me - although im sure others have found it beneficial, as i still didnt know how to answer the questions and felt content on some topics was missed out

How is uplearn? What would you say it did and didn't do? I'm assuming it's topic and content walkthrough followed by exam questions? Was your issue that it was self-motivated? I'd be ok kicking myself up the butt and getting on with it :smile:
Reply 4
How is uplearn? What would you say it did and didn't do? I'm assuming it's topic and content walkthrough followed by exam questions? Was your issue that it was self-motivated? I'd be ok kicking myself up the butt and getting on with it :smile:

I thought it was brilliant for simplifying and condensing topics, but was useless when i tried to answer exam questions from the content i had learned. There wasnt really any application of topics so although i sort of understood, i still couldn't get the marks. There was also a lot of content missed out - for example on nitration of benzene (this stuck out to me a lot). I am also very self-motivated and that wasnt the issue. Maybe it just didn't suit me.
Original post by mjay738
I thought it was brilliant for simplifying and condensing topics, but was useless when i tried to answer exam questions from the content i had learned. There wasnt really any application of topics so although i sort of understood, i still couldn't get the marks. There was also a lot of content missed out - for example on nitration of benzene (this stuck out to me a lot). I am also very self-motivated and that wasnt the issue. Maybe it just didn't suit me.

Oh crud, my issue is exam questions. Is it the same for everyone applying it for chem? I'm AQA, what are you?
check out the physicsandmathstutor and chemguide websites, they've got flashcards, past exam papers/questions and super condensed notes that hit specification points (pretty sure for all exam boards, i did OCR). I found websites such as uplearn and seneca to be less effective since the knowledge isn't really being applied to proper exam questions.
Reply 7
Oh crud, my issue is exam questions. Is it the same for everyone applying it for chem? I'm AQA, what are you?

also AQA
I have found the chem text book was really useful in combination with loads of questions from mathsandphysicstutore and past papers.
It does depend because almost all of my friends didn't like the book
Reply 9
Tailored tutors is literally unbeaten for fully understanding the mark schemes and content for chem and bio. Just keep getting free trials with burner emails.
Hi, can anyone give me feedback? I'm condensing the textbook and finding that really helpful. I think I get through a chapter in an hour or two, and I should have the course finished in a month or so. Is that a good method? Then it's just the math I don't know, right?

Quick Reply

Latest